What's new

Rex Konsul - eager for reviews!

First shave with the Konsul, first shave with a slant. A little background – I prefer mild razors. I like the AS-D2, I like the Tech. I use my Rocnel Sailor on 1 (sometimes 2 after a couple of days); my Taigas are pretty much pegged at 2.5, I use the Ambassador on 1.5. The Konsul was a leap of faith. Not having seen a slant close up, this is my first take. It is asymmetric, not only the razor, but the blade. Looking at the head top down (photo - all other photos are with the Ambassador on the left, the Konsul on the right), there is more blade exposure and a greater gap from one side of the cap to the other. It should shave closer on one side of the shaving stroke than the other. There should be more of a chance of slicing yourself with one end of the cap than the other. One side should leave more stubble. It doesn’t, there isn’t, and it won’t. It just shouldn’t work, from an engineering and logical standpoint. TLDR - but it does.

View attachment 1409954

General observations: The build on the Konsul is every bit as robust as the Ambassador, which shares its heritage. The handle knurling to me isn’t as grippy, but the Ambassador is my baseline judging every other razor grip, described as “Velcro” which it practically is. The Konsul is a close second though, and none of my other razors exceeds the grip of the Konsul except the Ambassador. The bottom of the baseplate on Konsul is finished a little rougher than the Ambassador (photos) – you can actually feel the laser engraving. I attribute this to more hand-finishing for this first batch, and in fact you can see some polished fitting marks in the pictures. You can also see the offset slots on the mid-plate of the Konsul, I’m assuming as a result of the slant design. Interestingly, the cap of the Ambassador will fit on the Konsul – so pay attention if you own both (you can see the difference viewing from the side)! I’m not sure what it would do to the shave to use the Ambassador cap on the Konsul, but I expect that generously, it wouldn't improve it. Construction of the Ambassador and the Konsul is similar, two-piece semi-Gibbs design with a retained locking knob and rod – only the cap comes off. Weight is similar (Ambassador 106g, Konsul 105g). The cap on the Konsul is actually slightly narrower in width – almost 25mm, where the Ambassador is almost 26mm, and you can see the difference visually. Longitudinal length of the head is virtually the same at just over 44mm. Practically, both of these razors balance and handle identically.

View attachment 1409956

View attachment 1409957

View attachment 1409958

Shaving: I wasn’t sure exactly how to shave with a slant, so I didn’t change anything consciously in my technique compared to the Ambassador. Giving it every chance, Personna blade, Jack Black’s Beard Lube with each pass, SW’s Carmilla (a soft, cushiony, voluminous-lathering soap in my hands, with a dab of Nivea's shaving gel for an uberlather, shaving scuttle and my favorite Shavemac brush, followed by SW’s aftershave. Three-pass shave – WTG, XTG, ATG. At first I wanted to accommodate the slant by changing the angles, but just went with my normal stroke. The results were surprising. I suppose I expected a shave like the Ambassador, but it was actually one of the most comfortable – if not the – of any DE razor I have used. Ever. My shocked face. You almost literally cannot feel the blade moving through whiskers. As a caveat, one shave with one soap, but I’ll change up the combos with further use, and it’s definitely a keeper in the stable. I don’t know how every other slant works, but Wow.

View attachment 1409961

View attachment 1409959

Thanks so much for a superbly written review, Sir! Love the details and your thoughts and observations. Very very informative.

On top, you even like this thing! - and as it seems that your shaving preferences match mine to a T (‘T’ for Tech :biggrin1:) you have brought me much comfort.

Because yes, already last night I caved to the urge :blush:

FD0BC487-18E3-44F1-88C6-CB4743F89728.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
First shave with the Konsul, first shave with a slant. (...) It just shouldn’t work, from an engineering and logical standpoint. TLDR - but it does.

Shaving: I wasn’t sure exactly how to shave with a slant, so I didn’t change anything consciously in my technique compared to the Ambassador.

Stellar review, thank you! It's a bit of a leap of faith for me, too, and I've been using slants for a while. It's currently sitting in LA.

You got 'er on the run now.

O.H.

So here goes my little review. Rex Konsul

Packaging is the same is ambassador and everything else as of late. Beautiful
I got the brushed version. It’s immaculate no scratches or any imperfections none what’s so ever.
Handle knurling is very much different then anything I have seen or felt in about 7 years of wet shaving.
On to the shave. I loaded for my first shave a perma sharp blade. I never really had a problem with those blades so figured why not. I don’t know why I selected a setting of 3.5 on my first pass. After few strokes I realized I am dealing here with a very smooth beast. With the grain pass was absolutely smooth and efficient. Even though it’s been only 24 hours since I last shaved there was enough growth to attack.
Second pass across the grain. Same as the first buttery smooth. Thought out the whole shave I have never felt roughness or discomfort or any other I’ll effects.
Third and final pass against the grain. Well there wasn’t one. I stopped shaving against the grain chasing that bbs. Because it doesn’t matter what razor I use wether it’s Rex, wolfman, blackland, or any other razor I just end up with irritation.

*Disclaimer
I do not receive products free of charge I pay for them all at retail price. I have a soft spot in me to say which is better this razor or blackbird or any other razor especially or specifically if it’s made in the 🇺🇸. I respect all of them and proud that they are all able to produce quality products for us.

Matt Pisarcik did a wonderful job with this razor. I am extremely happy with this purchase.
37EF6C9E-8F51-4A28-856B-B3AEFAE3B58C.jpeg

So here goes my little review. Rex Konsul

Packaging is the same is ambassador and everything else as of late. Beautiful
I got the brushed version. It’s immaculate no scratches or any imperfections none what’s so ever.
Handle knurling is very much different then anything I have seen or felt in about 7 years of wet shaving.
On to the shave. I loaded for my first shave a perma sharp blade. I never really had a problem with those blades so figured why not. I don’t know why I selected a setting of 3.5 on my first pass. After few strokes I realized I am dealing here with a very smooth beast. With the grain pass was absolutely smooth and efficient. Even though it’s been only 24 hours since I last shaved there was enough growth to attack.
Second pass across the grain. Same as the first buttery smooth. Thought out the whole shave I have never felt roughness or discomfort or any other I’ll effects.
Third and final pass against the grain. Well there wasn’t one. I stopped shaving against the grain chasing that bbs. Because it doesn’t matter what razor I use wether it’s Rex, wolfman, blackland, or any other razor I just end up with irritation.

*Disclaimer
I do not receive products free of charge I pay for them all at retail price. I have a soft spot in me to say which is better this razor or blackbird or any other razor especially or specifically if it’s made in the 🇺🇸. I respect all of them and proud that they are all able to produce quality products for us.

Matt Pisarcik did a wonderful job with this razor. I am extremely happy with this purchase.View attachment 1411855

Great review - thanks! My hopes are really building that this razor will fit me. Will have it in hand in a week.

Gents,
Quick technique question...
Do you "ride the cap" or "ride the safety bar" with a slant?
Background:
I am a 3 pass/BBS/7 day a week shaver. As far as DEs are concerned, I've been using the Ambassador since Jan/2018 and it has been a wonderful, efficient and comfortable shaving tool. Contrary to some folks, I adjust the setting during the shave by dialing down (setting 2) for areas with sensitive skin (neck and around the mouth) and use a middle of the road setting (3/3.5) for other areas of the face. This works well for me...YMMV.
I really like the Ambassador and when the Konsul came out promising an even smoother shave, I very happily pre-ordered the razor.
Yesterday was my first shave with the Konsul and my first shave with a slant razor. I used a new blade Astra SS (Blue) which has been a very successful blade with the Ambassador. I followed my normal pre-shave routine so the only variable was the razor. I set the Konsul at 2.5 and started shaving. All in, the shave was a success...BBS with no irritation. That said, I certainly noticed positive blade exposure and some "pulling".
This morning was day 2 with the same blade and I added a pre-shave oil to make sure that the whiskers were as soft and hydrated as possible. Day 2's shave was successful BBS after 3 passes (and touch ups) with no irritation but again, I certainly noticed the blade while shaving.

Is there a nuanced yet distinct difference in shaving technique between slants and traditional DEs?

General comments on the Konsul. I concur with everyone about the design and build of the razor...first class! One reviewer said that the Konsul has the same balance as the Ambassador. I don't agree...the Konsul has a heavier head (just more metal) so the balance point is moved up the handle slightly. Also, the Konsul's adjustment dial has much more resistance than the adjustment dial on my Ambassador. I have a very early (M4) Ambassador and early reviewers were complaining that the dial moved too easily. The additional resistance may be by design.

I am on a learning curve with this new razor and I look forward to dialing it in. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Gents,
Background:
I am a 3 pass/BBS/7 day a week shaver. As far as DEs are concerned, I've been using the Ambassador since Jan/2018 and it has been a wonderful, efficient and comfortable shaving tool. Contrary to some folks, I adjust the setting during the shave by dialing down (setting 2) for areas with sensitive skin (neck and around the mouth) and use a middle of the road setting (3/3.5) for other areas of the face. This works well for me...YMMV.
I really like the Ambassador and when the Konsul came out promising an even smoother shave, I very happily pre-ordered the razor.
Yesterday was my first shave with the Konsul and my first shave with a slant razor. I used a new blade Astra SS (Blue) which has been a very successful blade with the Ambassador. I followed my normal pre-shave routine so the only variable was the razor. I set the Konsul at 2.5 and started shaving. All in, the shave was a success...BBS with no irritation. That said, I certainly noticed positive blade exposure and some "pulling".
This morning was day 2 with the same blade and I added a pre-shave oil to make sure that the whiskers were as soft and hydrated as possible. Day 2's shave was successful BBS after 3 passes (and touch ups) with no irritation but again, I certainly noticed the blade while shaving.

Is there a nuanced yet distinct difference in shaving technique between slants and traditional DEs?

General comments on the Konsul. I concur with everyone about the design and build of the razor...first class! One reviewer said that the Konsul has the same balance as the Ambassador. I don't agree...the Konsul has a heavier head (just more metal) so the balance point is moved up the handle slightly. Also, the Konsul's adjustment dial has much more resistance than the adjustment dial on my Ambassador. I have a very early (M4) Ambassador and early reviewers were complaining that the dial moved too easily. The additional resistance may be by design.

I am on a learning curve with this new razor and I look forward to dialing it in. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks Stuart - nice to have your various impressions. I wonder how it will work with a Feather, my favorite blade…

I only shaved with two slants before - Ikon and Hoffritz. Don’t honestly remember how I shaved but I probably rode the bar like I always do. I don’t like riding the cap, the angle seems awkward to me.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Gents,
Wunderbar: Cap
DS-XT: Bar
iKon B1 Slant: Bar
Konsul? Don't have one

So basically, slants are like other razors in this regard. Some designs lean more into the bar, others more into the cap.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Gents,

I tend to use all razors at a steep angle.

$Steep Angle.jpg

$Shallow Angle.jpg

If I become convinced prior to purchase that a razor only works for cap riders I don't buy it.

Slants should be used exactly like other DE razors. Ignore the fact it's a slant. Just shave.

Sometimes I use the razor's design angle (or neutral angle) which hits the cap and the guard equally. Mostly I shave by audible and tactile feedback but mostly that means steep.

Giving my vast experience with the Konsul...one shave...I'd say its design angle is a good bit steeper than some razors.

I use the Wunderbar steep, and the FOCS, and the X3, and all my slants. Not that I have all the slants of course, but I have a few. (That means a few, unlike the gentleman who has hundreds, a collection which blows my mind.)

Happys shaves,

Jim

Gents,

Can't say that I pay particular attention to either when shaving. I put the bar against my face and tilt the head until I feel the blade cutting whiskers, but that's not really a conscious effort, just the natural way to use a razor for me - so I suppose I would be a "bar" person. The bar is designed to keep your face from getting cut (hence "safety" razor as opposed to straight razor), so I would think you would want the bar in contact with your skin all the time - which it might not be if you're using the cap as an index and you had a large enough gap. To me, using the cap to measure your shaving angle would seem to be just guessing, and not necessarily repeatable - but that's me. I honestly think we often overthink things in developing technique, and whatever works for a particular individual may not work at all for another.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Can't say that I pay particular attention to either when shaving. I put the bar against my face and tilt the head until I feel the blade cutting whiskers, but that's not really a conscious effort, just the natural way to use a razor for me - so I suppose I would be a "bar" person. The bar is designed to keep your face from getting cut (hence "safety" razor as opposed to straight razor), so I would think you would want the bar in contact with your skin all the time - which it might not be if you're using the cap as an index and you had a large enough gap. To me, using the cap to measure your shaving angle would seem to be just guessing, and not necessarily repeatable - but that's me. I honestly think we often overthink things in developing technique, and whatever works for a particular individual may not work at all for another.

Exactly so.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Actually, the COG (“balance point”) on both razors appears to be in virtually the same place on the handles in relation to the baseplate. The Konsul does have a slightly taller cap, and the cap weighs slightly more (15.4g) than that of the Ambassador (14.1g), but the Ambassador head is a millimeter wider than the Konsul, safety-bar-to-safety-bar, so I would guess the weight of the complete head is probably close to the same if not identical (and unfortunately not detachable, so you can't actually weigh it). The handle length for both razors appears to be identical as well (just at 78mm, depending on how you measure), hence the measured balance (reference where the center of gravity is on the handle) should be, and appears to be, exactly the same. The slightly more domed cap of the Konsul could well result in a different feel while shaving, and perception is everything, but the physical measure of the balance of these razors is the same.

20220218_163732[7359].jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Seems the Konsul is a much ...smoother... (beat me, find no better word for the way slants shave gently) razor than the blade forward Ambassador.

The only problem (for me - YMMV! ;) ) is the price. Hope they export it to Europe soon, I am not to keen to pay customs/VAT on top of that.

Mine is coming this Tues from Executive Shaving, cannot wait. I have a stupidly tough beard and fairly sensitive skin. For me the hardest shaving challenge is 1 day growth as it's difficult to cut the hair without irritating the skin. At the moment I use an ATT S1 so I'll be comparing to that. I've also tried a Wunderbar but that thing is scary and causes way too much irritation for my taste whilst not being able to slice the hair as effectively as the S1.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mine is coming this Tues from Executive Shaving, cannot wait. I have a stupidly tough beard and fairly sensitive skin. For me the hardest shaving challenge is 1 day growth as it's difficult to cut the hair without irritating the skin. At the moment I use an ATT S1 so I'll be comparing to that. I've also tried a Wunderbar but that thing is scary and causes way too much irritation for my taste whilst not being able to slice the hair as effectively as the S1.

Should be interesting. I'll stay tuned.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Can't say that I pay particular attention to either when shaving. I put the bar against my face and tilt the head until I feel the blade cutting whiskers, but that's not really a conscious effort, just the natural way to use a razor for me

Exactly. I swap off razors often enough that I just start shallow and tip it up until it cuts.

Helical slants can have a bit wider "window" than plains, which I imagine is due to the changing angles across the edge. Still, I find this method works well for me. With non-adjustable razors I tend to roll up on the cap to get through tough areas, then back down on the bar to clean them up after "taking the top off" the hair.

I've been playing with adjusting the FOCS, since my Konsul is still in LA. I think this's gonna be good.

Just rev it up and go!

O.H.

Top Bottom