What's new

Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine

I’ve used the Mistura butterscotch about half a dozen times and haven’t sat down to formulate a good review but here’s one random thought, I’ve been doing a fourth pass with this brush. Why? Because I can. The brush makes a great lather but also there is plenty of lather available for a 4th trip. The brush doesn’t eat it and also after a 3rd pass most brushes seem to consume the rest of the lather I get it out rinsing it out but the Mistura just let’s it flow.
That one thing alone makes it such a pleasure to use.
I agree. I lather for three passes every day. On Saturday I also lather the back of my neck to shave, which is effectively a fourth pass. I use the Mistura on Saturday, and after all of that lathering, the brush still has and will release another lather pass. Amazing.

I’ve used the Mistura butterscotch about half a dozen times and haven’t sat down to formulate a good review but here’s one random thought, I’ve been doing a fourth pass with this brush. Why? Because I can. The brush makes a great lather but also there is plenty of lather available for a 4th trip. The brush doesn’t eat it and also after a 3rd pass most brushes seem to consume the rest of the lather I get it out rinsing it out but the Mistura just let’s it flow.
That one thing alone makes it such a pleasure to use.
I agree. I lather for three passes every day. On Saturday I also lather the back of my neck to shave, which is effectively a fourth pass. I use the Mistura on Saturday, and after all of that lathering, the brush still has and will release another lather pass. Amazing.
Semogue Mistura, the FLOW-THROUGH King (or Queen, depending on which sex you assign to your brush)! :punk:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sorry if this is a redundant question but I can’t quite sort out if the Semogue Owners Club Finest Mistura Shaving Brush – Taj Resin – is the same knot as the butterscotch version. Someone posted earlier that the taj was a previous version from a few years ago. Any clarification on this is appreciated thanks.

Sorry if this is a redundant question but I can’t quite sort out if the Semogue Owners Club Finest Mistura Shaving Brush – Taj Resin – is the same knot as the butterscotch version. Someone posted earlier that the taj was a previous version from a few years ago. Any clarification on this is appreciated thanks.

Yes, same knot, just different colour handle.
The white (Taj) handle has been around a bit longer, the butterscotch one was added more recently.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes, same knot, just different colour handle.
The white (Taj) handle has been around a bit longer, the butterscotch one was added more recently.
Thanks. I’m trying to decide if I like the ivory or should I get a second butterscotch

Still very impressed with this brush. Dare say it’s the best experience I’ve had. However after a few years of using synthetic I recently switched back to boar badger and now the M. But I’ve primarily used cream to not have the variable of not being able to make a quick and easy lather. This week I’ll try the M on some soaps.

Thanks. I’m trying to decide if I like the ivory or should I get a second butterscotch

Still very impressed with this brush. Dare say it’s the best experience I’ve had. However after a few years of using synthetic I recently switched back to boar badger and now the M. But I’ve primarily used cream to not have the variable of not being able to make a quick and easy lather. This week I’ll try the M on some soaps.
Mistura was my first natural hair brush in about six years when I got it. Now I rarely touch my synthetics. I face lather hard soaps almost exclusively and love the Mistura for that purpose.

Some sites, like yourshaving advertise a Semogue SOC Mixed, but don't use the word Mistura. Taj resin or ash wood. Probably the same as the Mistura. Right?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Some sites, like yourshaving advertise a Semogue SOC Mixed, but don't use the word Mistura. Taj resin or ash wood. Probably the same as the Mistura. Right?

I believe Mistura and Mixed are the same thing in different languages.

1616342170412.png

Several guys have said the same thing, and the online translation gizmos agree, but I'm no linguist or expert on Semogue's manufacturing and marketing.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Chan Eil Whiskers
Jim, how would compare the Mistura to Zeniths', especially in terms of density?
As you may not remember, I do own a Zenith slivertip but it is not frequently used due to its size and density (big and thick).
I tend to prefer smaller knots (max 24mm) with medium density.
Due to lockdown here shops are closed, thus if I were to pull the trigger it would be a blind buy so your input would be appreciated.

P.S. I have no shaving experience with the SOC 2band variant but held one in my hands and found the knot to be a little bigger and denser than desired.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers
Jim, how would compare the Mistura to Zeniths', especially in terms of density?
As you may not remember, I do own a Zenith slivertip but it is not frequently used due to its size and density (big and thick).
I tend to prefer smaller knots (max 24mm) with medium density.
Due to lockdown here shops are closed, thus if I were to pull the trigger it would be a blind buy so your input would be appreciated.

P.S. I have no shaving experience with the SOC 2band variant but held one in my hands and found the knot to be a little bigger and denser than desired.

One of the main things I like about the Semogue SOC Mistura (and Cal likes about his C3) is the flow-through which means the knots are not lather hogs. Rather they release the lather (to your face) relatively well. That's another way of saying Semogue nailed the density. I'd say the density is just perfect but it's certainly not dense like some of the high density knots or those with extra density.

In my opinion, density can be overdone, but I also like some of the very dense knots. It's all about getting it just right for the particular hairs/bristles and knot. In my view, Semogue nailed it.

I'd say the 24 mm Semogue SOC Mistura is a rather big feeling 24 mm knot. I would prefer it to be larger, like 26 mm or 28 mm, but I like really large knots. Cal's brush is smaller than mine - his is 22 mm - and he'd prefer even smaller, perhaps 18 mm, but Cal likes very small knots. What we agree on is this: The Mistura is a great knot.

There's no way to insure you or anyone will like what Cal and I like, but I think by reading this thread you can get a pretty good idea what those of us who like the Mistura like about it.

I do not know how to compare the Mistura with a (purely) badger knot. They're too dissimilar. Be aware I am a big fan of scrub. The Mistura has a "wonderfully delicious scrub," but it might not be to everyone's taste.

I hope that helps.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm so glad Jim twisted my arm (subliminally) in a PM. I held off at first because I thought "badger hair and boar bristle mixed? that seems like a stupid idea." After eventually caving in, I couldn't be more pleased.
Curiosity DIDN'T kill the cat this time. :punk:
I do not know how to compare the Mistura with a (purely) badger knot. They're too dissimilar. Be aware I am a big fan of scrub. The Mistura has a "wonderfully delicious scrub," but it might not be to everyone's taste.
Ditto here. :thumbsup:

I love scrub but hate scritch.

I'm so glad Jim twisted my arm (subliminally) in a PM. I held off at first because I thought "badger hair and boar bristle mixed? that seems like a stupid idea." After eventually caving in, I couldn't be more pleased.
Curiosity DIDN'T kill the cat this time. :punk:

Ditto here. :thumbsup:

I love scrub but hate scritch.
Agreed. I hate scritch; I love scrub. The Mistura is absolutely perfect for my tastes.

You all are enabling very well. I think a Mistura of some type is on the wishlist.

Suppose you had a choice between the SOC Mistura, C5 Mistura or the C3 Mistura, which would you choose and why would that be your choice? I already have a C5 Torga Premium Boar, BTW. Great brush.

I think the SOC handle is ergonomically ideal. However, the Torga C5 boar handle has grown on me enough that I picked up a C3 Mistura to try out the smaller knot.

In terms of knot size, I like the 24mm size of the SOC and C5, which feels larger than it is but isn't oversize for me (I've grown to like the 22-25mm range). I think it mostly comes down to your preference in terms of knot sizes generally and handles generally. I'm thinking the 22mm C3 may become even a better little scrubby face lathering machine than the SOC, but I've used the SOC so much that I just know it like the back of my hand, and it is my favorite lathering tool by far.

It's a tough call. If you like the handle of the C5 Torga boar, it's hard to imagine you'd be disappointed with the C5 Mistura, but depending on your feelings regarding the SOC handle, the OC version might be even better. For me, it's just about perfect.

...It's a tough call. If you like the handle of the C5 Torga boar, it's hard to imagine you'd be disappointed with the C5 Mistura, but depending on your feelings regarding the SOC handle, the OC version might be even better. For me, it's just about perfect.
I'm leaning to the SOC Mistura, it fills a hole in the collection. I thought the SOC boar was a bit too big so got the C5 boar, but the SOC Mistura seems more under control somehow.

I'm leaning to the SOC Mistura, it fills a hole in the collection. I thought the SOC boar was a bit too big so got the C5 boar, but the SOC Mistura seems more under control somehow.
Maybe it’s to new but the SOC boar hasn’t gone soft on me. It blooms not overly large and is as scrubby as the Mistura. The thing that differentiates them is the additional plushness of the badger in the mix.
4FFBA19F-DFBC-4CB8-934D-2F85DDD65C30.jpeg

Top Bottom