What's new

RUBBERSET 49-5 (pic heavy)

If I were you, I'd go boar.

Get you an Omega Pro brush. It has an awesome knot in a black plastic cup in a cheapo handle. Cut it out of the handle it comes with and put it into this one. Serendipity baby!

It will look closer to original.

It will be a treat that's hard to beat.

I did that with my last Rubberset restore but I cut the cup off the knot. For this one it will probably be a better fit with it on and cover that little crack too. Win - win!

$9 on Amazon.

I was looking at this one, twice the price, 27mm, but with a higher loft at 65mm, but I'm not really a fan of boar. Still something to think about though, thanks!

Omega-10098-BIG-PRO-Boar-Shaving-Brush-350x350.jpg

This one is $14.50 and 28mm.

omega-20102-Boar-Hair-Shaving-brush-boar-350x350.jpg

EnvyShave on Etsy has a nice 28mm synthetic knot. BTW I would seal up the handle very well (obviously after sanding, but prior to mounting it to the rubber). This is to prevent it from any change in size (swelling) and possible re-cracking the rubber. I assume it will be used around water :001_tt2: and water does cause a lot of swelling on non sealed wood. I have about 8-10 brushes waiting on me to finish them. Keep us posted.:001_cool:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Toby, I would go this way
If I were you, I'd go boar.

Get you an Omega Pro brush. It has an awesome knot in a black plastic cup in a cheapo handle. Cut it out of the handle it comes with and put it into this one. Serendipity baby!

It will look closer to original.

It will be a treat that's hard to beat.

I did that with my last Rubberset restore but I cut the cup off the knot. For this one it will probably be a better fit with it on and cover that little crack too. Win - win!

$9 on Amazon.
I have used a few of these and they really will go with that style of handle very nicely .
They are inexpensive and feel nice I have pif a few and kept 2 for myself.
if you buy the 2 that you are showing there would be no reason to bust them up for the knot
the handles that they come with look nice.

If you're considering boar you can get a 27mm at TGN for 12 bucks that should be a perfect fit. Their knots changed my opinion on boar, mucho backbone but easier on the face than expected.

If you're considering boar you can get a 27mm at TGN for 12 bucks that should be a perfect fit. Their knots changed my opinion on boar, mucho backbone but easier on the face than expected.

Interesting, now I have to think some more!

I had decided to go with This.

The TGN 27mm has a cup, you ever cut one off?

Looks like I'm chiming in a little late, but really can't add much more than what everyone else already said.
I've yet do do any restores so I can't help in that regard.
That grey badger you're looking at certainly fits the bill of being an affordable way to go, but may lack backbone like most pure Badgers.
I say go with on of Vigs finest since they are very well priced compared to others, but in my experience with them I've found the glue plugs to be larger in diameter than advertised. So a good fit may be hard.
The boar knots at TGN that @CigarSmoka mentioned are ready nice. I've never used or removed one with the plug before though.
With any brush I make it perfer having the knot in hand before ever drilling the cup that it'll be set in. With a restore like this, it could be hit and miss.
Though I don't think anything I've said is anymore helpful than than the comments of the the others before me, I hope it does a little.
Best of luck and I hope that what ever knot you deside to go with works out.

Thanks Dave! :thumbsup:

I'm going with the TGN 27mm, I think it has the best chance of fitting the existing hole, and it will at least resemble the original.

@TobyC I'm not sure if it comes with the ferrule or if that's just how the pic is. Email them & see what they say. Either way, imo it's a great knot, especially if you like finest badgers. At half the price it's very comparable to one. I intend to buy a few more 24mm boars in the future. The tips are a lot softer than I expected and even with very sensitive skin it didn't bother me on the first use but I bowl lather.

Go with it Bro

As soon as I scrape together some more spare change! :thumbsup:

:cool2:

Pics or it didn't happen

Well, it didn't happen,... yet! :001_tongu

@TobyC I'm not sure if it comes with the ferrule or if that's just how the pic is. Email them & see what they say. Either way, imo it's a great knot, especially if you like finest badgers. At half the price it's very comparable to one. I intend to buy a few more 24mm boars in the future. The tips are a lot softer than I expected and even with very sensitive skin it didn't bother me on the first use but I bowl lather.

Ferrule or not, I'm gonna go for that one and see how it goes. :thumbup:

Here's a tip for everyone.

Razorock sells a Blondie boar brush. I got one for around $6 or $7. The knot is similar to Omega but no funk. It's prewashed or something. Anyway it's not exactly the same. It's blonder than the Omega. It's a little harder to get the knot out of the handle too. And it's in a chrome plated plastic cup instead of the black one Omega uses. It's roughly the same size. Maybe a bit smaller.

If you ever order anything from Italian Barber get the Blondie boar brush in the black plastic handle. It's very nice. Soft and broken in feeling right out of the mailbox.

I took mine out of the handle but haven't had the time to clean up the vintage brush I want to transplant it into.

@TobyC good man!

@bakerbarber thanks for the heads up. I know there's a lot of variation with boar knots, but that blondie sounds similar to the TGN. I think I paid $9.95 for the 24mm TGN so I'd probably skip the hassle of removing one to save a few dollars but it's a viable option if the knots are comparable.

The TGN knot does look messy after the first use, not all straight hairs like many I've seen, but the face feel more than makes up for it.

Here's a tip for everyone.

Razorock sells a Blondie boar brush. I got one for around $6 or $7. The knot is similar to Omega but no funk. It's prewashed or something. Anyway it's not exactly the same. It's blonder than the Omega. It's a little harder to get the knot out of the handle too. And it's in a chrome plated plastic cup instead of the black one Omega uses. It's roughly the same size. Maybe a bit smaller.

If you ever order anything from Italian Barber get the Blondie boar brush in the black plastic handle. It's very nice. Soft and broken in feeling right out of the mailbox.

I took mine out of the handle but haven't had the time to clean up the vintage brush I want to transplant it into.

It's a decent size knot too!

Knot diameter: 26 mm

Knot loft: 64 mm

@TobyC good man!

@bakerbarber thanks for the heads up. I know there's a lot of variation with boar knots, but that blondie sounds similar to the TGN. I think I paid $9.95 for the 24mm TGN so I'd probably skip the hassle of removing one to save a few dollars but it's a viable option if the knots are comparable.

The TGN knot does look messy after the first use, not all straight hairs like many I've seen, but the face feel more than makes up for it.

Thank you sir!

Top Bottom