What's new

Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine

I'm leaning to the SOC Mistura, it fills a hole in the collection. I thought the SOC boar was a bit too big so got the C5 boar, but the SOC Mistura seems more under control somehow.
The C5 boar is a 5mm shorter knot than the SOC, I believe, which helps control bloom. The C5 boar became a favorite for me last year. Never have tried the SOC boar. Eventually maybe.

I would define the Mistura this way. Sit at your table and put the SOC boar on the left side and the SOC badger on the right side and the Mistura exactly in the middle. For me everything I like about a boar and everything I like about a badger is in the Mistura, but breaking in the boar or the lack of backbone in the badger does not show in the Mistura.

A perfect brush

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I would define the Mistura this way. Sit at your table and put the SOC boar on the left side and the SOC badger on the right side and the Mistura exactly in the middle. For me everything I like about a boar and everything I like about a badger is in the Mistura, but breaking in the boar or the lack of backbone in the badger does not show in the Mistura.

A perfect brush
Maybe also a sign of a great brush is I really wasn’t aware of the need for a break in period with mistura.

Maybe also a sign of a great brush is I really wasn’t aware of the need for a break in period with mistura.
Any of the boar brushes I have had did require a break in period. It wasn’t so much for the ends splitting it was all about the lather. Before the brush has gone well on its way to being broken in the lather tends to stay thin and will disappear. This gets better as the break in continues. From the first use of my Mistura the lather was fine.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Any of the boar brushes I have had did require a break in period. It wasn’t so much for the ends splitting it was all about the lather. Before the brush has gone well on its way to being broken in the lather tends to stay thin and will disappear. This gets better as the break in continues. From the first use of my Mistura the lather was fine.

My Mistura was excellent from day one, but it's improved since then, especially during the course of the Fixed Four.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It gets better? 🤯😄🤩

Mine has. The scrub has become "wonderfully delicious," and nothing else has changed for the worse. It's definitely better now in my experience with it.

I judge a brush by its overall performance but number one on my list is scrub, and wonderfully delicious is the highest peak in my rating scale for scrub.

ThaterHandle.NeverWet.70:30Knot.640.SevereBottomAngle.4-29-20.JPG

My Maggard 70/30 bulb, pictured here after I'd installed it in an old Thater handle, and before it was ever exposed to water, is another wonderfully deliciously scrubby knot. However, there's a caveat: The 70/30 is wonderfully delicious with a bit of scritch (bad scritch in my rating system) whereas the Mistura is devoid of bad scritch and thus much more highly rated in that category.

I still have hopes for the 70/30, but after many shaves it isn't there yet. I have another 70/30 knot, from Oumo, which is a fan. It is a borrowed knot. Much more towards wonderfully delicious it is, although I've not used it enough to compare it with other brushes.

You'll notice in my post at the beginning of this thread, I didn't see the Mistura as wonderfully delicious when it was brand new. That means it's changed considerably since then. For the better.

I probably should evaluate the Mistura very carefully now for scritch (bad scritch). Perhaps there is some that I could find if I look for it. Perhaps not. In use, I don't notice any bad scritch, and that is the main evaluation metric, how it feels in actual use as a shaving brush.

Just my subjective impressions of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mine has. The scrub has become "wonderfully delicious," and nothing else has changed for the worse. It's definitely better now in my experience with it.

I judge a brush by its overall performance but number one on my list is scrub, and wonderfully delicious is the highest peak in my rating scale for scrub.

View attachment 1241516

My Maggard 70/30 bulb, pictured here after I'd installed it in an old Thater handle, and before it was ever exposed to water, is another wonderfully deliciously scrubby knot. However, there's a caveat: The 70/30 is wonderfully delicious with a bit of scritch (bad scritch in my rating system) whereas the Mistura is devoid of bad scritch and thus much more highly rated in that category.

I still have hopes for the 70/30, but after many shaves it isn't there yet. I have another 70/30 knot, from Oumo, which is a fan. It is a borrowed knot. Much more towards wonderfully delicious it is, although I've not used it enough to compare it with other brushes.

You'll notice in my post at the beginning of this thread, I didn't see the Mistura as wonderfully delicious when it was brand new. That means it's changed considerably since then. For the better.

I probably should evaluate the Mistura very carefully now for scritch (bad scritch). Perhaps there is some that I could find if I look for it. Perhaps not. In use, I don't notice any bad scritch, and that is the main evaluation metric, how it feels in actual use as a shaving brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim
on scritch...

I tried a Vielong horse brush and couldn't get along with the characteristics of it at all. Floppy and scritchy or horsey? Idk and I don't want to find out with a second brush either. I decided horse isn't for me

Then there was the Zenith 506AK Manchurian that had 1 upside down hair in the knot - it felt like a fishbone poking your face. Once I removed it, it quickly became one of my most favorite scrubby brushes.

Last but not least Simpsons Pure. Whilst the Eagle G3 is wonderful scrubby it's no backbone monster but very enjoyable. The little Special S1 though is borderline for me. Short loft and definitely some scrith but treat it gently and it will produce lather depently and quick.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

View attachment 1241516

Happy shaves,

Jim
Love that bee hive handle. Another one I’ve been chasing. I had one made but it’s on the small side. Anyway as to scritch. The M produces no noticeable scritch. I think the first use I felt some so I’ll describe that as bad because it was noticeable. Now that I’ve got several shaves in I’ll try to pay specific attention to that.

Having your statement in mind I focused today in my shave with the Mistura if I could find any scritch. TBH, I couldn't.

20210414_112803-01-01-01.jpeg

What I like so much about this brush is its balance. The knot is dense (enough) without being a floppy mop like the SOC Boar, but also incredibly balanced in its relationship between the moderate softness of the brush tips and its moderate backbone. Moderate is meant in a positive way.

In my opinion, the Mistura is even closer in character to the SOC Two-band Badger than to the SOC Boar. The flow trough is very good (the SOC Boar definetly can't compete).

The Mistura is a tad more rustic perhaps than the SOC 2-band finest badger (because of the backbone), but by no means unattractive. Quite the opposite!

If I had to describe the Mistura in just one word, it would be "balanced".

I really enjoy this brush!

Anyway as to scritch. The M produces no noticeable scritch. I think the first use I felt some so I’ll describe that as bad because it was noticeable. Now that I’ve got several shaves in I’ll try to pay specific attention to that.
Looking forward to reading your thoughts...

Having your statement in mind I focused today in my shave with the Mistura if I could find any scritch. TBH, I couldn't.

View attachment 1251417

What I like so much about this brush is its balance. The knot is dense (enough) without being a floppy mop like the SOC Boar, but also incredibly balanced in its relationship between the moderate softness of the brush tips and its moderate backbone. Moderate is meant in a positive way.

In my opinion, the Mistura is even closer in character to the SOC Two-band Badger than to the SOC Boar. The flow trough is very good (the SOC Boar definetly can't compete).

The Mistura is a tad more rustic perhaps than the SOC 2-band finest badger (because of the backbone), but by no means unattractive. Quite the opposite!

How long has it taken the SOC boar to turn floppy? I’m still enjoying it in the scrubby stage.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

View attachment 1251417

⬆ Nicely done. ⬆

SOC.Damp.Square.3-18.640.jpg

Turning to the SOC boar for a minute. I, too, have mixed feelings about it. To me, it's an okay boar. I don't hate it at all, but I also don't love it. I like it reasonably well. I think it's scrubby enough to be okay in that department, but it's also kinda floppy albeit not too very floppy.

I like the handle a lot which is a factor in why I've kept it around.

Of note: Mine took a very long time to fully break in.

I do wish the Mistura were a larger knot (26 mm or 28 mm or even 30 mm). That said, it's an excellent brush - balanced is a great descriptor for it - with truly definitive flow-through and wonderful scrub.

SemogueSOC.Mistura.480.JPG

I loved the Mistura from the very beginning, but I like it even better now. I'm not sure how many times I've used it, but I'd guess more than 50 times at minimum - about 30 of those were during the recent Fixed Four - and it continues to improve at least in my opinion of it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

linty1

My wallet cries.
re: the floppiness on the soc boar, just playing with it (swirling it on your palm etc) dry, it -seems- to have a lot of backbone, but once you soak it to use, it goes away quite noticebly, for me anyways and what I've noticed.

Those mistura knots look nice...

S

Scrubby

Don’t want to hijack the thread, bit i almost clicked on “buy” for a butterscotch mistura, then i thought i could ask my wonderful B&B enablers for advice. I only face lather with soaps and croaps. I love my chubby 2 mancurian more than the ch2 best, and i even like my plain omega 10019 boar. Do you guys think i am chosen for a SOC mistura?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Don’t want to hijack the thread, bit i almost clicked on “buy” for a butterscotch mistura, then i thought i could ask my wonderful B&B enablers for advice. I only face lather with soaps and croaps. I love my chubby 2 mancurian more than the ch2 best, and i even like my plain omega 10019 boar. Do you guys think i am chosen for a SOC mistura?

Yes, but don't trust me. Trust your gut.

linty1

My wallet cries.

Same, I'm looking at the butterscotch soc mistura... I already have a butterscotch handle, but I like the colour better than the taj handle. And sorta juggling the mistura in the c5 torga handle... although again, I like the longer handle of the soc.

Top Bottom