What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Not a hundred rare razors, but this arrived today and I'm smitten. I'm a sucker for a price tag. Only paid 20x mote lol!
20220927_140127.jpg

Hi all its been a while since I have been on here. Just come and look here and there. Has anyone Seeing Alex2363? It's been a while since his last visit here, I have sent him a message a while back and he always responded. During Covid it's been some tough times for a lot of people, I live in NYC and it was horrible here. has anyone heard or seen Alex2363?

I want to show my new assembled razor. It’s a new head, Yaqi 105 Duo stainless the handle doesn’t quite match as it’s not polished but it’s stainless also. I caught both items at a live sale Yaqi held on two seperate occassions. It was a long wait to get both items and get it assembled but it was worth it.

03EBE526-1236-497F-98B7-EF9ADD82CEC0.jpeg
48D7269B-C850-4E79-8554-483CEA89DCCC.jpeg
EC263A54-9A07-4149-84F3-A3E87250B0B0.jpeg

I found this for $3.59 at a local discount store. Alshabab 3-piece razor? Hopefully it doesn't explode! :yikes:

View attachment 1529484
View attachment 1529483
View attachment 1529482
View attachment 1529479
View attachment 1529478
View attachment 1529477

The razor itself doesn't look too bad and is a decent weight and balance. A little lighter in weight than a Gillette Tech. I'll be tossing the blade, but a good thing is the handle also fits my King C. Gillette's head. :thumbsup:
Well, it is at least "FRESH"! That's good, right?

Just want to make sure. This is a Proper Set? It's been a while Since I've been collecting. I'm just looking for confirmation as Many years ago I was told it was a Mismatch set, but seeing The 1930 New President on Mr Razors page. All looks well?

1930 New President. The case belongs to a Cavalier Set, but it's the same case a President would come in? I've never seen a case like this that said New President, has anyone seen one?

Set still has soap bare and shaving brush inside as well.
IMG_20220930_003233__01.jpgIMG_20220930_003208__02__01.jpg

Just want to make sure. This is a Proper Set? It's been a while Since I've been collecting. I'm just looking for confirmation as Many years ago I was told it was a Mismatch set, but seeing The 1930 New President on Mr Razors page. All looks well?

1930 New President. The case belongs to a Cavalier Set, but it's the same case a President would come in? I've never seen a case like this that said New President, has anyone seen one?

View attachment 1531506View attachment 1531507
Very nice set 👌🏼

The 'President'-set with a NEW razor was supposed to match the 'Cavalier'-model from previous years with a New Improved razor. The engravings were identical on the canisters and blade banks but the 'President'-model was also offered with silver plating.

If the lid has 'Cavalier' on it it's most likely a mismatch. The case should be a "plain" one just like with the normal 'Cruiser'-set or like the even more expensive 'Aristocrat'-model.

Like these two fine ladies and as shown in the old ad:

IMG_1399.jpg
$1.jpg

My first vintage razor! For reasons discussed in my journal thread, I followed a sudden impulse to look around for a vintage Tech and came across this lovely specimen, in nice-looking shape... It's been polished, so there's none of the original plating (presumably nickel) left on the cap or baseplate, and only a little on the handle...

1664624545073.jpeg

The asking price was pretty reasonable, but for the sake of playing the game I made a counter-offer that happened (with shipping) to come to exactly the amount I had in PayPal offhand, and it was accepted... so I'm now the proud owner of a razor roughly the same age as my late father!

(He was born in 1940, and from what I gather it's difficult to precisely date these things, but obviously somewhere after 1938 when they began production on Techs and 1945-ish when they changed the design on the baseplates).

1664624582016.jpeg

Several varieties of brass on display, from the reddish-pink top cap and handle (lots of copper in there!) to the yellow base plate, and a neutral silver collar that I am not sure what to make of... but I'm given to understand this is not unusual and doesn't necessarily mean we're in frankenrazor territory!

1664624612302.jpeg

I sanitized it and took it for an inaugural spin this morning (with a Sharp 7am Plus Super Platinum, a wonderful blade from Samah Industries in Bangladesh)... and it was glorious! More details over in the shave journal but I thought I'd make a dedicated post here to celebrate!

1664624634471.jpeg

R

romsitsa

The tubes and boxes were identical, so it is either a New President set in a Cavalier case or a New President razor in a Cavalier set. Maybe the brush could give a hint. Nice.

Several varieties of brass on display, from the reddish-pink top cap and handle (lots of copper in there!) to the yellow base plate, and a neutral silver collar that I am not sure what to make of... but I'm given to understand this is not unusual and doesn't necessarily mean we're in frankenrazor territory!
Very nice. :001_cool:

It's certainly not a Frankenrazor. Red brass caps and handle bodies, along with yellow brass baseplates and handle noses were pretty much standard.

Here's my (down to bare brass) NEW Short Comb as an example:
NEW-SC_2017-08-14.jpg

Top Bottom