What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

My apologies. But I do see in a post above someone asking what is a good price. I would just ask for equality in admonishment thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I made the score of all scores. A 1928 New Improved Cavalier model. This was listed as 'unmarked vintage' as it has no serial number and no markings other than the patent. I recognized it as a new improved but did not know what I had until the day after I won the auction. This one was a user, the top is faded and the engraving is not as distinct as the one on Mr Razor. Any thoughts on value? I have never seen a real one listed.
It may be the NI that came in the Algonguin presentation, not the Cavalier.

Beautiful catch!

Here's an aquisition from awhile back. I haven't posted because it was a set I put together after bouncing some ideas off of another great member here. There was a really long story involved, and the original razor comb had been lost in shipping. I found a more than suitable replacement.

It may not be the flashiest of the ABC cases but, I believe, it's one of the rarer.
Being leather, the 505 really has stood the test of time and the plush interior is without a drop of watermarking. Paired with the Gillette logo cap shell ABC, it makes a nice presentation!
View attachment 1056562View attachment 1056563View attachment 1056564View attachment 1056566View attachment 1056565

Not bad, Adam...:w00t:

"It may be the NI that came in the Algonguin presentation, not the Cavalier. "

It could be, but that one shows 'made in usa' and the gillette logo on the guard. This one has no markings other than the patent. Also the engraving is different.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

It could be, but that one shows 'made in usa' and the gillette logo on the guard. This one has no markings other than the patent. Also the engraving is different.

I wonder how many patterns were used during this period. This sounds like a good topic for the main forum!

Edit: I didnt notice yours had the engraving on the back! Definitely looks "cavalier" now!😁

Here's an aquisition from awhile back. I haven't posted because it was a set I put together after bouncing some ideas off of another great member here. There was a really long story involved, and the original razor comb had been lost in shipping. I found a more than suitable replacement.

It may not be the flashiest of the ABC cases but, I believe, it's one of the rarer.
Being leather, the 505 really has stood the test of time and the plush interior is without a drop of watermarking. Paired with the Gillette logo cap shell ABC, it makes a nice presentation!
View attachment 1056562View attachment 1056563View attachment 1056564View attachment 1056566View attachment 1056565
Gorgeous Adam, score!!!

These came to my door today don't know how it happened. No key but I'll sort that hopefully

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_143016.jpg
    IMG_20200127_143016.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20200127_143002.jpg
    IMG_20200127_143002.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 56
R

romsitsa

All NI should have the diamond and made in... stamps.

Adam

The Beast

Monsieur Nosfaratu

Muhle R103

has landed.

and more soaps.....

20200127_163802.jpg

doesnt seem that beastly compared to my other razors. might have to skip the derby premium I loaded into it and move to feather which is a smoother blade to me.

camo

All NI should have the diamond and made in... stamps.

Adam
maybe but it is obvious to me that it is a cavalier, and these were made in the period (1928) when there were no serial numbers. I'd be interested to know if there are cavaliers with the logo and made in usa.

R

romsitsa

I'd go as far as yours is the only NI without the diamond and made in stamps. Even when the serial numers ceased, these two were present. Cavaliers were produced from the begining of the NI era, 1921.
Basically every Gillette razor carried the diamond from 1908 till the end.

Here is another such Cavalier, look close at the top of the comb, it's smooth.

For comparison, how it should look:

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go as far as yours is the only NI without the diamond and made in stamps. Even when the serial numers ceased, these two were present. Cavaliers were produced from the begining of the NI era, 1921.
Basically every Gillette razor carried the diamond from 1908 till the end.

Here is another such Cavalier, look close at the top of the comb, it's smooth.

For comparison, how it should look:

Adam

The one in the second link is just like mine, showing no logo or made in usa. ???
BTW I own a single ring from 1910 silver plated with only a serial number and patent. No logo or made in usa.
But I appreciate your input nevertheless - regards.

R

romsitsa

The one in the second link is just like mine, showing no logo or made in usa. ???
BTW I own a single ring from 1910 silver plated with only a serial number and patent. No logo or made in usa.
But I appreciate your input nevertheless - regards.

The top of the comb on all New improveds has a brushed finish with sharp edges. That poor thing was grinded down, most likely to get rid of the markings, then polished. Yours look the same, smooth top with rounded edges?

I wrote "basically". The diamond was introduced in 1908, but it took time to develop a final form and stamping method so it dissapeared for some time. Then reappeared during ww1 in the US.

Adam

got the links confused. yes mine is like the one in the first. I would prefer it had the logo, ect. of course. But it is a cavalier nonetheless. hope you agree - regards

"The top of the comb on all New improveds has a brushed finish with sharp edges. That poor thing was grinded down, most likely to get rid of the markings, then polished. Yours look the same, smooth top with rounded edges? "

here's a pic, definately is scratchy,
and the underside

Attachments

• IMG_3680[1].JPG
    IMG_3680[1].JPG
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3681[1].JPG
    IMG_3681[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3682[1].JPG
    IMG_3682[1].JPG
    997.6 KB · Views: 35