What's new

Scotch start

Hello,

I'm a total newb in Scotch, I just know I like it. So I've decided to buy myself a bottle of scotch. I occasionally drink scotch (on rocks or with soda) in bars and I told myself "why not buy myself a Bottle of scotch".

At the store, I found the answer to my question, and that answer is: "Because there's way too much choice and I don't have a clue what to buy".

So, I limited my budget between 40$ and 50$ (Can), and here are my choices, only based on price. There are single malts and blended scotch in there:

EDIT: some whisky's here are irish and not scotish, my bad

Jameson 1780 Old Special Reserve
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Redbreast 12
Bushmills Malt 10
The Tyrconnell Single Malt
Chivas Regal 12
Aberlour 10
Glenlivet 12
Glenfiddich 12
Isle of Jura
Arran malt 10
Speyside 12
Auchentoshan 10
Balvenie founder's 10

So I know it will depend on each one taste. But are there some of these scotchs that are a no-no? Are some of these a 'get it ASAP'?

And Is there a difference in taste between a single malt and a blend?

I'm kind of lost here.
I ear all the time about glenlivet and glenfiddich and of course johnnie walker. I almost bought one of the three (on a self Rock-Paper-Scissors game (Glenlivet won)) but I thought about asking the question here and see what I got.

Here are the scotch I can get between 50 and 60$. If there is any of these scotch that is way better than the 40-50 range, I'd like to know ( I don't want to pay more than 50, but if any of these is way way way better, I might consider buying it):

The Dalmore 12
Glendronach original 12
Bowmore Islay 12
speyburn 12
glengoyne 10
Glenlivet 15
highland park 12
Johnnie walker green label
Macallan fine oak 10
ancnoc 12
Glenfarclas 12

Thanks to anyone who answers

Last edited:
Go with Glenlivet 12 or Highland Park 12

+1. I'm far from a scotch expert, but those seem to be the most recommended entry single malts. I'm currently still enjoying the HP 12 that was the spirit of the month here a while back. It's the kind of stuff that will make a bourbon guy reconsider scotch.:drool:

I'm a big fan of most anything from The Glenlivet and The Macallan. Both are fairly mild, but complex enough to keep me coming back. Both are easy to find and fairly inexpensive.

I've noticed in your list that you've included several Irish whiskies. Keep in mind that these are not Scotches (Jameson, Bushmills, Redbreast). That'd be a little akin to lumping Candian whiskies when talking about Bourbons.

Next, you've indicated two different major styles: blended (Johnny Walker, Chivas) vs. single malts.

I suggest that when you are first learning about Scotch, you focus more on region (that seems to play a major role in the style) than you concern yourself about brands. For example, a Highland is very different from an Islay. Speyside, an area within the Highlands, is where the majority of single malt distillers are located, and these are the most prevalent labels on your local liquor store shelves.

I suggest that you try a very approachable blend (perfect for over rocks or mixed with soda) and branch out into single malts with a single rock or just a small splash of water when you're feeling adventurous. Drinking neat, or with a splash, you will notice the differences between labels. As long as you're heavily mixing or diluting it, I think that subtle nuances between different labels will be "lost in the translation".

I've noticed in your list that you've included several Irish whiskies. Keep in mind that these are not Scotches (Jameson, Bushmills, Redbreast). That'd be a little akin to lumping Candian whiskies when talking about Bourbons.

Next, you've indicated two different major styles: blended (Johnny Walker, Chivas) vs. single malts.

I suggest that when you are first learning about Scotch, you focus more on region (that seems to play a major role in the style) than you concern yourself about brands. For example, a Highland is very different from an Islay. Speyside, an area within the Highlands, is where the majority of single malt distillers are located, and these are the most prevalent labels on your local liquor store shelves.

I suggest that you try a very approachable blend (perfect for over rocks or mixed with soda) and branch out into single malts with a single rock or just a small splash of water when you're feeling adventurous. Drinking neat, or with a splash, you will notice the differences between labels. As long as you're heavily mixing or diluting it, I think that subtle nuances between different labels will be "lost in the translation".

So what would be a "very approachable blend"? Do you mean approachable as in lower price or as in easier taste (I would think you are talking about the seconde proposition, but just to be sure)?

Thanks for your detailed answer

Last edited:
So what would be a "very approachable blend"? Do you mean approachable as in lower price or as in easier taste (I would think you are talking about the seconde proposition, but just to be sure)?

I meant "very approachable" based on taste. Generally speaking, by nature, all blends are more "approachable" than single malts because the blending subdues a lot of the stronger flavors associated with a single whisky; much like the way a blended red wine (claret, Bordeaux, etc.) is more "toned down" than wines produced from a single grape (Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, etc.).

Any one of the highly popular blends are great in this regard (Johnny Walker Black, Dewars, etc.) and they are generally priced much lower than single malts ($30 instead of $60). For a good, repectable blend, I prefer Dewars' White Label. Like all blends, it is comprised of many (sometimes 20 or more) different whiskies to get the taste the master distiller is looking for. These blends are high quality and very consistent from year to year, across bottlings.

Single malts, on the other hand, require much more attention and precise production methods to achieve consistent taste/flavors between bottlings and therefore a much higher cost.

Like wine, subtle nuances between labels are very intriguing and profound, but you also run a much higher risk of stumbling onto a particular label's flavor profile that you don't particularly like.

Learning and enjoying blends will develop your Scotch appreciation to a point, over time, when you will be able to identify and appreciate the more single-flavored single malts. Since you are just starting out, I suggest to have a bottle of blend at home to enjoy, then experiment with different single malts when you are at a bar with a decent selection. Buying a single glass of a whisky that you end up not liking is much less expensive than buying an entire bottle. When you find one in a bar you like, buy an entire bottle to keep at home

The Dalmore's very nice- sweet and mellow, not too complex or challenging but with depth and warmth. I like to come back to it when my palate's tired.

Three more brands to add to your list are Oban, Talisker and Laphroaig, all should fall within your price range, or just slightly above it.

Myself, I drink Johnnie Walker Black Label on the rocks ... mainly because its the best brand available at my favorite nightclub. When I go out, I'm there to socialize and dance, not so much for drinking.

When I want to drink for the sake of drinking, then a Single Malt is the way to go. The three brands listed above are my all-time favorites, if those are not available, then Glenlivet or Macallan are good runners up.

I just bought my first ever bottle of Scotch last weekend. After some research I went with the Highland Park 12 and haven't been disappointed.

Now what to get next .... :biggrin:

The Highland Park is a good one and at the same end of the spectrum as The Dalmore, which is slightly sweeter and more buttery still. Next, I'd go into a bar and try something from the other end of the spectrum, just in a shot, to see if you like it....Talisker's pretty good with a little peat in it, not so much sweetness/oak and Laphroig's even more peaty. If you want something very complex, just to waken up your taste-buds to the possibilities, I'd get a shot/miniature of The Lagavulin 16 y.o. which I suggest you take your time with and really concentrate on

Last edited:
I would pass on the Johnny Walker Green. I like everything that goes into the blend, but not the result.

There are a lot of other Scotch threads from over time on B&B. You might want to have a look at them. Johnny Walker Black is an easy start. Highland Park, too. Lots of folks like Glenlivet. Not me so much. Have fun!

Three more brands to add to your list are Oban, Talisker and Laphroaig, all should fall within your price range, or just slightly above it.

Myself, I drink Johnnie Walker Black Label on the rocks ... mainly because its the best brand available at my favorite nightclub. When I go out, I'm there to socialize and dance, not so much for drinking.

When I want to drink for the sake of drinking, then a Single Malt is the way to go. The three brands listed above are my all-time favorites, if those are not available, then Glenlivet or Macallan are good runners up.

Well, Oban (double aging, whatever that means, is the only kind of Oban available) is 114$, Talisker 69$ and Laphroaig not available in Quebec, As far as I know, so out of my price range or out of my geographical range

What's wrong with JW green label?

Last edited:
The Highland Park is a good one and at the same end of the spectrum as The Dalmore, which is slightly sweeter and more buttery still. Next, I'd go into a bar and try something from the other end of the spectrum, just in a shot, to see if you like it....Talisker's pretty good with a little peat in it, not so much sweetness/oak and Laphroig's even more peaty. If you want something very complex, just to waken up your taste-buds to the possibilities, I'd get a shot/miniature of The Lagavulin 16 y.o. which I suggest you take your time with and really concentrate on

Should I add a dash of water in the lagavulin? I heard it could enhance aromas and taste.

Is the JW Red really inferior to the black label?
I just tasted it (red) on rocks (2) and I quite like it, but next time it'll be only one rock, two is too much water and cold.

It has a little smoky flavor that I like and it's the best I can do as to describe the taste. The scotch is made of Barley?

I wonder, what does a scotch tasting notes should look like?

Last edited:
Top Bottom