What's new

September 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.
Proraso blue pre-shave, Proraso single edge Cypress and vetyver, Tatara Masamune with Gillette Platinum.
Nice shave. Have to be honest, I don't think that I need more razors then Tatara and Karve. Both are smooth and just enough efficient that I can shave everyday and not worrying about irritation.

What I love about GRUME and restraints in general is that you focus on using what you have instead of consuming. After 2.5 years of shaving with a DE, I have changed my regular routine and the results have been more than promising so far.

First of all, I re-discovered the New LC which works great for me. It can bite you but if used correctly it can provide a close and comfortable shave every single day. I spent a couple of days comparing it with my New SC and I like it better so far. Perhaps it is the shape of the comb that makes it easier to find the proper angle.

Secondly, I switched from the regular WTG, XTG, ATG routine to 2.5 passes, a first WTG/XTG depending on the area followed by an ATG pass. The final half pass is some touchups I do on the upper neck and around the Adam's apple. I also stretch the skin a bit more. I applied this routine to both my OCs and the 34c, and the results are equivalent if not better.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

Dusted off the DE and had a Sandalwood theme this morning. Great way to start off my 1 day off this week.

Actually missed using the Gem.
Man, I had TOBS Sandalwood, because everyone seems to love it, but the smell was so parfumey and a bit artificial. It reminds me of something and for the love of God I cannot figured it out what it was. Ended up PIFing it and now I am looking at every sandalwood shave product as a potential failure.
I would like to try Proraso Red, but....do I really want to go the same road again?

Man, I had TOBS Sandalwood, because everyone seems to love it, but the smell was so parfumey and a bit artificial. It reminds me of something and for the love of God I cannot figured it out what it was. Ended up PIFing it and now I am looking at every sandalwood shave product as a potential failure.
I would like to try Proraso Red, but....do I really want to go the same road again?
The red smells okay, I like the pre-shave. I used the AoS Sandalwood tub, and hated it at first. It's something I put away for a while, revisited, and like it enough now to use it once in a while. Can't say I'm happy about what I paid for it, but at least I'm happy I didn't chuck it. As far as Sandalwood goes, I'm lucky to have a great pharmacy in the city that lets you smell product, and they literally have everything. I have not found a Sandalwood scent I liked better.

The red smells okay, I like the pre-shave. I used the AoS Sandalwood tub, and hated it at first. It's something I put away for a while, revisited, and like it enough now to use it once in a while. Can't say I'm happy about what I paid for it, but at least I'm happy I didn't chuck it. As far as Sandalwood goes, I'm lucky to have a great pharmacy in the city that lets you smell product, and they literally have everything. I have not found a Sandalwood scent I liked better.
Would that be Pasteur?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I really like the Proraso red. Used it a few times this week as a matter of fact. I combine it with kanon Norwegian Wood after shave that costs 4 or 5 bucks at TJMaxx. The combination is brilliant. I also have DR Harris Sandalwood after shave, which has great skin care properties and ingredients like camphor, but I like the scent of the kanon better.

I am just about to shave, actually. I intended to put the Proraso away and go back to 3017'ing a tub of Cella that I was using daily until Arko Sharko August, but that can wait till tomorrow. Sandalwood, here I come!

Still in... and lovin' it!

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (8)
  • ABC / WSP FTT
  • SOC Taj boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I had planned on a quick shave and that's what I got. I finally used the last of the Antica Barbieria Colla, combining it with WSP's Formula T Tobacco to get a nice slick lather with a rather confused scent. I didn't take my usual time and care with the shave, but I did my usual process and got my usual nice results.

I'll use the WSP FTT until Tabactober kicks in. Oh, and I'll continue to use the Rockwell until OCtober starts, at which time I'll have a number of choices at my disposal: Single Ring, NEW SC, Old Type and Parker A1R.

Last edited:
Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors:
Rockwell 6S (R5 plate), Wilkinson #10,
GC.68, Personna #10
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase.

This is a relaxing combination to use. I put the longer, heavier "Bulldog" handle on the Rockwell head, the shorter more agile Rockwell handle on the GC.68, and was rewarded with a BBS.

The GC.68 with its covered blade tabs is ideal for ATG and clean-up.

Still in.

- Pre: Shower
- Brush: Yaqi Segrada Familia synthetic
- Soap: Storybook Visions and Revisions
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (plate 3)
- Blade: Gillette Goal (2)
- AS: DG Massacre of the Innocents

I am liking my 6S’ plate 3 more and more for shaving daily. 2 is useless and 4 is too aggressive unless I have 2-3 days growth.

And I am now a total Gillette Goal fanboy after 2 shaves. I love this blade. I would stock up on a bunch of hundred packs if I didn’t already have thousands of other quality blades. I only picked up 50, but I will be grabbing a few more.

It sucks that Storybook shut down recently. Fantastic soaps and aftershaves and super cool owner.

Still in...

11/16 Bismarck
Tabac

D0944603-46ED-4E6E-B898-57651D9DEBC6.jpeg

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #1, GC.68, Boots (=German Personna) #1
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase.

Astra a bit "lively" on #1, but it is hard to go wrong with this setup.

I'm going to get a spare of the brush next month, as it has put up with 7 weeks of daily use, hasn't shed significantly, and works fine for bowl lathering.

Still in.
Same setup as usual, Tatara, Proraso pre-shave and cream, Gillette Platinum, and a Nivea aftershave splash and balm.
Nice close shave, I am very happy with his setup. The cream itself could be a less drying, but a small amount of balm easily fix it.
Artisan soaps with all different butters and oils are nice, but when basic shave cream and balm does the same job....you get my point.

Top Bottom