What's new

Schone O.C. Razor

My problem is I've been eyeing a Fatip to compare to my Schone! :001_smile Of course, I also want to try an Old Type or New Improved, but that's another story.

Now that they have a newer mold, with a wider cap, curious how it compares. - My Schone is probably the smoothest and closest shaving OC I have, edging out the Gillette New SC/LC. In comparison, the Pearl head I have is like shaving with a cheese grater.

Thanks to this thread I pulled out my Schone for today's shave.
I had purchased it several months ago but have never used it. I wasn't thrilled with the handle.
Excellent shave today! It was super smooth and deceptively mild feeling.
I was surprised by the more than usual alum sting. Did not expect it.
I wish I had used it several months ago. It would have saved me some money.
I have a Piccolo coming from another member so it should be an interesting comparison.

The Schone, presumably the Fatip, likes a VERY light touch, being an open-comb design. Without a full comb, you don't have the safety bar do relieve, absorb, or protect you as much from any excess pressure being applied. I've found that some blades agree with it much more than others, on the plus list is the Pol-Silver, Rapira Plat Lux, and especially the Gillette Nacet blades, which make for a more comfortable & smoother shave. Can't remember if I loaded up the one GSB I had, prior to that blade being done. I currently have a Feather in mine, which absolutely gives a bit more blade feel and is less forgiving. (I've been using my Ikon X3 Slant, for a good comparison to the Fine Slant on the way to me, via the generous pass-around, and the Schone has sat this week on the sidelines). I thought I knew what light touch was, until I started down the Open Comb rabbit hole, it gave a whole new meaning to light tough and no pressure.

You may find that alum feedback isn't there with a different blade, or even lighter touch.

A solid bar razor offers no more protection than an open comb razor. It all depends on how much blade is exposed. That's why we have very mild open comb razors such as the Merkur 41c and the Parker 26r and we have more aggressive solid bar razors such as the Parker 94r and the Parker 97r.
The comb still holds the blade away from direct contact with your skin.

Last edited:
I got my new Schone in today and it is flawless. Blade alinement is perfect and the finish is perfect. It has some nice heft to it. The shave was great. The handle was not slippery at all. The Schone has less blade feel than the Fatip Grande I have. They are both equally smooth.
My next shave I may do a side-by-side between the Schone and the Fatip. I am very happy with this razor.

Schone_.JPG

I got my new Schone in today and it is flawless. Blade alinement is perfect and the finish is perfect. It has some nice heft to it. The shave was great. The handle was not slippery at all. The Schone has less blade feel than the Fatip Grande I have. They are both equally smooth.
My next shave I may do a side-by-side between the Schone and the Fatip. I am very happy with this razor.

View attachment 844522

That is a really good-looking razor.

Does the bottom part screw-off? With the razor head removed, can you see straight through the handle?

It has been several hours since my shave with the Schone and now I am feeling some prickly irritation on my neck. It's bothering me enough that I had to put some Nivea Post Shave Balm on my neck. I'm not sure why this happen. I used a brand new Astra blade and a D.R. Harris soap stick.
I'll see what happens next shave. I'm really puzzled by this.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Mine Schone is tied with my Hoffritz as my favorite OC Razor. It’s a great one. I also have a Piccolo but the slightly different teeth in the Schone make it feel ever so slightly nicer to my face.

Top Bottom