What's new

Schone O.C. Razor

I received the gold Schone yesterday from amazon and luckily it was the original version, Im very happy with the finish on it. I just used it today with a fresh Voskhod on two days long stubble and i must say i am extremely impressed with it, it actually is smoother than my Fatip Grande V2 and delivers the same great results probably a bit better even. Did a WTG/XTG/ATG shave and got an easy BBS no touch ups needed, zero weepers. Finished up with Son of Zeus splash and Terre d'Hermes EDT. It delivered an absolute perfect and easy shave. This is probably my all time favorite razor now, but i still need to test it with some of my other blades. Will certainly have to buy a second one as a backup just in case.

I also noticed other than the different OC teeth, the Schone base plate looks ever so slightly thicker, with thicker drooped ends.

IMAG2913.jpg IMAG2916_1.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
You can order on line from Walmart for 22 dollars with the old style handle sold and shipped by Schone and not Alrossa. Though I do love the new handle and 24 dollars is not bad. Right now I can't justify buying another right now, but I'm sure I probably will. The new handle is cool. :001_smile

You can order on line from Walmart for 22 dollars with the old style handle sold and shipped by Schone and not Alrossa. Though I do love the new handle and 24 dollars is not bad. Right now I can't justify buying another right now, but I'm sure I probably will. The new handle is cool. :001_smile

I agree. And this is after I made a big fuss about getting the older version. I can't justify another acquisition right now but I could see buying the new one to use as a travel razor. :001_rolle I wonder if the quality of the plating is better for the new version versus what we have seen on the old one.....

I wonder if the quality of the plating is better for the new version versus what we have seen on the old one.....
I'm sure the photo's I posted of the new replacement razor I received show it or not completely, but I can tell you the plating is flawless on it. It is as good if not better than my Piccolo and that one was flawless also. I shaved with mine again this morning and as previously reported, was an outstanding shave to be had all around. The way this razor shaves and looks, it surprises me its not in the $50+ part of the market!! I will add that though the Schone is smoother in-shave the post-shave feel is almost identical to the Piccolo.

I'm so glad I gave in to my RAD and bought this razor...:a5:

Bite your tongue young man. I'd like to see the price that I pay for it when I can justify it be the same as what you paid.
I paid the exact same price as you did for the one you have since we both got them from Alrossa, I'm sure... I see its still listed for $19.95 on the Alrossa site but Amazon has it listed for $24.95 which is still sold and shipped by Alrossa. They are charging the extra for selling through Amazon which makes sense. Most vendors that sell on eBay and Amazon mark up their products to cover fees and such.

I paid the exact same price as you did for the one you have since we both got them from Alrossa, I'm sure... I see its still listed for $19.95 on the Alrossa site but Amazon has it listed for $24.95 which is still sold and shipped by Alrossa. They are charging the extra for selling through Amazon which makes sense. Most vendors that sell on eBay and Amazon mark up their products to cover fees and such.

I was just joking around. But if I see them selling for $50+, that's on you.

I bought mine on Amazon (Alrossa was the seller) when they were at the $22.95 price. I'm a Prime member, so I didn't pay shipping. I also noticed that the new ones are a couple of bucks more. I'm kind of tempted to buy another one, just to check out the plating, as the pictures seem to indicate that they've raised the quality of their finishing work.

As long as SOME PEOPLE keep it down, maybe these will live on as an inexpensive hidden gem.

I bought mine on Amazon (Alrossa was the seller) when they were at the $22.95 price. I'm a Prime member, so I didn't pay shipping. I also noticed that the new ones are a couple of bucks more. I'm kind of tempted to buy another one, just to check out the plating, as the pictures seem to indicate that they've raised the quality of their finishing work.

As long as SOME PEOPLE keep it down, maybe these will live on as an inexpensive hidden gem.

Not another word from me...

I have sensitive skin and a thick straight beard. The grains are well-defined. The direction of hair growth must be looked at. It takes about 3 days for the grains to be extremely visible/ready-to-chop after a with-the-grain shave only.

After having tried the Merkur 1904/41C OC, Schöne Gold OC, and the Muhle R41:
The Schöne Gold OC is somewhere between the Merkur 1904/41C OC and the Muhle R41 in aggressiveness.
Maybe because of the way I angle razors, I hate scraping and blade flex.
I like strong stable blades at a naturally good angle. Hence, my preference for the Merkur 1904/41C OC.
The Schöne Gold OC allows more flex and scraping than the Merkur 1904/41C OC.
And, of course, the Muhle R41 can be the king of scraping and blade flex if used hastily.

Of course, take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt. My beard, skin, and technique may be extremely unique.

So, for now, the Merkur 1904/41C OC and the Merkur 34C get my votes. The Muhle R41 will be reserved for a day when I have time, patience, and energy. The Schöne Gold OC will look pretty or be just below the Muhle R41 in preference or order-of-use.

I've recently become interested in open comb razors and have been very pleased with my RazoRock Old Type. It gives me a very close and very comfortable shave every time, but with all the talk about the Schone, I figured I just had to try one. My gold plated Schone arrived today from Amazon. The plating is good, but it's not as good as my Merkur, Edwin Jagger, or even Razorock razors. From a distance of 12 inches or more it looks great. Up close the surface is just not perfectly even. The real test comes tomorrow when I try it out for a shave.

I decided to try something different this week and put my Schone and Piccolo to a test. I normally shave daily because I prefer the clean look and feel. I did the test on 3 days growth each, to see how efficient the shaves would be and which one was closer. I can now say the Shone pretty much won hands down in not only the shave itself and how the ATG pass removed almost all my growth at once but the post shave feel was much better as well. The ease and comfort of the handle difference to me is still very noticeable and find when doing a rinse/shake with the Piccolo, it just wants to slip out of my hand whereas I have absolutely no problem with the new handle of the Schone. This has led me to contact Alrossa to see if I could get another handle like the new type that Schone is providing now to use on my Piccolo. They don't have one in stock right now because they just came out with them but they should have a few available in a month or so. I just love the feel of the new handle so much... I'd have to say that the Schone is one of the better pick ups I've made so far in wet shaving!!

I am using my Schone more & more with the original handle. It will not slip with a wet hand & soap on your hand means you are asking for it. :)

Top Bottom