What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Recent online purchases that arrived today. A 1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable and a 1968 Black Handled Superspeed.

I placed a bid for these and strangely nobody else seemed to want them and I ended up with a steal.

On arrival the Slim's mechanism was pretty rough and the last quarter turn was completely jammed. Soaking it for hours loosened everything up and it works as expected now.

SlimH3andBlackFlare.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Recent online purchases that arrived today. A 1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable and a 1968 Black Handled Superspeed.

I placed a bid for these and strangely nobody else seemed to want them and I ended up with a steal.

On arrival the Slim's mechanism was pretty rough and the last quarter turn was completely jammed. Soaking it for hours loosened everything up and it works as expected now.

View attachment 1274545
A very nice find. I’ve got both. I like the slim better but both are great shavers and a good history to boot. Lots of fun. Enjoy.

I was hoping for a Rocket HD500 but after a bit of research it looks more like a No. 52 or 54A set. I would be thankful if someone could say for sure. The pics are from the vendor.
View attachment 1275453

the Rocket HD 500 and the #52 are the same razors. Rocket HD 500 is the nickname for the french set about the price of 500 Fr.
HD means the weight: Heavy Duty (around 70g). The HD500 and the #52 have different cases. The #52 case shows the Gillette Logo on the lid, the Rocket HD500 lid says "Gillette". Yours is a HD500

Rocket HD500:

#52:

the Rocket HD 500 and the #52 are the same razors. Rocket HD 500 is the nickname for the french set about the price of 500 Fr.
HD means the weight: Heavy Duty (around 70g). The HD500 and the #52 have different cases. The #52 case shows the Gillette Logo on the lid, the Rocket HD500 lid says "Gillette". Yours is a HD500

Rocket HD500:

#52:
Vielen Dank Achim!
Great so the distinction is again, as so often, only the case and not the razor itself.
I’ll weigh it once it arrives but have now no doubts at all.

Hannes, Jeff, Mike, all - great scores!!

Hannes, my money is on this one being indeed the 70 gr version and not the paperclip. AFAIK the paperclip is aluminum and has a different shine.

I owned both once, the HD is a truly superb shaver, the Paperclip is not.

My newest purchases include a Gillette Double Ring and a Gillette Old Type Big Fellow. Never thought that I would ever get these beauties of historical shaving history. Now they have a new home in Germany and they will not leave me (at least in future).

Below some pics right after receiving them before cleaning. I don't know if I should them clean at all because I will not use them.

Best wishes

Sakaltras

IMG_20210604_153959(1)(1).jpg
View attachment 1276675
IMG_20210604_154558(1).jpg
View attachment 1276677

My newest purchases include a Gillette Double Ring and a Gillette Old Type Big Fellow. Never thought that I would ever get these beauties of historical shaving history. Now they have a new home in Germany and they will not leave me (at least in future).

Below some pics right after receiving them before cleaning. I don't know if I should them clean at all because I will not use them.

Best wishes

Sakaltras

View attachment 1276674View attachment 1276675View attachment 1276676View attachment 1276677
You must use them! They are terrific shavers. Congratulations!! :thumbup:

Top Bottom