What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

The mail today brought an English #44 set. It is my first raised flat bottomed Gillette New. I scored it on last Monday, and it took till today to get here. Here's the photos-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407020637.160459.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407020652.159874.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407020665.978681.jpg
Thanks for your interest.

Thanks polar! I'll try this when I get home with it in about a week. I'll get some pictures up after she cleaned up. Thank you for your help. I also noticed a hair line crack at the top of the handle. Seems like this is pretty common and not much to worry about.

I used that cleaning technique today. Wow! Thank you! Here's my $15 double ring today:

$IMG_20140802_210918.jpg

$IMG_20140802_210937.jpg

$IMG_20140802_211009.jpg

$IMG_20140802_211027.jpg

I snagged what I believe to be an old type pocket edition today at a local antique shop. It came with the case too, but it's in pretty rough shape. If anyone could provide any more info on it, that would be great. Pics are after a little cleanup. $uploadfromtaptalk1407029567877.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407029616633.jpg

Thank you Narcoden for the pictures. And once more congratulations to a very nice Single Ring. That cleaning method really is "black" magic.

Hello all, noob here and only wet shaving for two weeks or less but already having fun acquiring razors. Picked up these two from another B&B-er on BST.

$IMG_1210.jpg

First is a user grade Gillette Fat Handled "Early" Tech (Triangular Slots). Research on B&B says its dated 1938-1941. Looks beautiful and I'm going to try this one out first.

$IMG_1211.jpg$IMG_1212.jpg$IMG_1213.jpg

Next is a cased Gillette Blue Tip Super Speed (A-3 1955) in very good user condition, nice and shiny with Gillette Super Blue Blades.

$IMG_1219.jpg

Thanks,
Michael

I just picked this Gillette up at the flea market today. I don't know any thing about it except it say's Gillette on the face. it does however look just like yours but cold colored. Any info would be help full since I am new to using vintage safety razor like this. It coast me ten dollars. did I over pay? Also I am using Dorco blades, do you recommend any other blades as I don't think the Dorco are any good .$Image0555[1].jpg$Image0558[1].jpg

Experts will of course chime in, but it seems to be a ball end Tech to me. As for blades, it's almost always YMMV, but try Astra SP, Polsilver SI etc. Me? - I love the Gilette 7 o'clock Permasharp Green(India) of all the blades that I have tried yet.

Thank you Guru17, I hope this makes a good first vintage razor. I was looking for a butterfly type Gillette but no luck. Tomorrow I'm going to scout out the local pawn shops. Thanks again for your help, I will try those blades you mentioned, Brian

Picked up a cased Sheraton yesterday evening in the wild for an affordable price. The family doesn't understand how exciting that is, but I knew you folks could commiserate. :thumbup:

It was at the big antique mall, of all places, marked $39. With the 25% discount the guy who owns the booth was running, that was out the door for $31 and change. I am stoked to get one of these in the case for that price. I've been looking for one of these that would fit in my meager budget without much hope since I saw a beat up example for no less than $100 at a different antique store. I love an open comb, and had no idea there was a TTO one.

$sheraton_01.jpg$sheraton_02.jpg$sheraton_03.jpg

Haven't taken post clean-up shots, yet. There's some staining on the head that made me think it was bare brass, but there's some plate loss on the bottom of the head that shows the nickel under-plating, so I'm not sure. Definitely not the same color as my other gold plated razors, and I don't want to be too aggressive. I guess I'll just live with the "patina" for now.

Tried it out this morning with a fresh Derby blade on 4 days worth of beard. I was expecting something aggressive, similar to my Long-comb New or Goodwill Long-comb since the combs look somewhat similar, but it actually felt more like my post-war Tech. Seemed to be a surprisingly mild shave. No burn, nicks, or weepers. :001_cool:

Handsome looking razor there.

The beginning of my newly aquired AD. This arrived today -

$20140804_202141.jpg

$20140804_202210.jpg

$20140804_202243.jpg

$20140804_202315.jpg

The pics are just on arrival and unpacking. Looks almost NOS.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1407172420490.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1407172420490.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
for some reason only one pic showed up, three are showing as Attachment 480160, 480161 and 480162. Do you know why this happens? I have run in to this several times before, when I click on them it says "invalid attachment". Also I did find some Gillette 7o' clock supper stainless After getting them home I read the box and it says made by Petersburg products Lnt, RUSSIA under licence from Gillette co. USA Correspondence: Gillette middle east Dubai, UAE. So I am guessing that these are not the same as the ones you use from India, the box sure looks the same. they did come across as very sharp though.

Hmmm.. they did show up when I uploaded them yesterday, but for whatever reason they seem to have disappeared. Will upload and edit the post in a minute now.

The green SS you're talking about are indeed Russian made and it's pretty easy to confuse between the packaging. Never used them personally though, so can't comment.

Top Bottom