What's new

Rubber Note In Scotch Whisky

Recently taken to Scotch whisky and tried Naked Malt (formerly The Naked Grouse) tonight. Had early watched a review on YouTube that spoke to a rubber note in it, and I detected that on my first dram, before adding and then after adding a small amount of water. Most say that I didn't care for that. Just poured another dram and added a bit more water than before. Now I am getting it less on the nose an very little on the palate. But was wondering if anyone knows would would cause a rubber note? Naked Malt has been reviewed as a sherry-bomb. I do think it has more sweetness than Monkey Shoulder (only other Scotch I've had recently) but not a whole lot more. Again, what causes a rubber note? Thanks!

Rubber, creosote, band aids, tar are mostly associated with peated Malts. The Naked is a Sherry forward expression of The Grouse but maybe you T
Rubber, creosote, band aids, tar are mostly associated with peated Malts. The Naked is a Sherry forward expression of The Grouse but maybe you picked up a bit of Highland Park in it.
Thank you! I was thinking that years ago I could pick up a hint of cresote in some Scotch. Appreciate your refreshing me.

Sulphur notes come from a couple sources, at either end of the process. A lot of white dog (sorry, "new make") will have some present and how much is retained a lot to do with the design of the still and how it was fired. At the other end of it is the sherry casks-- practice for a while (not sure if it is still current) was to disinfect the emptied casks with a sulphur candle prior to shipping.

Typically-- and this is a rather broad generalization-- the sulphur notes that are leftover in the new make tend to more complex and more subtle, whereas what comes from the cask tends to be more rubbery. I've been out of the Scotch world for several years but I don't remember a consensus as to whether the gunpowdery/struck match notes that you sometimes get were a result of the sherry casks or the new make-- perhaps both, I recall a couple writers reporting that whiskies like Talisker and Springbank had pretty dirty noses right off the still.

If you ever want to explore that rubber a bit more, Laphroaig Quarter Cask will be happy to oblige. A bit more of a ongoing tire fire note than a clean rubber note, but you get the idea, hehe.

welcome to the scotch whisky rabbit hole, Sir john parker!
You have lots of excitement ahead!!
Perhaps, even a trip to Scotland!!

Scotland 2021 Z7 5769_x.jpg

Thank you! Been to Scotland twice, although a good number of years ago. Bingoed into RAF Lossiemouth due to the loss of a flap on a cat shot in the North Sea. Spent a week getting that fixed. Then went back on a detachment for a couple weeks a year after that. Had a little scotch whisky then but mostly McEwan's ale. Great stuff! Great place! Would love to go again!

Top Bottom