What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

I think I am just so accustomed to rich tallow based soaps that have a thick lather. MdC is a plant based soap. It lathers very easily, but it's not a rich lather. I think I've been spoiled by soaps like MWF and Stirling. It is just a matter of preference. If I was shipwrecked on a island and all I had was MdC I would be fine and I know it would last two or three years!
I’ll keep this in mind. I’ll be uncapping a new MdC Fougere for SOTM in Feb. I’ve had nothing but great experiences with their rose, agrumes, and original; but then again I’m hit or miss with The Fat. This will be my first rotation using MdC with a straight.

I know this may sound sacrilegious, but ever consider Frankensoaping just to 3017 it ?

I’ll keep this in mind. I’ll be uncapping a new MdC Fougere for SOTM in Feb. I’ve had nothing but great experiences with their rose, agrumes, and original; but then again I’m hit or miss with The Fat. This will be my first rotation using MdC with a straight.

I know this may sound sacrilegious, but ever consider Frankensoaping just to 3017 it ?
I'm not sure how I could Frankensoap MdC. It is hard as kryptonite and in a glass jar. Even after 7 years of occasional use the soap is still perfectly level with the top of the jar. I would need some diamond drill bits to get it out of the jar. Me and my MdC seem to have come to an amicable understanding-- I use it twice a year and it enjoys a leisurely life in my shoe box. It's best not to tamper with tradition.

I am re-entering SWS commencing Monday. That week will consist of the following gear:

Razors
  • R41 for Monday
  • Alternating between Razorine Flatboy and Timeless Ti95 SCB for the remaining days
Soap
  • Dutchy Bergamot (target is to get this to 50 shaves)
  • Tabac on Tuesday
  • MWF on Friday
Blade
  • Tiger Platinum for OBiF
  • Monday and Tuesday from current rotation
Brushes
  • Rotating
Looking forward to getting to know my Flatboy even better.

My setup for next week...
Timeless .95 SB
Gillette Perma-Sharp
RazoRock 'Son of Zeus'
RV Shaving w/ Shavemac D01 2-Band

20230123_130833.jpg

I've used the Shavemac for every shave this month and this will be the last week for a while. After next week it will finally get a chance to rest. No regrets as this is a really nice brush.

I'll be introducing the Perma-Sharp a few days early for the "One Blade In February" challenge, but I'm confident that it will be okay.

And since I've yet to have a bad experience with a Timeless razor, this choice is a good way to end one month and begin another.

Be well and stay safe

Good afternoon (morning), fellow SWS buddies!

In course of the recent four weeks I have recognize that a cycle of (up to) three shaves with a defined setup hits my sweetspot better than a weekly switch of gear... at least, if I don't seek to test a piece of equipment thoroughly. I've always been a sucker for variety. I just can't help it.🙈

This is why I'll change my setup on Saturdays and Wednesday, starting from today.

Tuesday is a Tabac Tuesday anyway, so I'll do two cycles of three days with a Tabac Tuesday in between... I'm going to switch razors and shaving soap on Saturday and Wednesday, but I'll keep the same blade or a second one of the same blade variant for the second half of the week. Brushes are subject of rotation, anyway.

I wonder if my approach is in line with the spirit of this society. I'd like to stay with you guys here... may I?

Good afternoon (morning), fellow SWS buddies!

In course of the recent four weeks I have recognize that a cycle of (up to) three shaves with a defined setup hits my sweetspot better than a weekly switch of gear... at least, if I don't seek to test a piece of equipment thoroughly. I've always been a sucker for variety. I just can't help it.🙈

This is why I'll change my setup on Saturdays and Wednesday, starting from today.

Tuesday is a Tabac Tuesday anyway, so I'll do two cycles of three days with a Tabac Tuesday in between... I'm going to switch razors and shaving soap on Saturday and Wednesday, but I'll keep the same blade or a second one of the same blade variant for the second half of the week. Brushes are subject of rotation, anyway.

I wonder if my approach is in line with the spirit of this society. I'd like to stay with you guys here... may I?
In my humble opinion, yes, you are still int the spirit of the society. I believe the goal is learning how best your set up works without changing everything everyday. Durning this month, I have been changing my brush every 2-3 days, depending on my mood, as I participate in Badgerary. Next month, I may go back to a fixed four for the week, but who know?! What January showed me is that I really liked keeping the razor, blade, and soap fixed but enjoyed changing the brush.

CIn my humble opinion, yes, you are still int the spirit of the society. I believe the goal is learning how best your set up works without changing everything everyday. Durning this month, I have been changing my brush every 2-3 days, depending on my mood, as I participate in Badgerary. Next month, I may go back to a fixed four for the week, but who know?! What January showed me is that I really liked keeping the razor, blade, and soap fixed but enjoyed changing the brush.
Okay, thank you.👍

I enjoyed keeping the setup for a week in order to learn a new to me razor, however. it started to bore me to use the same soap on day 4+.

Here's my setup for week 5.1 😉

20230128_130314-01.jpeg

Razor: Green Cult 2.0 with plate II/III
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (China)
Soap/AS: Stirling Campania

Cheers!

Okay, thank you.👍

I enjoyed keeping the setup for a week in order to learn a new to me razor, however. it started to bore me to use the same soap on day 4+.

Here's my setup for week 5.1 😉

View attachment 1595943
Razor: Green Cult 2.0 with plate II/III
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (China)
Soap/AS: Stirling Campania

Cheers!
I understand. It kills me the last few days of the week to not change things up, looking at all my other razors and soap. But I'm benefiting I think by the self induced restriction. Persevering for the whole week it's often near the end of the week that you figure something out. Also, I've found that this fixed kit for a week has had a sort of GRUME affect on me. I look at the Lambda thread, the Vectors on the BST, the beautiful badgers in Badguary, the close out sale at Charcoal Goods yesterday, and I haven't bought a thing because there are razors and brushes on my shelf that I really like and want to use that I won't get to for another three months.
@Rusty Blade I get it with the MdC. I've used Fougure for years (one tub!), and last year bought rose and argumes. Nice scents and good lather. But last Fall I had a series of new soaps come in that are remarkable. Going back to MdC this past week has made me miss them.
I'm having a very good week with the GEM in a Wolfman WR3. Will pick new kit Sunday afternoon for Monday.

It's not for me to decide what the "spirit" of the SWS is or should be. All I can say is my shaves are more enjoyable since joining.

I also participate in the "Shave of the Month Club" (SOTMC) so I use one soap for an entire month or until it's gone (3017). I don't get bored with a soap anymore. The best part for me is when I no longer think of it as A&E, B&M, M&M, MWF, or Tabac... but rather just the soap used for the shave.

I've used as many as seven brushes in one week and I've used my current brush every day this month. Whatever works is what's right for me any given week.

My blades usually start to feel better on shave two or three. By the end of the week I'm sad to see it go but at the same time I may not even remember the brand name. All of them could last longer than a week, but it's better for me to switch them out before the shave deteriorates.

As for my razors... I am planning a major inventory reduction and every week is an audition. Several have already failed to make the roster.

My overall goal is to have a good shave today and a better one tomorrow. I've found the best way for me to achieve that is to stick with the same setup for a week or more. I figure if this were a round of golf, I wouldn't change my clubs every hole. But it took me a while to get to this mindset.

Bottom line... do what makes you happy and try to enjoy the shave

I'm not sure how I could Frankensoap MdC. It is hard as kryptonite and in a glass jar. Even after 7 years of occasional use the soap is still perfectly level with the top of the jar. I would need some diamond drill bits to get it out of the jar. Me and my MdC seem to have come to an amicable understanding-- I use it twice a year and it enjoys a leisurely life in my shoe box. It's best not to tamper with tradition.
If one were inclined to Frankensoap an MdC or MWF for example, it couldn’t be any easier than to load in your traditional method and apply a tallow shave stick to your face before applying the loaded soap…

I understand. It kills me the last few days of the week to not change things up, looking at all my other razors and soap.
Yeah, that's the point for me as well. Using two razors per week seems more appropriate to avoid dust on the razors... 😉

But I've already started to thin down the herd.

But I'm benefiting I think by the self induced restriction. Persevering for the whole week it's often near the end of the week that you figure something out. Also, I've found that this fixed kit for a week has had a sort of GRUME affect on me.
I see.

I've added myself both to the GRUME and the GRUYERE thread. It certainly helps with keeping the ADs under control.

Admittedly, those Lambda razors are pure eye candy... the Athena certainly triggered my interest as well. But there's only one exception allowed in GRUYERE, so one has to choose wise... 😉
I assume you have the Ares in mind, taking your preferences for efficient razors into consideration?

Last edited:
Tomorrow will be my 1 year anniversary for the SWS lifestyle!!🥳 I just went back to page 69 to see when I first gave it a go!

During this year my shaves have improved across the board! 😎

I have had my mid week change ups, skipped weeks, Monday to Friday fixed with weekends free and everything in between 😅.

Lately, well the last few months I find it easier and easier to stick with the same stuff for a week. If the truth were to be told some Saturdays I am too lazy choose for the next week so just stick with what I have been doing, which led me to the SOTMC!! lol

I would like to thank all the guys in this thread for the camaraderie :clap: and for putting up with me!
@Rusty Blade @bjm @MaineYooper @ChriWilson @Jayson74 @Markdad2 @JAHE @tjsgarden @Guido75 @Leverspro @flask28 @Dobric @Trollky @MacMarty89 @Jens @SgtCrppls

Tomorrow will be my 1 year anniversary for the SWS lifestyle!!🥳 I just went back to page 69 to see when I first gave it a go!

During this year my shaves have improved across the board! 😎

I have had my mid week change ups, skipped weeks, Monday to Friday fixed with weekends free and everything in between 😅.

Lately, well the last few months I find it easier and easier to stick with the same stuff for a week. If the truth were to be told some Saturdays I am too lazy choose for the next week so just stick with what I have been doing, which led me to the SOTMC!! lol

I would like to thank all the guys in this thread for the camaraderie :clap: and for putting up with me!
@Rusty Blade @bjm @MaineYooper @ChriWilson @Jayson74 @Markdad2 @JAHE @tjsgarden @Guido75 @Leverspro @flask28 @Dobric @Trollky @MacMarty89 @Jens @SgtCrppls
Congrats, Balin! You have been a great addition to the clubhouse!

Top Bottom