What's new

Seeking suggestions for a first (real) rifle

I didn't know they made fatigues in my size!:lol:
+1 - Exactly why I don't plan on being the last man standing after the zombie apocalypse. These first couple of rifles are just to see how I do at punching paper and ventilating water jugs at a distance.
First of all get a rifle you like and budget for it. If you like it you will take pride in ownership. Then you will learn to hit with it and have the confidence needed for hunting big game. You must learn your limit as far as accuracy and range. I don't fault anybody's choice of caliber as long as the caliber is adequate for the game hunted. You hear about the long distances but in reality I've taken more game at 100 yards or less and that includes antelope. Be a hunter- rifleman more than a rifleman-hunter. The answer is a scoped bolt action. Enjoy a successful hunt so you can tell lies around the campfire!
My goal when I started this thread was looking for a "beginners rifle". Not only do I not know what my likes and dislikes are going to be, but I also to find my own limits. If I can be comfortable handling the long arms and show some ability, maybe in a couple of years I'll look into a guided hunt out west.

+1, what he said.Get the rifle make and model that you like because you will have it a long time. Get it in a caliber that will do everything you want it to do, that you can shoot very well consistently,and that you will shoot frequently. Some ideas: .270Win,.308,7mm-08,.300 WSM,.25-06.There is really nothing in the CONUS that you can't handle with these.

Admittedly I only read the first and last page. For a first rifle caliber my vote goes for a 243 bolt action lightweight rifle. Mild recoil, very versatile, common popular round.

PugslyCat, the 110 in .270 is an excellent choice. The 110 is a proven reliable and accurate rifle, plenty of aftermarket parts (stocks/triggers etc.) and .270 is an adequate round.

I am a hunter and I NEED a detachable mag because it is way more convenient to load reload in the field, but if you are just plinking from the bench then not a problem. I seem to remember seeing a mod to 110's to make them a detachable mag with boring an inlet in the stock and attaching an aluminum insert.

Bottom Line you bought a solid first (real) rifle! Now go blast dem cans! And give us pics.

Top Bottom