What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 12/14 – 12/20 The 1934 Gillette Aristocrat

Ray,

Thanks for the enthusiastic and very informative post. I was fortunate enough to acquire an early model - rivets showing - of this razor, with the upscale metal case via eBay. I don't use it often but it is a special razor - one that I'd never part with.

Besides its elegant looks, it really does shave nicely. I'd agree with your medium aggressiveness comment: kind of like a NEW compared to a New Improved.

jim

Ray, Thank you for the excellent article. The technical part about the early and late versions (rivets vs no rivets showing) was a great ID tip. I will have to give one of mine a shave soon!

-Steve

Since these are guaranteed for life, has anyone tried contacting Gillette with a gummed up one? At least they should re-reimburse you for the cost of a new one, in today's equivalent of whatever it cost back in the day... :biggrin:

Great stuff, excellent reading. I'm looking at what is being called a Gillette "Aristocrat" on ebay. The only similarity to the one you show here is that it is gold. The handle is different and the comb has small teeth placed close together like a later model. The seller says they researched it and the info they got indicated it was manufactured between 46 and 48. could this be a later model "Aristocrat" or just a later model gold plated standard shaver?

Last edited:
Great stuff, excellent reading. I'm looking at what is being called a Gillette "Aristocrat" on ebay. The only similarity to the one you show here is that it is gold. The handle is different and the comb has small teeth placed close together like a later model. The seller says they researched it and the info they got indicated it was manufactured between 46 and 48. could this be a later model "Aristocrat" or just a later model gold plated standard shaver? If interested in looking ebay #0000000quote]

this auction is for a later model aristocrat

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff, excellent reading. I'm looking at what is being called a Gillette "Aristocrat" on ebay. The only similarity to the one you show here is that it is gold. The handle is different and the comb has small teeth placed close together like a later model. The seller says they researched it and the info they got indicated it was manufactured between 46 and 48. could this be a later model "Aristocrat" or just a later model gold plated standard shaver? If interested in looking ebay #0000000000.

FYI according to the Terms of Use members are not allowed to link or post direct information regarding an active auction on eBay or other live auctions. Just wanted to let you know as I'm sure you weren't intending to bend the rules. Good luck on your razor hunt.

Thanks for the info, you can be sure it won't happen again. You know what they "Always read the instructions first"!

Thank you, Ray. This is excellent info.
I have one of those, which I never use before.
What is your opinion about Senator? I have this one as well.
I am going to use it today.

Since I originally commented on this thread I have acquired one of these. I'd say mine is in Excellent condition, case and blade case included. I wouldn't call it Mint because there are signs that it had been used, but overall it really is a fantastic looking razor.

I have a question regarding these bad boys...the blade box shown in the gold cased version has the same Greek key pattern as the case, yet I have seen other pics of the same set with the standard "Zippo" looking box, like the one posted in the first picture. I've also seen the Greek key blade box in other sets from this period, like the Sheraton and Senators...was the gold cased Aristocrat set sold with different versions of the blade box?

Also...what was the original price for the gold cased version? I see in the Wiki they state that the regular version sold for $4.00 in 1934 (approx. $65.00 in today's dough, factoring in inflation), but anyone know what the "fancy" version went for?

And yes, I LOVE the shave I get with my '34, courtesy of highball. This one is in really good condition, but I've since acquired an amazing, almost minty complete gold cased set (in transit as I type this...cant't WAIT!), so I'm keeping Mike's as a shaver and will probably have it replated in nickel :)eek:...).

Last edited:
Hi welcome to B&B! I'm not an expert on Aristocrats but it looks like you have a British Aristocrat #66? An excellent looking piece that is different from the OPs. I'm sure one of the other members who knows more about British Aristocrats can tell you exactly which model it is. But it is a very nice razor and highly desirable!

i found a razor and bought it on the spot, it looks so much like the one in the OP but it's not :/ any ideas ?

I am lucky enough to have a 1934 Aristocrat in near mint condition. I'm always leery of gold plated razors. I am afraid the lacquer and or the gold plating will be harmed. Of all my razors, this one owns me.

full

Top Bottom