What's new

Wet Tip Brush Lathering In A Bowl

Hey Guys

I initially wrote this procedure as a Wiki Page as an alternative to traditional lathering techniques.
I decided to post it under the General Discussion forum because it is not really specific to a particular brush or soap but rather a simple process of creating a good lather in a bowl.

Traditional lathering usually instructs the process to begin by soaking the brush knot in a bowl of water or soaking under a running faucet.
My experience with the soaked brush method is variable. I always squeeze the lather remaining in the brush into a small trash can liner. Almost always, at the end of the squeeze, some runny-soupy water would drip out of the brush. This lead me to the belief that water in the upper and upper-middle portion of the brush knot was unnecessary and did not integrate with the lather lower in the knot.

I am adding in a special note: I tried using this process face lathering and had some problems. The issue is when the soap and water have not developed into a lather before inverting the brush. Gravity will cause the water to move toward the knot head and the soap is still on the tips. For that reason I think using a bowl will create a better result.

Another Note: Prep is key to any wet shave. A shower or multiple splashes of water is required. I apply several splashes before starting the lather and again before applying to my face.

1. To start, I wet ONLY the bottom tips of the brush. I have used this technique with synthetic, badger and boar brushes. It is tempting to want to wet "a little bit more", but 1/4 of an inch (less than 1 cm) is sufficient. The upper portion of the knot remains dry.
DO NOT at any time, turn the brush upside down until after the lather is complete. You do not want the water to expand up into the knot; that will happen naturally as the lather develops.

2. Slightly (very slightly) flick a little bit of the water in the brush into the sink.

3. Now it is time to lightly start adding soap or cream on the brush tips. Start lightly swirling the brush on top of the soap. Do not apply any pressure! At this point, the water and soap needs to be only on the tips. The rest of the brush is dry.
Remember, keep the tips pointing downward at all times until the lather is fully developed.

4. Once sufficient soap is in the brush, start swirling it in a bowl (a rough or textured bottom helps). Again, don't press the brush downward into the bowl, just keep lightly swirling. The developing lather will initially look soapy or too wet but will quickly thicken. Keep swirling the brush and notice that lather is now "riding" up and into the lower portion of the brush. The lather that is building inside the knot will be of the same consistency throughout.

5. What I do now is rub the lather on the brush onto the rim of the bowl and give it a quick re-mix. Sometimes I may need to add a few sprinkles of water if the lather on the rim is too thick or too dry.

6. Now is the time to start face lathering. (remember to splash your skin again several times) There is no concern about water in the upper portion of the knot not being well integrated with the lather.

Here is a final little experiment to see if you were successful. Load the brush full of lather and then, starting at the base of the knot, squeeze all the way to the tips. The lather should be consistent throughout and no drippy water at the end.

Just discovered this post.

I like this idea, and will give this a go when I get the chance.

I do have a question though.

Are dry boar bristles more likely to break during lathering compared to wet ones?

Is it worth soaking the brush so the bristles absorb water, then squeezing out the extra water before following your plan?

Interesting point after I just posted my rant about disliking the lather hoarding floppy mop characteristics of badger vs synthetics. (YMMV- just my own opinion and experiences) Maybe I’m drowning the brush and it would work better if I were to wet just the tips and keep the soap and water away from the handle. May allow it to keep more backbone And be more usable for me.

....I decided to post it under the General Discussion forum because it is not really specific to a particular brush or soap but rather a simple process of creating a good lather in a bowl...

....6. Now is the time to start face lathering. (remember to splash your skin again several times)...
I'm confused. Are you building the lather in the bowl or are you building the lather on the face?

The 6S is a hefty razor but a very capable razor. There's no denying it looks big or it's solid feel. But for as heavy as it is, it's actually remarkably smooth. No really, it is! I have no issues at all with recommending this razor. It's technically adjustable with it's various base plates so there's really no way to not find the quality of shave you're looking for.

I'm confused. Are you building the lather in the bowl or are you building the lather on the face?
What I do is build and develop the lather in a bowl and then apply with a brush on my face,

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I practiced this method and it works well for me.
Even making lather directly on top is fine, I just tilt my head up a bit in the process to avoid backflow of water.

Top Bottom