What's new

Shave Den Renovation Chronicles

Our house has just the one bathroom. We rent, and though we like the house, the bathroom needed attention before we got here. The landlord had just acquired the house, and we needed to move in soon, so he was good to accommodate us, and the bathroom just had to miss out. They were going to fix the problems in the bathroom after we moved in. Shortly after we moved there, the soap dish, built in to the wall, fell out, exposing a hole in the shower wall for water to enter. The vinyl tiles by they bathtub were coming up as well. Generally the bathroom was in a state of disrepair. I told the landlord about the hole in the wall and the other problems, and he sent someone over to see it to get an idea what needed to be done. The man said he would be back in a couple weeks. Three quarters of a year went by. Nothing has been done, though we have tried to delicately bring it up a few times since. I was always embarrassed to have guests use the bathroom, and I have been sad that the place where I practice my shaving hobby is so uninviting.

Here is a shot of the bath:

full

Notice the hole where the soap dish used to be. It has been absorbing water for months. The drywall is now "wetwall." I'm not sure why it was drywall to begin with, rather than greenboard or concrete board. The tiles are plastic tiles made to look like glazed ceramic tile. I don't think they would have been especially attractive new, but they are not pretty now. Along the tub is an inch and a half of what looks like caulking thoroughly mildewed, and no cleaner we have tried has cleaned it up. The section above the tile is a large sheet of cardboard particle coated with some white coating to resemble porcelain. Over the years, tiny cracks have developed, and when water gets in them, it causes the cardboard stuff underneath to balloon. The result is as you see there.

The floor also needs to be replaced:

full

Those are just vinyl tiles. They aren't bad as far as vinyl tiles go, but I'm not a fan of vinyl in general. These are coming up, as you can see. Also, the surface they were laid on was not flat everywhere. There are a couple hollow places underneath where the tiles have now sunk from years of being trodden.

Anyway, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I spent several days considering options, driving to home improvement and flooring stores, getting prices and samples, and making plans. Then once I had all my ducks in a row, I went to talk to the people renting me the house. They're quite nice enough to talk to. I think we just were forgotten in the many other things they have going on. Anyway, I started by showing these two pictures to her (I was talking to the landlord's daughter--she handles a lot of the business). She said, "Oh, I didn't realize it was that bad." Then I told her that I would do it myself and explained what I proposed to do, and she agreed. Now the project is on.

The picture below shows another angle of the bathroom that is representative of the decoration scheme:

full

On the right is one of the better views of the bathroom in its original state. The bathroom is so small that I can't get much of it in the picture even when I am huddling in the opposite corner. On the left, you can see a mock-up of what we plan to do. We will have 13" square porcelain tile on the floor, and the traditional glazed wall tile in a bisquit and nutmeg color pattern as you can see over the toilette and vanity. The same pattern will be in the bath alcove up to the point where the original white panel left off. This will leave just a couple feet of the painted wall, as it is now. We have no trouble with that getting wet. By the way, the paint has to stay the same, other than a refresher coat, because it is the standard paint in all of the houses owned by our landlord. The finish on the vanity needs a refresh, though the wood itself is fortunately in good shape. It is solid oak. The finish is of the cheaper variety that is stain and varnish in a single application. On the plus side, I figure that should make stripping it easier since the stain is not embedded in the wood. I am going to go with a dark walnut brown of some sort. I am waiting on the tile to arrive first before I get the exact color of stain. If stripping the wood proves difficult, I will paint it a similar color, but I hope not to have to paint it.

You can see on the wall I have hanging two shower racks. On the left is one with some of my wife's stuff, as well as some of my stuff, including the Thayers witch hazel. Next to it is a rack just for my most-oft-used shaving equipment. I am considering constructing some kind of basic shelf to go there to more properly accomodate my growing collection. I figure it will also be oak stained to match the vanity.

I also would like to replace the faucet, which is now functional though ugly. I'm not sure if I should go with the Satin finish or that brown bronzed finish.

Well now you know what I'm shooting for. I am very excited about the project, so I hope you don't mind me sharing it with the very few who might be interested to follow my progress. I have laid floor tile a few times, but never done walls or showers, so this is a new experience for me. If some people with professional experience read my "chronicles," perhaps my amateurish work will give them a good laugh.

Well, to the work. First step: destroy!

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I am surprised there isn't more water damage behind that leaky soap dish. One can hope the floor is still in good shape.
Your landlord is lucky to have you as a tenant. To keep the bathroom/house from further water damage will save them in the long run. Hope both of you are getting a fair deal from your efforts.

Yea Garrett! Looks like you're off and running on a big job.

Do you think you got off lightly on water damage so far? Considering the hole in the wall in the shower it would seem so.

That combo stain/varnish stuff ought to come off with the stripper. A follow-up soaking of the wood surfaces with denatured alcohol will assist with extracting the remaining stain out of the wood and, with a very light sanding, leave it ready to receive whatever stain you prefer. It could look quite nice to be dark with the wood grain showing through.

Sometimes raw linseed oil yields a really pretty dark and warm finish without any need for stain. Must be the raw linseed oil and not the "boiled" linseed oil commonly sold. If raw linseed oil is not found than be aware that flax seed oil, sold at health food stores is the same thing. A nice thing about using such a finish is that a subsequent mar on the finish surface will be easily remedied.

I think the hammer is a nice touch in that last photo. That's what I'm best at. I can tear things up to good effect with one of those. We're currently remodeling the hallway in our house and this reminds me to take some photos along the way.

It was moist back there, but the only damage I can see is actually unrelated. There is a board that runs just along the wall edge of the tub, as you can see in the picture. The whole board edge was covered with caulk in one big ugly mess, otherwise exposed in tub. The caulk, of course, was thoroughly molded. That's what you can see in the top photo between the wall and the tub. The board underneath has some holes rotted into it.

Other than that, I have a fan on the wall for a few days to dry out any other moisture. It is dry to the touch, but I'll keep going another day or two.

Interesting, I am surprised there isn't more water damage behind that leaky soap dish. One can hope the floor is still in good shape.
Your landlord is lucky to have you as a tenant. To keep the bathroom/house from further water damage will save them in the long run. Hope both of you are getting a fair deal from your efforts.

On my end, I get cost of materials deducted from my next rent bill and the satisfaction of finally having a bathroom not to be embarrassed by. And since I am doing it myself, I get to do it my way. In the end, I think I will like the results better than I would have if the landlord had it done in some standard way. Let's just hope it will turn out as I hope! So far, I just have a replaced toilet seat and a hole in the wall for my efforts. Now I get to use two shower curtains.

Looks like fun!

I have done this with many places the wife and I rent. Landlord covers materials and usually they will toss a little labor and it gets renovated for them. And as you said, in the end you get it your way!

Jay

Work proceeds somewhat slowly. I will be excited when I can finally start laying tile, because that always seems to progress quickly. My wall tile arrived yesterday. I was supposed to go today to pick up my floor tile, but the sales representative who took my order didn't bother to actually make the order. I found out that representative doesn't work there anymore. In in the end it's not a big deal for me. I will just have to wait until Friday to get that order. I'm also waiting on a friend's availability to go with me to pick up the durock sheets in his truck. I have managed everything else in the sedan. That will be Thursday.

The short of it is that I have mostly been gathering materials, and I wonder when that shall end. I keep thinking of something else that I have to get. And that's just more money to spend. Yay!

Yesterday, I picked out the plumbing hardware and installed the sink faucet and drain. The old one was still functional without leaks, but it was ugly, and I don't like those faucets that are so close to the edge of the sink that you don't have room to wash your hands without touching the side. I like what I have now much better:

full

I enjoyed using it in the morning shave. It is weird, but it seemed the bathroom was already that much better with just that one thing changed. I also changed the toilette handle. The old one was all pitted. Now it looks much better, but I figure you don't need a picture of a toilette handle. I got all the hardware in the brushed nickel to match. Ah rats, I forgot the hinges to the vanity door!

Today, I have been stripping the varnish off of the vanity. That's probably my least favorite job. I still have much of it left to go.

full

This is fun to follow.

The new handles add a nice touch for sure. Understated and elegant.

That is pleasing oak grain pattern exhibited on the vanity. It really would be nice if it could be dark but still showing the grain.

Here's an example of the difference that the raw linseed oil can make in color and hue of wood. This is a two-piece hand guard from a original stock set for a No. 4 Mark 2 Enfield rifle showing one piece in unfinished condition and the other with a couple of coats of oil applied. No stain was used at all and the color held after the oil soaked in and cured. I was pleased with the color and the rich hue given to a piece of sickly looking gray wood.

proxy.php

That does give a nice look, especially when it is fully absorbed. It is kind of a less-refined, more natural look. However, that wasn't the look I had in mind for the bathroom. I am going more for a walnut tone with a more polished finish. The grain will still show--more so than in my computer mock-up. In fact, the grain in the mockup is somewhat visible, but that varies according to computer screen, especially in the dark ranges.

Despite the many hours per day on this project, the progress has been slower than I expected. I keep spending up so much time at the hardware store, then driving back to the hardware store for that item I forgot, then again to exchange the one I just got that was wrong, etc. Time isn't the only thing that starts adding up, either! :scared: I think I've just about got most of what I need. All of my tile came in, so I took a moment to snap this shot showing the colors together:

full

As I said before, the paint has to stay that color, but it will get a fresh coat so it will look nice. I'm pretty happy with the way it is going to turn out.

Yesterday, I tore out the two side walls of the shower alcove, and I was going to install the new shower faucet. It turns out it isn't as easy as installing the sink faucet where I had just used the existing pipes. Oh no, the shower stuff doesn't unscrew. You all knew that, I bet--I didn't. So I ended up having to tear down the old plumbing down to the shutoff valves at the floor. Now my closet is where my shower used to be. :clown:

full

Putting in the new plumbing is what I spent yesterday evening and all of today doing. This is where I really spent time at the hardware store. I got the wrong fitting, so I had to go back to the store before it closed last night. Finally made pretty good progress, but midnight had come on too fast. This morning, I discovered a very slow drip where both supply lines enter the faucet. It was like one drip every five minutes, but I can't have even as little as that in the walls. So I went back again. The sales associate sent me with a different idea, rather than tearing it all down and starting over (remember, it doesn't unscrew). He sent me with PEX tubing that does unscrew. Ah, but the mechanism that makes it unscrew causes the inside diameter to be too small. There was so little pressure that I would have been taking a drip rather than a shower. So I had to go back again, get another set of fittings so I could tear it down and start again. At the end of the day, I finally have the plumbing in place and functional without any leaks.

full

I had hoped to start putting in the shower tile tomorrow, but I don't know if I will finish getting the cement board ready in time to have time for tile. Sigh.

I cannot believe you are doing this much work on someone else's house and not getting anything for your labor. Did you agree to a budget first? What happens if they decide you spent too much money? How are you staying clean now that you haven't had a working shower for more than a week?

Whoo! Looks like major surgery to me.

Was the plumbing made of copper or the old Galvanized iron pipe? The house could be too new for either I suppose.

It's great that you're documenting this in photos for the landlord.

Keen-looking contrasting tiles. They will look good on the wall of a "shaving shrine."

"How are you staying clean now that you haven't had a working shower for more than a week?

He's probably getting pretty shooey-pooey by now, huh.

I cannot believe you are doing this much work on someone else's house and not getting anything for your labor. Did you agree to a budget first? What happens if they decide you spent too much money? How are you staying clean now that you haven't had a working shower for more than a week?

Haha! It sure is a lot of work! However, it's worth it to me. Although I don't own the house, it is still my home, and whether my monthly check goes to a mortgage or to a landlord doesn't change the fact that I will appreciate having a bathroom I can be proud of. In terms of budget, when I had originally approached the landlord, I went with the understanding that we would pay for it all. I was pleasantly surprised to hear "keep the receipts," etc. Anyway, because we had planned on spending a certain amount, and now knowing that those materials will be covered in lieu of next month's rent, I have extra money to do some other things, like the new faucet. The landlord may feel it is worth it to reimburse me for that too, or he may not, and that's fine. As I said, we had already planned an initial amount.

As for labor, well, that's just how the work gets done. If they were to pay someone to do it, I'm sure they would pay one of their own contractors instead of me. I'm not a professional, and I'm not looking to be paid. It's my own bathroom after all. I am the one who will benefit from it as long as I'm here. Sure, it will increase the property value, but I'm the first to enjoy the benefits of it. And here's another way to look at it: I get to practice on someone else's house. There is another factor which I haven't mentioned, and that is that our rent is very low relative to the market value in this area. The landlord is not making any money off of us as it is. Although he has many properties, in our case, he is basically doing us a favor. I won't bother to go into the details, but I can say that I am happy to have the opportunity to leave the house in a better state than I found it.

Also, staying clean is a must! In fact, our shower has been functioning to various degrees this whole time. After the first picture of demolition that you saw above, I had only taken out one wall. I had up a second shower curtain. On that Thursday night when I started to have the plumbing troubles, there was a slight leak in my work, but it still functioned for the showers that day. After replacing my earlier handiwork, I have fixed the plumbing problem. At it's present state, we have been taking baths rather than showers. In short, we haven't had to go one day dirty. Now when I take out the only toilet in the house for a few days... haha We will have another place to stay during that time.

Whoo! Looks like major surgery to me.

Was the plumbing made of copper or the old Galvanized iron pipe? The house could be too new for either I suppose.

The old plumbing was CPVC just as I used, although the supply lines coming up from the floor are copper as far as the cut-off valves. I understand my house to be made in the era of the 40s or 50s. Whatever the case, it goes back to a time when they believed one tiny bathroom was all that was necessary for an otherwise typical three bedroom house.

Still, I don't think the shower that was in place was original. There were several things that made me believe that it was originally just a bath. The drywall instead of green board or cement board behind the plastic tiles is one of those things. By the way, I found some other drywall in the shower that was soft and moldy in addition to the hole where the soap dish was. I wouldn't have known there was a problem with that section without taking it down.

My one regret is that my center line is not straight. I mean that if you were to draw a line from the center of the tub, to spout, to water handle, to the shower, it is crooked and slanted. I had never noticed before, but it was that way when I got here. I was surprised that I never did notice before. I think I improved it somewhat, but the real problem was with the framing. The 2x4 that comes down half way--the one along which the shower pipe goes up--is over too far to the middle, such that the shower is necessarily offset. I would have had to move that 2x4, but I wasn't comfortable changing the framing of the house. The only thing I did was move up the cross-beam that holds the handle. That was an easy enough job, though getting those old nails out often leaves me with personal injury. Anyway, because of that, I don't have to stoop to change the water temperature.

I'm afraid I will just have to live with the crooked fixtures. As I already said, I have been living with them all this time. The only difference is that it may be more obvious with the tile going up beyond the shower head. The straight grout lines could make it more apparent.

I know you do not want to mess with the framing, but you need to fix that. If you leave it like that your wall will deflect too much anytime force is put on it. (And it will get leaned on, pushed on. Especially being the wall with the water knobs.) Putting tile over that framing will not work.

When installing stone or ceramic tile over floors and walls, each have different requirements. However, they have one thing in common. That is the necessity that they have a firm stable surface on which to be applied. Tile, be it stone or ceramic is hard and will break or dislodge if the surface bends under load. This is called deflection. Volumes can be written on deflection. However, the basic rule is that if the finished tile surface span deflects more than the calculated maximum deflection amount, the tiled surface will shear, buckle, and fail.
http://www.thetiledoctor.com/installations/deflection.cfm

Friday's progress had been really slow, as you read already. I basically spent time working on plumbing and gathering materials. Saturday's progress was much greater. For one thing, I never had the leave the house. I was able to put in 13 hours of solid work.

I had finally finished the plumbing the day before, so I began my Saturday by putting up 4-mil plastic as a moisture barrier. That was an easy enough job.

full

Next I spent some time getting the cementboard cut and installed. It took me a while, but it was enjoyable work. It's at that point where I felt real progress, because I really felt I was constructing in contrast to the destructing I was doing earlier.

full
full

I was able to begin to focus on tiling by the afternoon. There was a lot of setup time, getting tools ready, wet-saw out of storage and set up, planning layout, mortar mixed, etc. This was my first time to install tile on a wall. With now this experience, I have to say: I like floor tile much better! Gravity is a beast. I spent as much time fighting thinset, especially cleaning it off of the installed tile, as I did putting in new tile. Still, the slowest part always seems to be the trimming of the tile around walls and obstacles. As the hours went on, I stopped placing the tiles along the edges, because I didn't run the loud wet saw that late in the evening. My neighbors might not be forgiving. Here is the progress up to this point:

full
full

Keep in mind that the grout will still change the look a good bit. It is plain white unsanded grout.

I didn't have much time do anything yesterday, but I did keep considering a couple little tasks. However, I forced myself not to do a thing on the project. I was tired, and my body was weak and sore. I needed the rest. Today, I'm about to get right back to it. I have a couple little things to do, then I will get back to installing tile. I would like to get all the tile installed in the shower by the end of the day, but I don't know if I will be able to get it all done.

Thanks for reading!

I know you do not want to mess with the framing, but you need to fix that. If you leave it like that your wall will deflect too much anytime force is put on it. (And it will get leaned on, pushed on. Especially being the wall with the water knobs.) Putting tile over that framing will not work.

When installing stone or ceramic tile over floors and walls, each have different requirements. However, they have one thing in common. That is the necessity that they have a firm stable surface on which to be applied. Tile, be it stone or ceramic is hard and will break or dislodge if the surface bends under load. This is called deflection. Volumes can be written on deflection. However, the basic rule is that if the finished tile surface span deflects more than the calculated maximum deflection amount, the tiled surface will shear, buckle, and fail.
http://www.thetiledoctor.com/installations/deflection.cfm

I appreciate the input. I should clarify: the wall is lined up flat. The holes are just not in the right place. The hole for the shower is just a little to the right. You can see it in the picture, but I'm not sure it is apparent just what how it is out of alignment.

I look in on this thread to see that you made a tremendous amount of visible progress since the previous photos. I wasn't expecting to view such progress on the nice tile work.

When I was a kid our bathroom medicine cabinet had a blade disposal slot in the back of it. Really fired my imagination to consider all those blades falling down in the wall and how many could be held down there. Actually my dad just tossed his into the trash can and wouldn't use the slot.

Top Bottom