What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

So...this past weekend I added to my collection. I managed to score 2 slim adjustables a black handle super speed and THIS oddball razor. A Russian Ideal adjustable. NOS in the box including a tuck of Sputnik blades. I opened the box and the first thing I noticed was this razor is HEAVY. Heavier than my Fatboy by far! The handle is also extremely long. I thought great! It looks like a Gillette clone so lets see how it shaves. The short version is that it doesn't. I started on setting 1 just in case. Lathered up and dragged it down my face and....nothing. I mean nothing was cut. I upped it to setting 2 then 3 etc etc until I got to 9. On setting 9 and with quite a bit of pressure it will shave a very little off. Angle of the head does not seem to matter. This would be a great razor for VDH blades as they would never touch your face. All in all this paperweight is a great conversation piece...but razor? I think not. View attachment 838848

A nice find!

Very cool! Most of the ones I have seen were pretty beat up. This one looks great. Too bad it doesn't shave great though. Sorry to hear that. But it is still pretty cool to have a Cold War piece like that. Congrats!
I wonder if it is under clocked. Would it be possible to depress the spring and take the knob around for another revolution?

Very nice! This is a set I hope to find one day. Congratulations!

Thanks!

The case is missing a good deal of the felt, but that doesn't concern me - the razor was put to use in its 80+ years.

The tag on it said "New Deluxe. User grade, but hard to find". I was comfortable parting with $20 for it.:001_smile

upload_2017-11-20_8-27-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-20_8-27-4.png
    upload_2017-11-20_8-27-4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
I wonder if it is under clocked. Would it be possible to depress the spring and take the knob around for another revolution?
I am not sure if that would help. Looking at the razor and measuring the blade gap, it appears to be right on part with my other adjustables. It looks to me as if the safety bar is manufactured so as to protrude too far from the main body of the head.

V
So...this past weekend I added to my collection. I managed to score 2 slim adjustables a black handle super speed and THIS oddball razor. A Russian Ideal adjustable. NOS in the box including a tuck of Sputnik blades. I opened the box and the first thing I noticed was this razor is HEAVY. Heavier than my Fatboy by far! The handle is also extremely long. I thought great! It looks like a Gillette clone so lets see how it shaves. The short version is that it doesn't. I started on setting 1 just in case. Lathered up and dragged it down my face and....nothing. I mean nothing was cut. I upped it to setting 2 then 3 etc etc until I got to 9. On setting 9 and with quite a bit of pressure it will shave a very little off. Angle of the head does not seem to matter. This would be a great razor for VDH blades as they would never touch your face. All in all this paperweight is a great conversation piece...but razor? I think not. View attachment 838848
Very neat razor, looks like a chrome colored SA right down to the plastic base plate. Sorry it doesn't shave well. Still pretty cool though.

Shaved with the Segal tonight. Very nice razor, I trimmed a Dorco Prime to fit it. This razor has some weight to it, not super heavy it feint good in my hand. I like shorter handles. The shave was smooth and efficient, Good blade feel, I say aggressive only in that it took down the stubble with ease. I will have to use it when I have more than a days growth. I really like this razor, only wish that blades for it were still made.

Shaved with the Segal tonight. Very nice razor, I trimmed a Dorco Prime to fit it. This razor has some weight to it, not super heavy it feint good in my hand. I like shorter handles. The shave was smooth and efficient, Good blade feel, I say aggressive only in that it took down the stubble with ease. I will have to use it when I have more than a days growth. I really like this razor, only wish that blades for it were still made.

Excellent. Thanks, Jerry. I think yours is the same model as mine. Can't post a pic now... the pic server is not working...

Enjoying a vacation day today, I stopped in a couple of antique shops. I found a Segal that's not in the best condition but it was cheap enough, seams to work fine, and it's different from my other one. I also found a couple of odd ones. The one with the box, I haven't quite figured out yet, I'm not sure if it's a single edge or double edge. I'll look at it closer when I get home. The small one has B-P on it, I've seen them on here before but I don't remember much about them, looks pretty interesting though.

20171121_162921.jpg

Enjoying a vacation day today, I stopped in a couple of antique shops. I found a Segal that's not in the best condition but it was cheap enough, seams to work fine, and it's different from my other one. I also found a couple of odd ones. The one with the box, I haven't quite figured out yet, I'm not sure if it's a single edge or double edge. I'll look at it closer when I get home. The small one has B-P on it, I've seen them on here before but I don't remember much about them, looks pretty interesting though.

View attachment 839150
Excellent scores, I've seen those little fold up razors before. That boxed one I haven't seen either. Let us know what you find out about it. Congrats on some nice finds.

Excellent scores, I've seen those little fold up razors before. That boxed one I haven't seen either. Let us know what you find out about it. Congrats on some nice finds.

Thanks.

About all I could find on the one in the green box is that it was given away as advertising premiums by Unsinger U.R.B. Advertisers I believe around the '20s.

I finally got it apart, and I still have all of my fingers. Looks like it takes a de-spined SE blade.

2017-11-21 19.46.45.jpg

2017-11-21 19.48.14.jpg

Top Bottom