What's new

Safety Razor of the Month: July 2017

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Had a great shave for day one of NEW month. Used my Delta Echo Steampunk Long Comb. A little Sherlock on both ends. And an Astra SP to do the slice and dice. Wonderful shave.

IMG_0519.JPG

Here are my tools for the Month.
From left LC (USA), Red and Black (Canada), Berkshire (USA), LC (Canada), Goodwills, (Canada and USA).
proxy.php

The New Improved. Made in Canada, one gold plate and one silver.
proxy.php

And I found one lonely dirty USA LC with a thin Bar Handle that is soaking right now and will be put to use later this month.
proxy.php

This mornings shave was with Uncle Bob loaded with a Minora. A most fine shave. I'm looking forward to getting used to the NEW's this month. Have a blessed day gentlemen.
proxy.php

image.jpeg
Hello all, some beautiful razors, and awesome set ups.
ROTM First shave.
Gillette New Long Comb
KAI Blade
Proraso Red
Semogue SOC Boar
Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
Pinaud Clubman AS

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I think one of the main reasons I don't is it's just too easy!

oh-behave.jpeg

I'll play. Won't be able to do every day, as I committed to the 7777 challenge, and only have 2 NEW's at the moment. But that's changing as we speak.

View attachment 800796

NEW Deluxe
Nacet Blade
Sudsy Soapery Sage and Lime
Razorock synthetic

Great combo for me.
Excellent work!
Some of my favorite razors. Especially the Deluxe. Here a couple of my nicer ones.
proxy.php

NEW Deluxe President in original silver plate.
proxy.php

Tiffany & Co. NEW LC silver plate head w/ pure sterling handle and case.
proxy.php

NEW SC in nickel.
proxy.php
NEW Deluxe chromium Criterion.
proxy.php

NEW RFB #88 in silver plate.​
Wooooooo! Bringing the beauties out for a stroll, are ya?
Had a great shave for day one of NEW month. Used my Delta Echo Steampunk Long Comb. A little Sherlock on both ends. And an Astra SP to do the slice and dice. Wonderful shave.
Love that orange, very cool color scheme!

View attachment 800829

Here are my tools for the Month.
From left LC (USA), Red and Black (Canada), Berkshire (USA), LC (Canada), Goodwills, (Canada and USA).
proxy.php

The New Improved. Made in Canada, one gold plate and one silver.
proxy.php

And I found one lonely dirty USA LC with a thin Bar Handle that is soaking right now and will be put to use later this month.
proxy.php

This mornings shave was with Uncle Bob loaded with a Minora. A most fine shave. I'm looking forward to getting used to the NEW's this month. Have a blessed day gentlemen.
proxy.php
Looking very good there! May you have had a blessed one too!
View attachment 800925 Hello all, some beautiful razors, and awesome set ups.
ROTM First shave.
Gillette New Long Comb
KAI Blade
Proraso Red
Semogue SOC Boar
Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
Pinaud Clubman AS

Nice shot, JerryLee! Love the outdoor vibe! Give us your thoughts on the LC so far!

Great posts, Gents!
Adam

Thanks Adam, my thoughts on the LC, very smooth, and efficient. Easy to find the right angle . Got a great BBS with almost no irritation, just on spot on my neck. However I always seem to get irritation in that spot. I have feeling this razor will bring many great shaves this month.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Today is not a shaving day. But I thought I would share today's "NEW" activities. I am going to the National Boy Scout Jamboree for two weeks in West Virginia, where I will be working at the shooting range. I leave on the 15th. I camp quite often, and for weeks at a time, but this will provide unique and challenging shaving opportunities. There will be upwards of 30,000 people camping at this jamboree, and amenities will be limited. So I want to make my shaving experience special as well.

Since this is NEW month, I rummaged through my box of "unprocessed" razors to see what NEWs I might have hiding in there. I am an avid flea market razor hunter, so I have a couple of dozen razors that have not made it through the cleaning and categorizing process. Of course I found two NEW LCs in there that were suitable candidates for the jamboree. I picked the better one, and began to prep it for a few test shaves before I depart.

I am very happy with how this one came out. My only regret is that I did not take a "before" photo. A couple of hours in hot water and Dawn, followed by a rigorous scrubbing. Then about 30 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner, interspersed with more scrubbing. It came out great.

I will be housing this razor in a "Pelican Mints" altoids style tin. I printed the inner part on my 3D printer. It fits the NEW perfectly. I will give it a test shave tomorrow. If it pleases me, it will be my Jambo razor. I cant see why it wouldnt.

Razor-NEW LC- Jambo 01.jpg

Razor-NEW LC- Jambo 02.jpg

Razor-NEW LC- Jambo 03.jpg

Razor-NEW LC- Jambo 04.jpg

Today is not a shaving day. But I thought I would share today's "NEW" activities. I am going to the National Boy Scout Jamboree for two weeks in West Virginia, where I will be working at the shooting range. I leave on the 15th. I camp quite often, and for weeks at a time, but this will provide unique and challenging shaving opportunities. There will be upwards of 30,000 people camping at this jamboree, and amenities will be limited. So I want to make my shaving experience special as well.

Since this is NEW month, I rummaged through my box of "unprocessed" razors to see what NEWs I might have hiding in there. I am an avid flea market razor hunter, so I have a couple of dozen razors that have not made it through the cleaning and categorizing process. Of course I found two NEW LCs in there that were suitable candidates for the jamboree. I picked the better one, and began to prep it for a few test shaves before I depart.

I am very happy with how this one came out. My only regret is that I did not take a "before" photo. A couple of hours in hot water and Dawn, followed by a rigorous scrubbing. Then about 30 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner, interspersed with more scrubbing. It came out great.

I will be housing this razor in a "Pelican Mints" altoids style tin. I printed the inner part on my 3D printer. It fits the NEW perfectly. I will give it a test shave tomorrow. If it pleases me, it will be my Jambo razor. I cant see why it wouldnt.

View attachment 801015

View attachment 801016

View attachment 801017

View attachment 801018
Nice job on the cleanup and the case, it looks like they will serve you well. Have fun at your Jamboree! :thumbup1:

I used my Short Comb with the Schick blade again. This time with Mama Bear's Lemon Ice and Avon Tai Winds.
DSCF0303.JPG

I think I'll try to join in this month, even though I'm really enjoying the Senator and the Goodwill #164 that I found last week.

I think I have just about every combination covered here. I have Long Combs, Short Combs, Common Bar, Short Common Bar, Thin Common Bar, and Ball End handles. I'm not sure how acceptable these are but I also have a Goodwill #160, Goodwill Special #175, and a NEW Improved.

I think I will start it off with the Tuckaway, it has a Shot Comb head and Short Common Bar handle.

2017-07-02 11.56.17.jpg

image.jpeg
SOTM July 2
Gillette New LC
Dorco Prime Blade
Cremo Cooling
B&B 10th Anniversary Boar
Thayers Cucumber WH
Aqua Velva Blue Ice AS

Great photos and descriptions Gentlemen.
Todays shave was with my saddest NEW. Bent teeth, scratches and not plating, he is just ugly. I call him Scruffy and he is in my rotation of regular used razors. When you use a NEW, looks do not dictate the shave quality. BBS & AGAIG.
proxy.php

I normally shave right before I go to bed, but tonight I couldn't wait. I decided to use the Tuckaway that I found when my wife and I went to Eureka Springs last week. It was a great shave just like I expected it to be.

2017-07-02 16.45.59.jpg

This thread inspired me to repair a two-piece NEW RFB that I bought a year ago for about $8 on eBay. It actually went unsold the first time, and I was the only bidder when the Seller relisted.

All four corner teeth were seriously bent both downwards and inwards.
proxy.php

After a few cycles of annealing, cooling and bending, I got to a point I was happy with. A light shine with some Nevr-Dull and here it is.
proxy.php

I shaved with it today using some RazoRock Mudder Focker and a Wizanet Super Iridium with about 30 shaves on it, and or had no trouble shaving off a 9 day mustache and goatee. Beautifully smooth like my other RFBs.

Wow, you guys all have such nice look NEWs!!!! I feel a little inadequate here... Anyway, the only NEW I have is this long comb I picked up a couple months ago. It's not the right handle, and one of the corner teeth is bent, but it shaves really well, and it was only $3 I think.
I used it this morning with an Israeli Personna Red, Chiseled Face Tradewinds soap, Omega 10049 Boar, and CVS/ViJon Spice aftershave.
IMG_20170430_222552.jpg IMG_20170430_222441.jpg

I saw another one a couple of weeks ago, that had the right handle, but a corner tooth was bent on it, too, and they wanted a lot more money. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open. I'd like nice, unbent specimens of both the LC and SC.

This thread inspired me to repair a two-piece NEW RFB that I bought a year ago for about $8 on eBay. It actually went unsold the first time, and I was the only bidder when the Seller relisted.

All four corner teeth were seriously bent both downwards and inwards.
proxy.php

After a few cycles of annealing, cooling and bending, I got to a point I was happy with. A light shine with some Nevr-Dull and here it is.
proxy.php

I shaved with it today using some RazoRock Mudder Focker and a Wizanet Super Iridium with about 30 shaves on it, and or had no trouble shaving off a 9 day mustache and goatee. Beautifully smooth like my other RFBs.
Nice work, looks great!
One day I'm going to work up the courage to straighten some teeth, but so far all mine seem to shave fine as they are, so I don't want to risk any yet.

Top Bottom