What's new

Schick Proline AC type blades

I just tried my first Schick AC blade in my Alumnigoose Mongoose razor and was really impressed with the smoothness. Feather blades are just too aggressive for me and my beard is soft enough so that these blades cut pretty well. For me, smoothness usually trumps efficiency, and I'm glad I got tips as to where to pick up more of these online.

Shave #5 on the Proline P in a Kai Captain tonight:
FC595DAB-FC3F-4F78-A8AF-D3DBB2024233.jpeg

Clearly the Kai Captain is where this blade belongs.
A simply superb shave!

i dont know what that oil like substance is on the blades...the prolines had this oil but kai does not.

personally, i wiped the grayish oily stuff off before i used the blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You don't have to buy Prolines from Japan. They can be purchased at Bullgoose.

Various vendors have them. Online Japanese vendors. Ebay vendors. A place in NYC. Etc. Prices vary a lot though. I bought 300 from an ebay vendor and they were shipped from Japan. Took maybe two or so weeks, but it was an easy transaction, and the price was good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I just got some from Bull Goose, and while they were probably more than buying them from Japan, the shipping was the fastest I’ve ever had. Ordered them on Saturday and they were here Monday (Cali to East Coast).

I’m up to shave #6 on the Proline blade now and it’s still performing excellently.
How many shaves are you guys pushing this blade to?

I tried two of these thanks to a PIF. I thought the initial smoothness was awesome and it beat out my Feather Pro in both my ATT SE1 and Feather AC. However, they both fell short on longevity--I only got 7 shaves on each before they started to get uncomfortable, compared to the 15 shaves I get from the Feather Pro before I feel like it needs to be changed. I loved how smooth the Schicks were, but at half the number of shaves for me, I'll stick with the Feather.

I haven't truly tested the longevity of the blade yet. I gone to 12 or so face shaves, but usually long for a fresh one after about 7. Face and head shave, I usually bin after 4, covering a lot more real estate. @ $.37 per blade for the best and sharpest AC blade, I wouldn't have a problem tossing them after one shave.

Also, I flip the blade over after every shave, it stays smooth until I toss it, it just takes more strokes to get BBS results. When it takes too much time to BBS my face and head, I toss the blade.

Last edited:
I have never pushed one to the limit but I have gotten 17 shaves from a Feather Pro. I'll have to try and go the distance with a Proline in my brass General.

I have used 3 Proline blades to date. The 1st one I changed @ 15, 2nd @ 20, and 3rd is 3 shaves in right now. The funny thing about the 2nd blade was shaves 19 and 20 were still so smooth I actually contemplated going longer!! I don't think I ever had a Feather or Kai make it past 15 shaves though which is still very respectable...

Shave #7 on the Proline blade in this aluminium General:
6A20ACFE-A060-4AC9-B59D-03C3D21F3F88.jpeg

The blade is still superb and I’m really impressed with the General.

But can anybody identify this weird chunky handle?

Shave #8 and that blade is still going very strong:
7024B6F7-83E4-4D39-A50B-281DB7EFDBE9.jpeg

The General loves the Proline and clearly the Proline loves the General too!

The Feather pro is .254mm
Pro Super is .31mm

My calipers doesn't measure the third digit in mm, so the the Proline is between .25-.26mm, it read .25

I'll have to measure the Kai Mild blade.

full

Hi, Anthony. Did you ever get/find thickness and/or width measurements for the KAI Mild or Schick Proline? I cannot find anywhere, and I don't have the tools to measure.

Thanks!

Top Bottom