What's new

Shave Den Renovation Chronicles

It's well past time for another update. I was expecting my parents, brother, and grandparents to be staying over at my house for Christmas, so I was working hard for days to get our only bathroom functional again, especially during the period when our only toilet was sitting in the driveway. By the end of each day, I didn't have any energy or motivation to come post the progress. One day I worked for 13 hours on it. I was able to get it working again, and looking pretty good in the main, though still incomplete. After the holidays, I had to be busy on other things, and I was also fatigued from the project. I have only recently gotten back into it.

The best news is that I've finished the shower, but for the paint above the tile and the door facing that had to come down.

full
full

It looks even better in person. It is so refreshing to take a shower in a shower that doesn't feel dirty. See what I started with in the first post to know what I mean. The shower head is the old one I put up when we first moved in. The new kit came with a new head that looks better, but I like how this older one works better. I will change it before I move out and keep my old faithful. I love the new corner shelves, and I think that is my wife's favorite part of the whole project. Every time I heard her tell about our project to someone else, it was the bit about the shelves that came out most prominently.

On the the floor. Here is a last shot of the old floor before I tore it out:

full

I expected that bit near the tub to be potentially damaged, but it wasn't. But then to my surprise:

full

The place around the toilet was bad. The toilet was even sunk down a bit (or the floor swelled around it). I got under the house, and it didn't look too bad, but the more I worked, the worse it looked. So I took the underlayment off.

full

Oh no! Worse still! The subfloor was soft in some places, damp in others, as you can see, and that dark spot is a hole clear to the crawl space. It turns out that old lead toilet flange was completely torn and leaking. It's just as well I started this project so that I found the problem before it got worse. I wasn't expecting that part of the floor to be bad in the least. I only was expecting it to be bad around the tub.

It's at this point that I was really feeling like I was in over my head. I had no experience in this area. Fortunately, I have several fellow members of the church that work in this field, so I asked for their advice. One of them came to help me with this part. He has had a number of rental properties that he would have to work on himself, and he was no stranger to the problem.

full

We cut out the bad wood along the floor joists and replaced the wood, then I got back on track. Next I placed new 5/8" plywood underlayment.

full

Then I put down the Durock cement board with thinset and screws per instructions, etc. No picture there. Then the tiling started. With such a small bathroom, it seemed it was all cuts!

Anyway, to cut to the chase, here is the tile finished, but for grout to be sealed. This picture was only a couple days ago, though I got to this points just before Christmas.

full

By the way, that's a new toilet. The bigger one, that is; we've had that little one for a few months. The old (big) toilet had bad wear on the inside, where it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time, but it was actually damaged. Also, there was mold growing behind the tank because the tank was right against the wall, and in the winter, the cold water filling the tank caused a lot of condensation for mold to grow on. It was too close to clean. The landlord opted to replace the toilet, and they had their own plumber come and do it for me so I wouldn't have to worry about getting a proper seal with the wax ring.

I also had the wall behind the toilet and around the vanity to do, so out went the old tile and the drywall behind it.

full

I was actually doing this the same time as the floor. I was trying to get done all of the stuff that required the removal of the toilet as quickly as possible. Anyway, I proceeded here about the same as in the shower, and this is where I got to just before my family arrived for Christmas.

full

full

That's as far as I've gotten since. I still have to finish the transition from cement board to drywall so I can then finish the last row of tile. Then more grout. Then caulk, etc. I've not been in a hurry lately.

And lastly, what I've been working on lately is the cabinet. It took me a while to strip, strip again, and strip some more the wood as best I could. After using the chemicals, then I continued with lots of sanding. I'm sore even now from sanding. I finally have some of it stained. Here are the doors stained but not finished.

full

This is that dark color I was going for in my simulation picture of the finished product in the first post. I'm wondering now if it might have been too dark, but that's how it's going to have to be, and anyway, I can't fairly judge it until I put on the polyurethane.

While I'm doing that, I've also been working on something really exciting: shelves for my shave stuff! I bought some nice oak boards to make a pair of shelves with. I have them cut to their design, and I am working on sanding them to stain and finish to match the vanity. I'm really looking forward to having those. I'll catch you up on that another time.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
It does look much improved! It looks like a lot of work too. A big effort but a much more gratifying appearance when it is all accomplished.

Seeing the photos of the bad floor and sub-floor makes beads of sweat pop out on my forehead just thinking about discovering such neglect and deferred maintenance.

The dark hue is very interesting. I've not seen anything done quite like it.

It's a shame your place is a rental or you could have added one of those medicine cabinets with the razor blade disposal slots in it to the bathroom, if you owned the house.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Looking good! :thumbup:

I can almost feel your pain from here at some of the set backs you've run into. My husband and I have been down that road many times before on home improvement projects we've tackled over the years. After a while we came up with a formula for estimating how long a given project was going to take us.

Here is our formula:

First Step: Estimate how long you think your project will take. Let's say we think "Project X" will take 1 week.

Second Step: Multiply that number by 3. "Project X" is now up to 3 weeks.

Final Step: Move that number up to the next unit of time. So the reality is that "Project X" is really going to take us 3 months.

Unfortunately this formula is accurate more times then not. :sad:

Thanks for the kind comments.

Intrigued, that formula makes me laugh. A little too true, however!

Here is a little side note to the project. I have for several years enjoyed listening to music each morning during my morning routine. I had been doing this for a few years before I switched to traditional DE shaving. Until recently, my setup involved an old computer speaker system that had four little speakers and a subwoofer. It was no audiophile haven, but it was probably one of the top best sounding bathrooms in America. I was able to make it work pretty well in other places I've lived, but it just wasn't working for me in terms of placement here. Here is a picture of the old setup.

full

That subwoofer took up a lot of space on by the sink, and the wires were ugly. A bundle of wires ran up to that speaker in the top corner, as you see. The wires followed the top of the wall around to three other speakers in the three other corners, including the two directly over the shower. The source for the music was usually my iPod attached to a minijack cable. It sounded good, but it was ugly. I kept trying to think how I could take advantage of tearing out wall by concealing wires somehow. In the end, it became easier to just get a little iPod player.

full

Ah, doesn't that look better? And it's an easy thing to just unplug it and stick it under the cabinet if we want to for company. It doesn't sound as good, but I have made a trade of sound quality for reduced clutter. It makes me feel better.

PS. Isn't it just mildly ironic that the album playing on the iPod in the first picture is The Wall by Pink Floyd?

My Pink Floyd collection is missing that album and I don't hear those tunes often on the radio any more. May have to remedy that.

Intrigued's formula is quite good. It accurately portrays our never-ending house remodeling efforts. I started out to paint a drab wall in the kitchen October before last, jsut to brighten things up a little. In April of 2011 we pronounced the complete kitchen make-over complete. A simple hallway has taken us over two months and we're still not quite through. So, while we're at it we shift a hobby room from a front room of the house to the rear and the bedroom that was in the rear to the front room, starting a complete re-do while we're at it. A new front door is in the works in a week or two.

Your bathroom is encouraging.

Hate to admit that I'm doing such an unmanly thing here on a shaving forum but have got to get back to late evening house cleaning. Think I'll put Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" on the stereo followed by Styx.

The music in the bathroom makes me envious, I think the iHome maybe taking a vacation

I love it. Music and shaving, it's a great combination.

Actually, it is best to turn the music way down or even off during the part of the morning routine where blade touches skin. For me, anyway, the audible feedback of whiskers being cut is useful to the process. I want to hear it before I feel it.

And now something I'm particularly excited about: shelves for my beloved shaving hardware and software. I bought some oak planks, made up a simple design, cut them and pre-drilled the holes. Then I spent a lot of time sanding them. Here they are as of a few minutes ago:

full

There you see a pair of them. The one on the right is in a pile of boards. The one on the left is actually in the same condition; I just set them up loosely to give the idea. I also put a few bathroom items on the floor as if they were sitting on the shelves to give you a reference of scale. Each set of shelves has a bar to hang towels at the bottom.

My next step is the stain them to match the vanity, then finish them also in the same way. Then I will assemble them, hang them up, and then arrange my things on them. I made sure to have plenty of room to grow my collection. :thumbup:

Even Malachi my cat is interested.

Wow, Garrett! As a fellow renter I think you're nuts. Not for wanting a better bathroom... but for donating your time. I've done a bit of work in the houses we've rented over the past three years or so... but NOTHING like this. Done some leaky toilet repairs, replaced traps under sinks, some drywall repair, but you've gutted and rebuilt an entire bathroom. It looks great!

I really hope the landlord keeps to his side of the agreement!

I may be nuts. :letterk1: And it is true that it's a lot of work. However it is worth it to me: 1) I have greatly enjoyed the results so far, 2) the work has kind of been fun to see what I can accomplish, 3) I get to practice on someone else's house, and especially, as I once said before, 4) whether my monthly check goes to a landlord or to a house loan, it is still my home.

Right now I am in a work and wait phase: stain, wait, turn, stain, wait, polyurethane, wait, turn, polyurethane, wait, sand, polyurethane.... It goes slowly. Here are my much anticipated shave shelves stained and with their first coat of polyurethane on one side.

full

I couldn't get a picture to do it justice. The muddy dark brown of the stain turned into a rich dark brown with the polyurethane. And the wood grain really pops now too. I for some reason imagined it smooth, but the texture is nice. That's something you would have to see in person to truly appreciate. I sure am looking forward to these being on my wall. I even took one of the shelves to hold it up to its destination to get an idea of how it would look. Beautiful (if I may be so bold about my own humble handiwork).

This is fun to see the wood. Nice wood with interesting grain and figure is always intriguing and different stains are gratifying to apply. Your alternate steps with the sanding will pay off.

Do you do gun stocks perchance?

Top Bottom