What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

Do you guys stay with the same blade all week or just the same kind of blade all week?
I usually choose one razor/blade combo for the week. I could easily get ten or more shaves from one blade but I'd rather change blades before the shave deteriorates. And it's also easier for me to keep track of the number of shaves on the blade.

I go a bit longer with my SE blades, but I have enough of both DE and SE blades to last for several years so...

I'll try and get a group shot of the new additions! And I'll post some thoughts along the way as I try them out.

20230104_103912.jpg

Bottom left is Murphy & McNeil's Nil Scent. I am using it this week. I used Denton Majik and A&E twice each during the week of Christmas, and think the Denton Majik is a good one, like the Murphy & McNeil. I was not overly impressed with the A&E cream but will give it a go again later. Chiseled Face Natural was a Black Friday purchase from Maggard Razors, along with a fave from last year or so, Noble Otter Bare.

Do you guys stay with the same blade all week or just the same kind of blade all week?
I guess the blade/razor sets the pace. If the blade is capable to go for 5-7 shaves (like the PermaSharp I'm currently using), why swap. But, say, if the blade was a Feather blade you definitely could expect me to change blades even twice in course of the week...

Last edited:
When I choose a DE razor for my SWS I generally start with a fresh blade on the Sunday (the start of my SWS week) and use the same blade for the whole week. Feel free to switch up during the week. If I started with a blade and it wasn't working for me I would change it...or the razor...or the soap...or the brush...you get the picture. :pipe:

View attachment 1582792

Bottom left is Murphy & McNeil's Nil Scent. I am using it this week. I used Denton Majik and A&E twice each during the week of Christmas, and think the Denton Majik is a good one, like the Murphy & McNeil. I was not overly impressed with the A&E cream but will give it a go again later. Chiseled Face Natural was a Black Friday purchase from Maggard Razors, along with a fave from last year or so, Noble Otter Bare.
Its nice to see so many new unscented soaps enter the market. There was a time, not too long ago, when the selection of unscented soaps was limited. Thanks for posting.

20230106_143740-01.jpg

Last shave of this SWS. Another easy and close shave result (almost BBS), this time provided by a fresh PermaSharp blade and the Toggle on setting (7) wtg and (9) atg. No buffing needed. I couldn't detect any nicks or weepers. The smoothness of the wtg pass perhaps fooled me to apply a tad too much pressure, a light redness/itching on my neck was caused. But the irritation will be gone by tomorrow.

It's been an excellent week with a bunch of nice shaves.
I'll continue with the SWS concept for the upcoming week, but I haven't decided on the next setup as yet. Perhaps I'll even skip tomorrow's shave. We shall see.

Happy shaves!

View attachment 1583860

Last shave of this SWS. Another easy and close shave result (almost BBS), this time provided by a fresh PermaSharp blade and the Toggle on setting (7) wtg and (9) atg. No buffing needed. I couldn't detect any nicks or weepers. The smoothness of the wtg pass perhaps fooled me to apply a tad too much pressure, a light redness/itching on my neck was caused. But the irritation will be gone by tomorrow.

It's been an excellent week with a bunch of nice shaves.
I'll continue with the SWS concept for the upcoming week, but I haven't decided on the next setup as yet. Perhaps I'll even skip tomorrow's shave. We shall see.

Happy shaves!
That is a super nice looking razor. I can see why they're popular with their distinctness. I've never seen one in person.

That is a super nice looking razor. I can see why they're popular with their distinctness. I've never seen one in person.
In fact, this razor is a delight both visually and haptically. A sophisticated experience. The opening technique is absolutely fascinating and unique. And she really shaves excellently, considering her high age.

The razor was a gift that I just recently received from @Curly Straight.
That's one of the unbelievable stories only B&B can tell...

I never expected to shave with such a rarity (they are even rarer on my side of the pond). Let alone own one.

This uber generous gift I will cherish and care for...

My setup for this 1st week of ‘23:
  • *Truefitt & Hill Apsley - SOTM
  • *Simpson's CH2 - Best
  • *Thiers Issard Sheffield 6/8
  • *Mühle R89
  • *GSB
  • Kiehl’s Blue Astringent
  • Speick Splash
* SWS
The GSB didn't fare well for me this week, nor has it ever for some reason.
Reverted back to an aged Polsilver to finish up this week with glorious results.

A dozen shaves on this blade, I have no reason to think it can't go another week; given that the DE is strictly single-pass these days...

img_0194-jpg.1584005

My setup for next week...
Karve 'Christopher Bradley' SB D-plate
Personna Platinum Chrome
Col. Conk 'Bay Rum'
RV Shaving w/ Shavemac D01 2-Band

20230106_111610.jpg

I enjoyed the Karve OC D-plate and wanted to see if maybe the SB D-plate would be just as efficient but maybe a little more comfortable. I had a similar issue with the Timeless OC and SCL plates. These are the sorts of "problems" I'm equipped to handle and don't really mind dealing with.
:cool:

I had planned to use a different brush, but I was recently informed I may be traveling again so I wanted to get in as as many shaves with this brush as possible this month. Not only to break it in as quickly as possible but also because I really like using it.

Be well and stay safe

I think I may be doing a free for all this week. I have a couple of razors needing attention, but I will be sticking with the same soap and aftershave!! I think I may finally finish off my B&M Cheshire soap today so I will have to pick a new one. I may stick with a B&M because they seem finishable!

My gear for the week:
20230107_132243.jpg

Razor1: Henson al13 ++
Razor2: Henson al13+
Blade: Rapira swede
Soap: RR Mudder Focker
Brush: RR Amici or Bruce

Using my new Henson ++ for the first time this week. As usual Henson + is my ATG cleanup razor. Loaded both with a new Rapira swede.

Away we go.
Be well
Jay

My set up for the upcoming week

1_08 sws.jpg

Karve Overlander
NOS Personna Platinum Chrome
A badger brush as it is Badgerary
(shown here is a reknotting I did with a Shave Forge silvertip in an Ever Ready 100T handle)
Zingari Man Unscented

On days off, I do the WTG pass with the Feather shavette.

Be seeing you!

Edit to add: I really liked Nil Scent by Murphy and McNeil. It made a very creamy lather with very good slickness. Post shave was pretty good, with less dry/tight skin than some other soaps, but not as good as Mystic Water Soaps (my Gold Standard). Almost as good as Mike's Natural Soap.

Last edited:
I'm in. First time poster here. I'm using this thread to switch up my habits from using completely different kit every day (except blade) to a fixed razor and soap for a week. I feel like I'd really benefit from using my razors every day for a week to better learn how to use them best. I'm a daily shaver. I also will probably move some razors on soon as I have others I'd like to try. So, if I can't use a razor daily for a week I may move it on.
Glad this is brush exempted (correct?) or it would be less appealing to me. I used a badger brush this morning that I definitely would not want to use all week.
Hope I'm in the right spirit of things here and thank you for a place to work these things out.
This will be my shave for the first week of 2023. The Razor is a 1.65 gap WR2 Wolfman and the B&M soap is omnibus base. View attachment 1581465
Finished my first fixed razor/blade/soap this morning. I did get through the week on the same blade, no problem. Had no issues using the big gap Wolf daily. Trying to learn better technique with whatever the Wolfman demands. Key thing seems to be a light touch.

Finished my first fixed razor/blade/soap this morning. I did get through the week on the same blade, no problem. Had no issues using the big gap Wolf daily. Trying to learn better technique with whatever the Wolfman demands. Key thing seems to be a light touch.
When it comes to razors, DE, SE or SR I have found a light touch is the best way to maximize the experience...and minimize injury. :pipe:

Top Bottom