What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Took my daughter to a vintage toy store to find a replacement Minnie Mouse, her favorite, and we found this languishing with some beat up junk:

1953-1954 Gillette Rocket HD

BEFORE
View attachment 792279
View attachment 792280View attachment 792281View attachment 792282View attachment 792283

AFTER
View attachment 792284View attachment 792285View attachment 792286View attachment 792287View attachment 792288

It has some plate lost to the bottom of the baseplate, but otherwise it is in pretty good shape. I will likely shave with it in the morning.

Congrats! The Rocket is hands down my favorite razor!

Bought these two beauties on the bay. The right one is a Bluebeards revenge, got that, a Bluebeards revenge badger brush and a pack of Astra SP for roughly 16$ with shipping! As far as i know this one is very close to a Edwin Jagger DE89.

The left is another Rotbart Mond Extra. I already got one, but a RFB, this one is a clone of a Gillette old if i'm right?
Payed somewhere around 15$ for this one, with shipping.

Havent got them in my mail yet, so I dont know the condition of the Rotbart, but thats part of the fun and excitement :)

Screenshot_20170528-073411.png Screenshot_20170528-073531.png

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Received a tech I won in a pif last month today. It paired quite nicely with a Gillette nacet. BBS three pass shave. Color me impressed.
It's a great razor. Enjoy!
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Took my daughter to a vintage toy store to find a replacement Minnie Mouse, her favorite, and we found this languishing with some beat up junk:

1953-1954 Gillette Rocket HD

BEFORE
View attachment 792279
View attachment 792280View attachment 792281View attachment 792282View attachment 792283

AFTER
View attachment 792284View attachment 792285View attachment 792286View attachment 792287View attachment 792288

It has some plate lost to the bottom of the baseplate, but otherwise it is in pretty good shape. I will likely shave with it in the morning.

Well done!!!!

Found this at a local flea market today. Cost me next to nothing tbh, but I got it for curiosity.

It's in great condition

What is it?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Looks to me like Bakelite. If you are unsure then run hot water over it or rub your thumb on it to create friction, basically make it warm, then smell it... If it smells like formaldehyde (or generally a chemical/medicinal smell) then it's Bakelite.

I previously owned a Gillette Bakelite tech so I can confidently say that's not what you have there. The side profile shot of the head looks very similar to the modern merkur progress head design so maybe it is an old style merkur Bakelite? The part that is throwing me off is any merkur Bakelite I've seen (even the old ones) have a safety bar that gives a decent blade gap, yours appears to have little-to no blade gap. I then want to say pre-merkur branding however I'm pretty sure they started using the merkur branding for their DE lines prior to the invention of Bakelite so that may not be it. If I am wrong on my timeline there someone please correct me.

Either way, that is a cool find! Looks like it would be a mild shaver and due to its minimal gap may require frequent rinsing. I don't forsee you using that for multiple days growth but that should be really nice as a mild daily driver or good for someone with a more thin-average beard.

*edit: if I were you I would reach out to Erik/Douglas Smythe from PAA. He is extremely knowledgeable, especially when it comes to Bakelite, and his responses have always been detailed, timely, and friendly. I bet he will have more info

Finally succumbed to the Fatboy itch.
Will take some time to cross the pond, but look forward to it's arrival.

Attachments

• fatboy.jpg
    fatboy.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 21
Made a few good finds this weekend. Mostly excited for the English Gillette Aristocrat Jr and Gold Rocket. Also got a Tech, 7 o'clock, Rolls Razor, and two straights.

Looking forward to trying them all and the 7 o'clock will be my first open comb.

may28.jpg

Top Bottom