What's new

Scotch start

If you go around (Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scottia or Newfoundland) you might find something. I'm sure members living in those respective provinces could chip in at this point to confirm the availability.

It so strange how booze is sold in the same country but differently in the provinces... Last time I was in Nova Scotia, they have independants bottle shops that sell beer/wine/spirits...

I think I saw those 3 yesterday so I will try to get a bottle of each :001_rolle

In Quebec we have the SAQ (Alcohol society of Quebec) which have the monopoly (I'm not sure of the words, but they are in control of every alcool), by law, over every sale of alcoholic beverage except beer and wine. And they have the monopoly, again by law (SAQ is a governmental organisation) over every importation in Quebec. Each province is responsible for their alcohol system, so Quebec has this one, I don't know for others. But I'll check in Other provinces when I go and I planned to go to USA when I turn 21 in 3 months (in Quebec, legal drinking age is 18) so I'll check for some good scotch provided in this thread.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
In Quebec we have the SAQ (Alcohol society of Quebec) which have the monopoly (I'm not sure of the words, but they are in control of every alcool), by law, over every sale of alcoholic beverage except beer and wine. And they have the monopoly, again by law (SAQ is a governmental organisation) over every importation in Quebec. Each province is responsible for their alcohol system, so Quebec has this one, I don't know for others. But I'll check in Other provinces when I go and I planned to go to USA when I turn 21 in 4 months (in Quebec, legal drinking age is 18) so I'll check for some good scotch provided in this thread.

Yup, I know a good bit of history about the SAQ... There will be a tax on < 1.14L and a different tax bracket for > 1.14L imported beer/wine/spirit. If you stay and buy within Canada (from a different province), it doesn't apply.

In Ontario they have the LCBO and the beer store (that usually close before you can get there during the week!). Newfoundland has the Newfoundland and Labador liquor commission (I think). Nova Scotia has a goverment regulated bottle shop on top of independant bottle shops.

I do not remember how much the government in Quebec takes (&#37;) for each bottle but I think it's more than 50%...

I will try the mentionned Scotchs for sure now!

Yup, I know a good bit of history about the SAQ... There will be a tax on < 1.14L and a different tax bracket for > 1.14L imported beer/wine/spirit. If you stay and buy within Canada (from a different province), it doesn't apply.

In Ontario they have the LCBO and the beer store (that usually close before you can get there during the week!). Newfoundland has the Newfoundland and Labador liquor commission (I think). Nova Scotia has a goverment regulated bottle shop on top of independant bottle shops.

I do not remember how much the government in Quebec takes (%) for each bottle but I think it's more than 50%...

I will try the mentionned Scotchs for sure now!

I don't know how much they take, but last number I saw was for their profit. PROFIT: and they are a governenemental society. They have about 19% profit I think, which is Ginormous for a non-profit society

Cstrother, the coolfest tends to be on Sunday afternoons in Cottiers, when the jazz band plays. The Polo's in the city centre and, while a bit rundown now, was at one point voted the best gay club in the UK. Not gay myself but I find those places much nicer than many straight clubs, which tend to have a pretty violent atmosphere. Also, many women tend to be more at ease with you there, as they (rightly) assume you're not an arrogant moron whose just after one thing.

Cstrother, the coolfest tends to be on Sunday afternoons in Cottiers, when the jazz band plays. The Polo's in the city centre and, while a bit rundown now, was at one point voted the best gay club in the UK. Not gay myself but I find those places much nicer than many straight clubs, which tend to have a pretty violent atmosphere. Also, many women tend to be more at ease with you there, as they (rightly) assume you're not an arrogant moron whose just after one thing.

Very interesting. Missed the Jazz Band. If that was a hangover from the afternoon's Jazz activities you really do have some drinking clubbing folks in Glasgow because they were still going strong late Sunday.

Completely agree that almost any town with a good club scene almost has to have good gay clubs in the mix. Those clubs tend to raise the bar as to quality and as to keeping things fresh. And no doubt that diversity in the overall club scene is good. No diversity no energy, which means boring. If things do not stay fresh, people will not bother to come up. They might as well just hang around home with their friends if the clubs do not offer something different than than, and that is exactly what they/I will do.

I did not sense the violent atmosphere, but as a tourist I might not have. I get the impression that Glasgow is an old industrial, and I guess docks, too, town. Makes sense that there would be a tough element. Which can be a bring down for a club's atmosphere. Most folks want to relax, be social, and have good time, not have to deal with a bunch of testosterone and engage in a bunch of manhood length measuring contests!

Being new to scotch isn't what really matters, it's all a matter of taste and finding what you like, your opinion is just as good as anyone else's in that area. The thing is to go out and taste some scotch to find what you like. The best way to do this is to find a "tasting" in your area, do a search online or ask someone at one of the better stores selling scotch in your area. These are events hosted by makers of scotch where you pay a one price ticket for the evening which usually includes dinner, a speaker, and a number of free tasting samples from any of the scotch distributors in attendance. A good way to taste a number of different brands without having to buy a whole bottle and you will be surprised at what you like. I can recommend you consider Oban or Dalwhinnie, both single malt, 14 and 15 year old respectively but remember it's about what you like not someone else. Single malt is for the true scotch lover and gives the best consistency but there are blends for the recreational dabbler, try Cutty Sark and stop using ice cubes. good luck bc

Luc

Staff member
I don't know how much they take, but last number I saw was for their profit. PROFIT: and they are a governenemental society. They have about 19% profit I think, which is Ginormous for a non-profit society

They finally opened their books... I thought it was quite amazing that a controled government organisation that doesn't have to pay taxes could keep their figures hidden so nobody would smack them on the wrists for taking too much... The system works :001_rolle

They finally opened their books... I thought it was quite amazing that a controled government organisation that doesn't have to pay taxes could keep their figures hidden so nobody would smack them on the wrists for taking too much... The system works :001_rolle

Well, they tried hard to hold those numbers, but someone from the press finally managed to acquire them and there was some sort of scandal over this, because they are suppose to be a non-profit business.

Being new to scotch isn't what really matters, it's all a matter of taste and finding what you like, your opinion is just as good as anyone else's in that area. The thing is to go out and taste some scotch to find what you like. The best way to do this is to find a "tasting" in your area, do a search online or ask someone at one of the better stores selling scotch in your area. These are events hosted by makers of scotch where you pay a one price ticket for the evening which usually includes dinner, a speaker, and a number of free tasting samples from any of the scotch distributors in attendance. A good way to taste a number of different brands without having to buy a whole bottle and you will be surprised at what you like. I can recommend you consider Oban or Dalwhinnie, both single malt, 14 and 15 year old respectively but remember it's about what you like not someone else. Single malt is for the true scotch lover and gives the best consistency but there are blends for the recreational dabbler, try Cutty Sark and stop using ice cubes. good luck bc

The Tasting is a good Idea, I'll look around to see if I can find any,
Thanks

Luc

Staff member
Well, they tried hard to hold those numbers, but someone from the press finally managed to acquire them and there was some sort of scandal over this, because they are suppose to be a non-profit business.

:lol:

You just made my day!

And are there taste particularities inherent to each region?

ABSOLUTELY. There are volumes of material on this subject compiled by much more knowlegable aficionados than I, but here's my over-simplified take:

Lowlands are lightly smoked/peated, light malt whiskies and most end up in blends.
Highlands are moderately malted and lightly smoked/peated.
Speyside (a small area located in the Highlands) has by far the highest concentration of distilleries in Scotland. Their whiskies are moderately malted and run the gammut in levels of smoke but all share a familiar profile, some claim that it's due to the water in this region.
Islay (Eye-luh) whiskies are heavily peated and smoked and very "briny" due to the influence of the sea and it's weather.
Campbeltown is almost like an "Islay light". Very peaty and smoky with little brininess (is that a word?)
Island whiskies from the north have a lot of the "briny" influence from the sea, tend to be fairly heavily malted, but generally light on smoke.

Please note - ALL of this is my uneducated, naive, and simple opinion. I'm fairly certain that keener aficionados will take offense to my tasting notes and poor generalization of regional qualities, and for this I appologize for my ignorance.

Last edited:
what does 'briny' means?

You know when you visit a sea port on a cool, damp morning? The smell and taste of the air has this salty, heavy, slightly musty distinctivness to it? That's what I meant by briny - flavors imparted directly from the sea - like how you can taste the sea and all of it's qualities when you eat a fresh oyster.

The Tasting is a good Idea, I'll look around to see if I can find any,
Thanks

They can actually be quite fun. I have one for Glenrothes tomorrow night. Sometimes they're just a couple glasses of scotch, sometimes you have as much as you want and come home with a 12 pack of glasses. Thanks Glenmorangie!

Luc

Staff member
I got a bottle of Ardbeg today, will try tonight... 10yo I think...

ABSOLUTELY. There are volumes of material on this subject compiled by much more knowlegable aficionados than I, but here's my over-simplified take:

Lowlands are lightly smoked/peated, light malt whiskies and most end up in blends.
Speyside (a small area located in the Highlands) has by far the highest concentration of distilleries in Scotland. Their whiskies are moderately malted and run the gammut in levels of smoke but all share a familiar profile, some claim that it's due to the water in this region.
Islay (Eye-luh) whiskies are heavily peated and smoked and very "briny" due to the influence of the sea and it's weather.
Campbeltown is almost like an "Islay light". Very peaty and smoky with little brininess (is that a word?)
Island whiskies from the north have a lot of the "briny" influence from the sea, tend to be fairly heavily malted, but generally light on smoke.

Please note - ALL of this is my uneducated, naive, and simple opinion. I'm fairly certain that keener aficionados will take offense to my tasting notes and poor generalization of regional qualities, and for this I appologize for my ignorance.

Great summary!

This is indeed a good summary, don't apologize.

I could expound on many exceptions, but it would be a challenge to be more concise and helpful for someone to get started in understanding the regions.

I am reminded of the saying from my childhood - that we changed a bit - "I before E, except for exceptions."

Roger

Top Bottom