What's new

September 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Not still in ..... #24. Sorry gents. Running too low for comfort on a couple Stirling products I can’t do without. Topped up my order with a couple shaving things I don’t technically “need” in order to get free shipping.

At least the Vector I really want is still in the cart. The GRUME cured me of the itch to go through with that one this month anyway. I’ll save that for a special moment.

I’ll re-up for the October GRUME. See you then.
I do love me some Stirling, and I hope the "extras" that you got are good for you. As usual, feel free to play along at home and we'll hope to see you next month.

1) @FoolishMortal
2) JWCowboy - out (9/10: Artisan Brush)
3) @Timeclo
4) @ajduplessis
5) @RTM
6) @Kyle89
7) @cryhavoc
8) @Schnitzel52
9) @Sotiris_A
10) @SillyPancake
11) BigD - out (9/8: Christmas Present?)
12) @RookieGuy
13) @Stuart Ganis
14) @Owen Bawn
15) @4and20blackbirds
16) @Dezryder
17) @Chef455
18) @mattps1
19) @pbrmhl
20) Wgg2017 - out (9/7: PIFs)
21) @Ravenonrock
22) @SharpieB
23) Vaporstang - out (9/5: Shaving Mug)
24) ‘Bout Time - out (9/21: Stirling stuff)
25) @Roedeer

Still in.
The last of my lock-down razor acquisitions has arrived from August spending splurge. I have more New Improved and Deluxe razors than the average person now.

While restraining with hand, the other is liberally use up the stores of Simpsons unscented shaving creams. These are courtesy of Simpsons when I was preparing for the Great Brush Apocalypse of 2020 that never was.

Still in. Shaver to 78 JA Henckels
81E7D45F-1786-4CFB-A1EE-920D2A91196E.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I gave myself a haircut out on the back deck today- my first haircut since March. I had a lot to cut. I had purchased some clippers and finally screwed up the courage to use them. For a first effort at cutting my own hair it wasn't bad. It took over an hour, however, and I had a Zoom meeting so I did a fast shave and a shower. Wilkinson Sword stick, synthetic Simpson Duke 3, a Shark SS in the Super Speed. A quick splash of Floid Vigoroso. There is a mountain of hair out back. I realize I need to get a cape or an apron or whatever barbers call them. My clothes were absolutely covered in hair. My hair isn't evenly cut, but I can tell that after 3 or 4 cuts I'll have this down.

Haha nice nice. I wimped out on my first "covid haircut" and had my girlfriend do the honors. My sister facetimed me in the middle of it, so I took the call, and it was my sister and her boss on the call. Needless to say it was a pretty hilarious first impression meeting her boss for the first time. :)

Like traditional wet shaving, it gets easier the more you do it. Nothing beats a good barber though.

Still in but it was hard passing on a couple of new B&M releases today. Didn’t need them anyways!

- Pre-Shave: Shower
- Soap: Rockwell Barbershop (Sample)
- Brush: No name boar (free from a soapmaker)
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (plate 4)
- Blade: Gillette Goal (3)
- AS: DG Massacre of the Innocents
- Post-Shave: Thayers Witch Hazel and Hyaluronic Acid

Great shave today!

I gave myself a haircut out on the back deck today- my first haircut since March. I had a lot to cut. I had purchased some clippers and finally screwed up the courage to use them. For a first effort at cutting my own hair it wasn't bad. It took over an hour, however, and I had a Zoom meeting so I did a fast shave and a shower. Wilkinson Sword stick, synthetic Simpson Duke 3, a Shark SS in the Super Speed. A quick splash of Floid Vigoroso. There is a mountain of hair out back. I realize I need to get a cape or an apron or whatever barbers call them. My clothes were absolutely covered in hair. My hair isn't evenly cut, but I can tell that after 3 or 4 cuts I'll have this down.
I have been using a clipper for 20+ years and I always cut my hair in the bathroom before a shower. I keep the central vac hose handy and vacuum everything just before I shower. No mess at all. 👍

Cutting hair outside is a mess IME. I have an inground pool, so it isn't even an option for me.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have been using a clipper for 20+ years and I always cut my hair in the bathroom before a shower. I keep the central vac hose handy and vacuum everything just before I shower. No mess at all. 👍

Cutting hair outside is a mess IME. I have an inground pool, so it isn't even an option for me.
I hear you. I'll probably do it indoors moving forward, but my hair was coming off in 7 or 8 inch long sheaths today. It was a lot of hair. Too bad it isn't bird mating season. It'd make good nest bedding. Now the mice will probably use it to build nests in my garage when I'm not looking. I'd better go rake it up.

Way to be strong, SharpieB! It's tough seeing wet shaving gear in the wild and having to pass. Mrs. Rookie likes antiquing, which means I go to a lot of antique shops. It's tough walking away from some of that.

But you're right! You don't need it yet. You got a good shave today and had less than 10 days to go!

SOTD - 22 SEP 2020

SOTD 09222020.jpg

Nice shave today with some oldies. The boar feels great on the face and the cream did the job. I revisited the Old Type and it gave a really nice shave. I feel the blade but riding the guard tamed it and I had a comfortable DFS result.

No temptations so far. Just cruising along.

SOTD - 22 SEP 2020

View attachment 1158697

Nice shave today with some oldies. The boar feels great on the face and the cream did the job. I revisited the Old Type and it gave a really nice shave. I feel the blade but riding the guard tamed it and I had a comfortable DFS result.

No temptations so far. Just cruising along.
My Wade and Butcher DE has that same handle I believe. It's a hunk, I love it.

Top Bottom