What's new

Considering a Remington 788 in .308

I was telling my uncle I was saving up for some toys and so he asked me what kind of toys... I listed a few things (firearms, fishing stuff, camping stuff, etc). One was a .308 for some target shooting up to 500 yards and for some coyote hunting. I have a real nice 7MM SAUM but rounds are about $5 each. I have about 250 rounds and want to be pretty sparing with them due to cost and the rifle is a limited edition RMEF stainless Remington.

Anyways, does anyone own a 788 in .308? Do you like it? What would be a fair offer (I see them ranging from $450 to $650 and his has a 4-12 Tasco world class scope which looks like an OEM type scope but they are like $60)? I was thinking about $500 plus I would pay for shipping and FFL transfer.

What are your thoughts?

I should have added, I am looking at a Ruger American in .308 with a Leupold Freedom 4-12 so I am not looking for anything special but wanted to buy US made. I would put the Tasco asside and put the Leupold Freedom 4-12 on the 788 if I were to get it.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have a Savage Axis in stainless steel caliber .308. There is a thread out there somewhere about me looking for a rifle and I think I put a picture in it when I bought it. I think I paid a little over 400 US dollars for and it came with a scope. It is way more accurate than I am. And does it’s job without issue or complaint. I do not have the Accutrigger so can’t comment on that. Stock trigger on mine isn’t great but there is a trigger job available cheap that I might do. I have no doubt it will outlive me. Savage center fire rifles are made in U.S.A and rim fires are made in Canada. I have both. Good rifles all around.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Pics? Target pics next time you go to the range? Inquiring minds want to know!

No pics of the rifle, sorry I put it away and I'm wiped out. I was at the range for 3 hours today.

I don't know what the heck happened but I had to start over from bore sighting at 25 yards. The hole covers are from my 100 yard. The pic is for the 200 yard. It's a good shooter. About 30 total shots today. I tossed the 25/50 yard target, it was a leftover from last time.

I'll take pics of it when I un-case it next time I go to the range.

20230326_155937.jpg

Top Bottom