What's new

Fans Of the Ranger Tech- FORT

Welcome to the FORT- Fans of Ranger Tech

A Ranger Tech recently came into my possession and to say I’m a fan would be an understatement.

This razor is appealing on a few levels.

First, the shave is great and would rival the shave I get from the later Red Tip Super Speed. It is very effective without aggression.

Second is its breakthrough design. This is one of the first (along with the Aristocrat and the Milord ) to use a solid guard bar as well as twist to open doors.

Third is its rarity. Although not extremely rare it is at least an uncommon razor. From what I understand it was only made in the second half of 1941 and Gillette ceased production after the US entered WWII in December of that year. Gillette was contracted to make products for the war effort and really did not resume consumer products until 1946. In 1947 the Ranger Tech became the Super Speed with the advent of the notched center bar. The Super Speed razor remained a staple in the Gillette lineup until 1988.

Vintage Gillettes appeal to me for a few reasons and one of those is the stories they tell. The Ranger Tech is second, in this regard, only to my heritage 1958 Executive that I believe was my fathers.

To identify a Ranger Tech, it will have:
  • A smooth collar above knob with PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE embossed there. I believe this alone would qualify it as a 1941.
  • No crease running lengthwise in baseplate through the lather slots.
  • No verbiage stamped on the upper surface of the base plated.
  • No end caps.
If any of the above is incorrect or if anything needs to be added please let us all know.

I know there are other Gillette appreciation groups at B&B, but I don’t think there is one specifically for the Ranger Tech.
IMG_9005 2.jpeg

If you own a Ranger Tech, want to own a Ranger Tech, or just appreciate the significance on this model, you are welcome here. Pics and comments are encouraged. 1941 Milords are welcome as well.

Attachments

• IMG_9004 2.jpeg
    IMG_9004 2.jpeg
    896.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thanks for setting this up Dirty! Long overdue to see a club for this iconic beauty. Also probably the coolest named Gillette razor ever. It's got a real purposeful ring to it!

Great intro and overview provided!

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago. Took a few weeks to ship but she's fantastic. Will post up pics and a first shave impression tomorrow. The Ranger is as rare as hen's teeth in the UK.

From what I understand it was only made in the second half of 1941 and Gillette ceased production after the US entered WWII in December of that year.
I've seen references to it being introduced by Gillette for the 1941 "Holiday season" so I'm guessing it's production was even shorter than that. Maybe the last quarter of 1941?

Last edited:
I recently purchased a cased 1941 Ranger that looks in good shape. I'll post pictures once I have it, which should be soon. I have a tune-up and replating in Rhodium paid for at Razor Emporium, but I have several vintage Gillette razors heading my way, and I am waiting to see them in person to decide which will get the complete spa treatment. It is cool we have a thread to share pictures and experiences of the fabulous Ranger!

Here is a picture from the listing.
Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 8.27.25 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for joining in.
Yes, I didn't intend to exclude the 46 RT since the Super Speed name didn't appear until 1947 with the advent of the notched center bar. The 1947 received the creased baseplate and the smooth collar was now knurled.

I have a cased 46 Milord. The smooth collar near the knob remains but the patent info moves to the base plate top. And of course the end caps were added.

I also have a 1947 Super Speed in an incomplete case. All great razors.

The creased base plate is interesting to me. What is its purpose and how is it an improvement.

I had some issues with my 1941 with bad stampings (protruding up) at the end of the lather slots which caused the blade to be clamped poorly. It shave poorly when I first got it but after doing a little work on it, the shave improved a great deal. Oddly, it had been that way since new. The creases go straight through this area and may have resolved any issues like the one I had.

According to mr-razors wonderful site, there is evidence that a 1940 Milord exists. Did the RT get introduced at the same time or was the Milord the first.
A small add is attached to his listing but I don't see a date on the ad. Maybe the blades in the pic can be dated to 1940 but that may not be conclusive.

Dirty

I can't wait to see that razor in Rhodium RRGGMM.

1706884214255.png

My Ranger arrived, and I couldn't be happier! The razor is in better condition than the extreme close-up pictures portray and is mechanically flawless. I will shave with it once before I send it off for the full treatment. The case is in good shape, and the included blade box is unopened. This could easily go into service as-is, but I already paid for the rhodium replating and a tune-up. The razor is special enough that I want to give it the treatment it deserves.
IMG_4587.jpg
IMG_4588.jpg
IMG_4589.jpg
IMG_4590.jpg
IMG_4591.jpg
IMG_4592.jpg
IMG_4593.jpg

Last edited:
It was a fantastic first shave with the Ranger! My third shave with a Feather blade, where I usually am two-and-done. The blade worked fine, and I achieved a 9/10 BBS shave that exceeded my expectations. The Ranger had great auditory feedback and was efficient and smooth. I'll probably wait until Monday to ship it out for the rhodium and tune-up so I can use it again. It is mechanically perfect, and in my hand, it looks surprisingly clean and in good shape. Since the seller included information about recovering a blade from within from 1957, there is a strong chance that this is the last time it has been used. Either way, it was a fantastic shave. Recently, I shaved with my Fatboy on #7, and I would say the Ranger is at least as efficient, if not more, and just as smooth, if not smoother.
IMG_4594.jpg

The creased base plate is interesting to me. What is its purpose and how is it an improvement.
When you take a close look at one it seems to change the position of the safety bar slightly. The crease just looks like the result of a stamping process (I’m assuming). Seems to be what they thought would be the better shave at the time. They were trying to cater to the majority with one razor, probably figured out a lot of people didn’t like the change, then decided to do 3 different levels a few years later and an adjustable not soon after.

The un-notched safety bars are nice because they always seem to have a better fit and finish then the later notched variants. Even in the 47s where they have the creased safety bar (although my experience there is only a USA Aristocrat Junior).

Last edited:
That RT is looking good RRGGMM. The case is more rare than the razor I'll bet, especially in that condition.
I like your comment about the blade. I've found razors with older blades that have a date code. I like thinking that that was aproximatley the last time it was used. Can't prove it but until somebody proves I'm wrong.....

I have a minty 1922 Bostonian set with a blade bank that has around 6 blades from 1921. That may support the argument that the razor wasn't used much since new. Intriguing.

Dirty

I need some help guys.

I was thrilled to find this Ranger Tech recently at an antique store UNTIL I got it home and shaved with it.

I had a couple of days growth, nothing crazy, but when I made my first few strokes it seemed like the razor just basically dragged right over my whiskers without cutting much at all, like it had no blade gap at all. I ended up having to switch mid-shave to my ball-end Tech (which we all know is quite a mild razor) to finish the job, which it did with ease.

I don't think this is normal behavior for a Ranger Tech so I think mine might be defective? Maybe I'm screwing it down too tight? Here is a picture of it with a blade installed. Does the blade gap look normal, or too tight?
IMG_0334.jpg

Interesting. Does the tightening knob have to much play? Dropped knob?
Since we are dealing with such small measurements, I doubt a picture can be good to see if the gaps are wrong. Do you have another similar razor to compare with? Are you using a new blade?

I'm not sure it can be tightened to far but not enough would make it more aggressive not less.

Mine is a good balance of effectiveness and aggression. There is no mistaking that you are cutting whiskers when I use mine but it still gives me enough confidence to move ahead without fear.

I just picked up a 40's super speed and the gaps were crazy all over the place. After disassembly I found that the center bar was not 90 degrees with the stem. I must have been dropped at some point. I got that repaired and then made a few other tweaks and it shaves rather nicely.
I'm not sure what is going on with yours.

Dirty

Interesting. Does the tightening knob have to much play? Dropped knob?
Since we are dealing with such small measurements, I doubt a picture can be good to see if the gaps are wrong. Do you have another similar razor to compare with? Are you using a new blade?

I'm not sure it can be tightened to far but not enough would make it more aggressive not less.

Mine is a good balance of effectiveness and aggression. There is no mistaking that you are cutting whiskers when I use mine but it still gives me enough confidence to move ahead without fear.

I just picked up a 40's super speed and the gaps were crazy all over the place. After disassembly I found that the center bar was not 90 degrees with the stem. I must have been dropped at some point. I got that repaired and then made a few other tweaks and it shaves rather nicely.
I'm not sure what is going on with yours.

Dirty
When I tighten it it feels like it hits a hard stopping point where it wont twist anymore. Not sure if that's normal for Rangers? With my flare tip I feel like it could keep tightening even once it's snug. Not sure if that makes sense.

If it has a "hard stop", I would assume it is not closing all the way but then it would give a very aggressive shave, not what you are describing (to mild).

The "stop" should be determined when the doors have caused the blade to be clamped to the base plate. I don't think you can tighten it any more than that without damaging something.

Dirty

Reactions: IAH
I need some help guys.

I was thrilled to find this Ranger Tech recently at an antique store UNTIL I got it home and shaved with it.

I had a couple of days growth, nothing crazy, but when I made my first few strokes it seemed like the razor just basically dragged right over my whiskers without cutting much at all, like it had no blade gap at all. I ended up having to switch mid-shave to my ball-end Tech (which we all know is quite a mild razor) to finish the job, which it did with ease.

I don't think this is normal behavior for a Ranger Tech so I think mine might be defective? Maybe I'm screwing it down too tight? Here is a picture of it with a blade installed. Does the blade gap look normal, or too tight?
View attachment 1792648
on my examples the “L” shape on the side of the safety bars is more square to the side of the silo doors. Yours looks like the safety bars were pushed down slightly.

The pre date code TTO head styles seem more prone to having bends from my experiences. There is various tutorials to fix it but the “butter knife“ fix may be best. There is a lot of threads here that show photos of the side profile.

Reactions: IAH
on my examples the “L” shape on the side of the safety bars is more square to the side of the silo doors. Yours looks like the safety bars were pushed down slightly.
I notice that.
I think I'll take it to Razor Emporium to see if they can check it out and fix it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I notice that.
I think I'll take it to Razor Emporium to see if they can check it out and fix it.
It is worth getting it checked over. I would have expected that if the razor had been bent in such a way that it would increase the blade gap, and probably therefore make the razor more aggressive, which is contrary to what you have experienced.

Thanks everyone for joining in.
Yes, I didn't intend to exclude the 46 RT since the Super Speed name didn't appear until 1947 with the advent of the notched center bar. The 1947 received the creased baseplate and the smooth collar was now knurled.

I have a cased 46 Milord. The smooth collar near the knob remains but the patent info moves to the base plate top. And of course the end caps were added.

I also have a 1947 Super Speed in an incomplete case. All great razors.

I had some issues with my 1941 with bad stampings (protruding up) at the end of the lather slots which caused the blade to be clamped poorly. It shave poorly when I first got it but after doing a little work on it, the shave improved a great deal. Oddly, it had been that way since new. The creases go straight through this area and may have resolved any issues like the one I had.

According to mr-razors wonderful site, there is evidence that a 1940 Milord exists. Did the RT get introduced at the same time or was the Milord the first.
A small add is attached to his listing but I don't see a date on the ad. Maybe the blades in the pic can be dated to 1940 but that may not be conclusive.

Dirty

I can't wait to see that razor in Rhodium RRGGMM.

View attachment 1789835

The original 1947 Super Speed has the same center bar as the Ranger Tech.

The notched center bar didn't begin until July.

From left to right: 1941 Ranger Tech, 1947 Super Speed, 1952 Super Speed

DSCN1560b.jpg

"The original 1947 Super Speed has the same center bar as the Ranger Tech"

That is interesting. I was under the impression that it was called a Super Speed because of the notched center bar which, in conjunction with the dispenser made blade changing Super Fast.

So to be clear the 47 SS was introduced in July of 1947 and previously there was a "no notch" version?

My boxed 47 is notched.

So what do we call an early 47 razor? Super Speed or Ranger Tech/Milord.

Top Bottom