What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

Pls tell us something about this pretty shaped brush (I've got one with a similar handle in jade green), if you don’t mind. I'd be interested to learn about the specs of your copy and how the knot behaves. 😀 Thx.
The handle is the same as Connaught's Jade boar brush. The knot is Omega's Super Badger and as such, the handle comes embossed with a gold Omega logo.

As it happens, Omega also make this brush in jade (model 6209) 🙂

1673778156639.png

The knot is 24mm with a 59mm loft and is beautifully soft, with great flow through and it whips up a frankly ridiculous amount of lather. Basically, it is a face latherer's dream! But Omega's Silvertip knot is even better...

Omega get the balance between knot size and density just right in my opinion which is why I much prefer them to the offerings from Simpsons etc. Even my Chubby 1 Super can't compete.

The handle is the same as Connaught's Jade boar brush. The knot is Omega's Super Badger and as such, the handle comes embossed with a gold Omega logo.

As it happens, Omega also make this brush in jade (model 6209) 🙂

View attachment 1588491

The knot is 24mm with a 59mm loft and is beautifully soft, with great flow through and it whips up a frankly ridiculous amount of lather. Basically, it is a face latherer's dream! But Omega's Silvertip knot is even better...

Omega get the balance between knot size and density just right in my opinion which is why I much prefer them to the offerings from Simpsons etc. Even my Chubby 1 Super can't compete.
Ah, thanks. I wasn’t aware that the ivory handle is the same as the jade one , despite the colour...The ivory colour looks stunning.

Coincidentally, I own said 6209 you mentioned. That's been the brush I was talking about in my recent post.

The knot of my brush measures 25/55mm (I measured the knot back in the day when it arrived). I guess every knot is a bit different, specs-wise.

20230115_121437.jpg

I totally agree on our verdict regarding the face feel. My knot is silky smooth and soft, too. Due to the soft backbone, this knot is different to every other badger brush I own - I enjoy this specialty, thus it's a keeper.

Some might judge the low amount of backbone a bug, for you (and for me👍) it's a delightful feature (though I basically prefer knots with a higher degree of backbone)!
However, it's not a knot for everyone. I'd say it's a badger brush for those who love soft synthetic knots and are not predominantly looking for a knot with firm backbone.

I'll use mine soon again, it's scheduled for the upcoming Tabac Tuesday. The knot has no issues even with a harder soap... my preferred use case with this knot is face lathering a shaving creme.
It appears, that's similar on your end 😉 Face lathering with this brush is a luxury joy on those days I just don't want another type of knot 😀

Since you mentioned the Omega Silvertip? How's the Silvertip in comparison? I've never used one of them.

Enjoy your Sunday!
Cheers!
Guido

Last edited:
Ah, thanks. I wasn’t aware that the ivory handle is the same as the jade one , despite the colour...The ivory colour looks stunning.

Coincidentally, I own said 6209 you mentioned. That's been the brush I was talking about in my recent post.

The knot of my brush measures 25/55mm (I measured the knot back in the day when it arrived). I guess every knot is a bit different, specs-wise.

View attachment 1588514

I totally agree on our verdict regarding the face feel. My knot is silky smooth and soft, too. Due to the soft backbone, this knot is different to every other badger brush I own - I enjoy this specialty, thus it's a keeper.

Some might judge the low amount of backbone a bug, for you (and for me👍) it's a delightful feature (though I basically prefer knots with a higher degree of backbone)!
However, it's not a knot for everyone. I'd say it's a badger brush for those who love soft synthetic knots and are not predominantly looking for a knot with firm backbone.

I'll use mine soon again, it's scheduled for the upcoming Tabac Tuesday. The knot has no issues even with a harder soap... my preferred use case with this knot is face lathering a shaving creme.
It appears, that's similar on your end 😉 Face lathering with this brush is a luxury joy on those days I just don't want another type of knot 😀

Since you mentioned the Omega Silvertip? How's the Silvertip in comparison? I've never used one of them.

Enjoy your Sunday!
Cheers!
Guido
So nice to see another Omega badger in the wild - it's a looker!

I know what you mean about the backbone. It is not uber dense, however, I face lather exclusively so really dense brushes can give me a little bit of brush burn. I guess my preference is somewhere between mega dense and floppy 🙂

And you are spot on that it can lather anything but shines with creams.

I'm on a roll with Proraso Red cream lately and all my Omega badgers perform outstandingly.

View attachment 1588514

Enjoy your Sunday!
Cheers!
Guido
The silvertip is sublime in my use case. I have the 632 which is a smaller knot but it blossoms really well so it holds a shedload of lather. It is definitely a brush for those who desire zero scritch and almost no scrub. As you prefer a bit more backbone it is alas probably not for you ☹️ But you should still get one 🙂

The silvertip is sublime in my use case. I have the 632 which is a smaller knot but it blossoms really well so it holds a shedload of lather. It is definitely a brush for those who desire zero scritch and almost no scrub. As you prefer a bit more backbone it is alas probably not for you ☹️ But you should still get one 🙂
Thank you for sharing your experience. But would you pls not tempt me 😅 My exception in our GRUYERE is a razor, not a brush 🤪😉

This is my selected kit for the week ahead. A Blackland Sabre lvl2 and a DG soap that I hope to kill off by the end of the week. Still using badgers only. View attachment 1585102
After seven days with the Sabre my growing enjoyment of the GEM format is still real. The blade did seven days no problem .

For this third week of January I intend to use a sample size Phoenix and Beau soap, a charcoal goods copper razor with Gillette 7-O-Clock black blade.
Image3262712431019346667.jpg

Thanks 🙂

Elegant yes but that slant is a bit too mild so I changed to the OC for today's shave. I can't even make it 2 days into a shave of the week......
Join the club. I like the idea and thought that go into SWS and I think I can benefit from doing it. So far however my shiny object syndrome and variety addiction have one. But I have put this thread on watch because I will compete this in the near future!

Guido

Ditto. I've tried SWS twice and failed twice 😁
Here in the SWS there is no such thing as a failure. It is not a competition, or a hard do-or-die challenge like some of the other groups but rather it is a way to try out our gear and find winning combinations. I start my week with a particular kit, and if it works for the whole week, then great. If some part of it doesn't work then I change it. Life is too short to finish a week with a blade or razor or brush that isn't working just because we said we would use it for the week. There is no shame in wanting to change things up every day...we have all been through that exciting stage of wet shaving. Especially when we are building up our supply of everything. Everything seems new and exciting.

The whole idea of the SWS is to use a piece of hardware or software long enough to know how it really works. And in my learned opinion you just can't do that by switching every item every day. One week seems to be just long enough. The longer I do the SWS thing, the more enjoyable my shaves have become.
Have fun with it...make it work for you.:pipe:

Here in the SWS there is no such thing as a failure. It is not a competition, or a hard do-or-die challenge like some of the other groups but rather it is a way to try out our gear and find winning combinations. I start my week with a particular kit, and if it works for the whole week, then great. If some part of it doesn't work then I change it. Life is too short to finish a week with a blade or razor or brush that isn't working just because we said we would use it for the week. There is no shame in wanting to change things up every day...we have all been through that exciting stage of wet shaving. Especially when we are building up our supply of everything. Everything seems new and exciting.

The whole idea of the SWS is to use a piece of hardware or software long enough to know how it really works. And in my learned opinion you just can't do that by switching every item every day. One week seems to be just long enough. The longer I do the SWS thing, the more enjoyable my shaves have become.
Have fun with it...make it work for you.:pipe:
Well said!

Top Bottom