What's new

Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So the positive reviews are not hyperbole. The handle is perfection. Hefty abs beefy but not too heavy. Sits in the hand perfectly. The knot is super fantastic. I left it in a mug of warm/hot water from the tap while I showered. I used Proraso line cream. I was a good 30 seconds into face lathering when I almost had to remind myself I was using a new brush. I don’t see how this needs a break in period. Once I focused more I could feel a small momentary scritch. In the time it took to wonder if that was the boar bristles it seemed to go away. I did notice 2 (I think) hairs shed during use. No shedding when I palm lathered and washed it yesterday. Hopefully there’s no shedding. Was that noticed by anyone?
Face lathering was a dream. In fact I did a full 4 pass shave just to keep using the brush. Probably crazy but I’m actually thinking of getting another one now. 🙂🤣😂😉
Thoughts. Questions comments?

My Mistura loses an occasional hair. Not every shave. Not very often.

GreenMug.640.JPG

I generally soak the brush in warm water while showering. Shortly before lathering I remove the brush, shake out the water (one shake), pour out half the water from my soaking mug, replace it with hot tap water. Thus the water is very warm (but not hot). The brush is then soaked for a few more seconds but only up to about 60% - 70% immersion of the knot.

I've no idea my soaking method is better than any other. I always hope to have hot lather for the first pass but never do.

10-27-20.PAA.BrushWarmer&SOC.Side-by-side.640.JPG

After the first lathering I use this ugly PAA brush warmer, so my second lathering is with warm lather. I have the handsome large and small Moss scuttles (brush warmers), too, but believe the ugly warmer works a bit better.

The Semogue SOC Mistura has lost only a few hairs and/or bristles over the time I've been using it. I don't think of it as a shedder.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim, your soaking procedure is similar to mine, although I don't have the second soak. Just a single soak while showering, then three or four shakes and into lathering. I don't worry about warm lather on the first pass; it's overrated anyway. That said, I have pondered a brush scuttle like that PAA one for some time. I had a Moss scuttle long ago and a gravy warmer from World Market more recently, the latter of which broke after seven or eight years of faithful service. Maybe I'll pick up the PAA version eventually.

Today I was reminded of how remarkable the characteristics of this knot really are. It feels dense and larger than its nominal size. It has loads of backbone. At the same time, its lather release is superior to any badger brush I've used. The face lathering process is nearly as fast as with a synthetic and more enjoyable due to the scrubby-but-soft-tipped combination. It is unique in my experience of brushes, closest in character to a D01 3-band from Shavemac or a really good Best from Simpson but beating both of them at actually putting the lather on your face instead of holding it in the heart of the knot.

Ultimately, the Mistura just feels like I think a shaving brush ought to feel, sturdy and full and firm and plush all at once. Elemental, yet luxurious. I have a perpetual case of SBAD, but if I were to have only one, it'd be this brush. It feels like wetshaving the way bay rum or Proraso green smell like wetshaving, the way a straight or an SE sounds like wetshaving, the way a mug of Old Spice soap looks like wetshaving.

My Mistura loses an occasional hair. Not every shave. Not very often.

View attachment 1236557

I generally soak the brush in warm water while showering. Shortly before lathering I remove the brush, shake out the water (one shake), pour out half the water from my soaking mug, replace it with hot tap water. Thus the water is very warm (but not hot). The brush is then soaked for a few more seconds but only up to about 60% - 70% immersion of the knot.

I've no idea my soaking method is better than any other. I always hope to have hot lather for the first pass but never do.

View attachment 1236559

After the first lathering I use this ugly PAA brush warmer, so my second lathering is with warm lather. I have the handsome large and small Moss scuttles (brush warmers), too, but believe the ugly warmer works a bit better.

The Semogue SOC Mistura has lost only a few hairs and/or bristles over the time I've been using it. I don't think of it as a shedder.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have the same scuttle and didn’t consider it ugly until now😊

If anyone's still on the fence about purchasing a Semogue Mistura, I see there are two Torgas going on the BST.

A C3 (22/50 knot) and a C5 (24/53 knot [same as the SOC]).

Here's my Torga-C3:
Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura + Groomer-500_2021-03-14.jpg
:001_wub:

It is without doubt the best brush I own (performance, ergonomics, you name it). I have quite a few much more expensive, and excellent, brushes... but none match Semogue's Finest Mistura.

(If I had my way I'd get one with an 18mm knot [as I prefer smaller brushes], but Semogue's smallest appears to be the 22mm.)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
If anyone's still on the fence about purchasing a Semogue Mistura, I see there are two Torgas going on the BST.

A C3 (22/50 knot) and a C5 (24/53 knot [same as the SOC]).

Here's my Torga-C3:
View attachment 1238114 :001_wub:

It is without doubt the best brush I own (performance, ergonomics, you name it). I have quite a few much more expensive, and excellent, brushes... but none match Semogue's Finest Mistura.

(If I had my way I'd get one with an 18mm knot [as I prefer smaller brushes], but Semogue's smallest appears to be the 22mm.)
I’m looking at the c3 now. 😄
Any help enabling with a pic of the c3 and mistura together? 😉

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
In hunting around sone more I’ve seen the soc mistura described as Caravela
Does anyone know what that’s all about?

Some years back, there was a Semogue special edition brush that was made in very small quantities. It was a mixed knot with a resin handle. There is now available a version of the SOC Mistura with butterscotch handle that is similar to the older Caravela. So, people use the term Caravela even though it is not strictly correct.

1616123204814.png

Some years back, there was a Semogue special edition brush that was made in very small quantities. It was a mixed knot with a resin handle. There is now available a version of the SOC Mistura with butterscotch handle that is similar to the older Caravela. So, people use the term Caravela even though it is not strictly correct.

View attachment 1238578

And here is a nice picture of this limited edition brush (2011)...

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Richard @Eclipse Red Ring has the nicest Semogue LE‘s that I ever have seen.
Thank you 🙂 I think @XF17 might have me beat, what a collection!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

View attachment 1238578
And here is a nice picture of this limited edition brush (2011)...

Thanks for the info. In searching for an ivory soc I found that reference and was confused if it was the new version because it’s a better price
I was looking at the black handle version but I think I like the oc handle much better. Initially I was going to get a second butterscotch but now I’m thinking ivory. Thanks for listening to my insanity

I used the Barbear Classico Mistura today. Different handle, theoretically the same knot, but...it seems a bit smaller than the SOC version on the face. It's still a lather monster with soft tips and perfect backbone, just a bit more compact.

Can't wait for the C3.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ve used the Mistura butterscotch about half a dozen times and haven’t sat down to formulate a good review but here’s one random thought, I’ve been doing a fourth pass with this brush. Why? Because I can. The brush makes a great lather but also there is plenty of lather available for a 4th trip. The brush doesn’t eat it and also after a 3rd pass most brushes seem to consume the rest of the lather I get it out rinsing it out but the Mistura just let’s it flow.
That one thing alone makes it such a pleasure to use.

Top Bottom