What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Glad you grabbed it. But why do you think it’s from 1908?

Adam

this script logo cases are from 1906 to 1908. In 1908 they changed to the cardboard bladebox with Gillette print and metal bladeboxes

1907 Ad:

1907-12 Gillette Safety Razor Set groß.jpg

1908 Ad:

1908 Standard set.jpg

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

this script logo cases are from 1906 to 1908. In 1908 they changed to the cardboard bladebox with Gillette print and metal bladeboxes

Could you please share the serial, I think it was a G xxxxxx, but can’t find it...

Adam

R

romsitsa

Could be Achim. It looks to be from 1907, only the blade cases look out of place. Although there were vesta cases as early as 1907, but without the Gilletet diamond, as far as I know.
If it's from 1909 (B) then the Script case look out of place.
Or the razor and box are from 1907 and someone added later two gold plated vesta blade boxes, maybe the originals went missing.

The tubes' noticeable size difference is very interesting.

Adam

Could be Achim. It looks to be from 1907, only the blade cases look out of place. Although there were vesta cases as early as 1907, but without the Gilletet diamond, as far as I know.
If it's from 1909 (B) then the Script case look out of place.
Or the razor and box are from 1907 and someone added later two gold plated vesta blade boxes, maybe the originals went missing.

The tubes' noticeable size difference is very interesting.

Adam

I´ve a british- and a US- Script case set with B ... serial number:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1906-08 Single Ring England.JPG
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1909 Standard Set.JPG

R

romsitsa

Thank you, then I’d say G 5031 is B 5031 from 1909. Diamond logo in 1907 is impossible.

Adam

I haven’t posted anything inhere for a while, but this lucky Sunday these two wonderful additions started their journey from the UK to the Northstonehill Brit collection (seller pics): Ripple open comb and Darwin Popular.

The Ripple was completely unknown to me but looks very interesting/unique indeed, the stamped baseplate reminds me somewhat of the Shavex Zee-Kol. I am guessing 1930s, but any information most welcomed as I could not find any info whatsoever on this. And it is not on my list of British razors makers (which I downloaded from B&B a while back)...

Even if the Popular to many is less desirable than the cobalt Deluxes and Standards, I’ve always preferred its more ‘normal’ looks, and I can’t wait to try it out. Looks to be in fine, if well used condition. Now, I don’t expect any Darwin to provide better shaving capabilities meriting the significant added acquisition cost, but now we will see!

View attachment 947471 View attachment 947472 View attachment 947473
never heard of that one before... very nice!

Top Bottom