What's new

What are some high end/premium slants?

Hello folks,

I've found myself liking slants since I started experimenting with them and now I'm at least interested to get a "premium" one.. I'm looking for suggestions for slants that would be deemed higher end/luxury/premium or whatever one wants to call it! 🙂

You know.. something a little special, up the price range a bit, high quality etc.. if I'm honest, I can't really think of any apart from the Rex Supply Co's adjustable slant the Konsul. I know the Sentry is almost out now too.. but what else is there besides Rex' offerings? None of the usual companies in this category seem to offer one.

Are premium slants not particularly common? Any time I try to search online for "best slants" it mostly suggested your typical Merkur and so on.

Many thanks in advance,

I've tried the Mekur, Ikon X3, and the Fatip OC Slant - the only one that was usable for me was the Fatip. If I was actively looking for a slant today, I would look at the new Razorock offering. I am not looking for a slant but I still really want to try one.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello folks,

I've found myself liking slants since I started experimenting with them and now I'm at least interested to get a "premium" one.. I'm looking for suggestions for slants that would be deemed higher end/luxury/premium or whatever one wants to call it! 🙂

You know.. something a little special, up the price range a bit, high quality etc.. if I'm honest, I can't really think of any apart from the Rex Supply Co's adjustable slant the Konsul. I know the Sentry is almost out now too.. but what else is there besides Rex' offerings? None of the usual companies in this category seem to offer one.

Are premium slants not particularly common? Any time I try to search online for "best slants" it mostly suggested your typical Merkur and so on.

Many thanks in advance,
Razorock has some excellent slant razors in 316SS polished and there is a thread on what the fellows who bought one think.
The latest RR slant razor is called the "Super slant" and it is well enjoyed from what the fellows have mentioned.
I have the RR Wunderbar slant and it works well for myself, I find using the Wunderbar gives great shaves using a Steep angle(riding the bar) with a short handle + light touch gives stellar shaves. Italian barber(Razorock) just made a small batch of Wunderbar slants because folks wanted them.
Good luck looking for your slant razor.

Here is a "premium" take on the vintage Fason slant, the Monster Slant series El Fantasma. I have the Kryptonite version, the only one on the market that glows as far as I know so that should qualify it as "special". If you don't like light razors, this is not the slant for you as you have to apply a tiny bit of pressure. Definitely not the slant for you if you want to spend more than $27. Regardless of price or material, it is a great fun shave.

Kryptonite.jpg

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Now this is funny. You're going up the scale; I've been going down. :)

Hmmm. I'll venture a few that are either in production or were recently:

ATT (which as Shane says above may be available again soon):

X1 AC slant
S1 DE SB slant
S2 DE OC slant

RazoRock:

The Superslant, available in 12 different levels of aggression (9 SB, 3 OC)
The Wunderbar

Rex:

Konsul adjustable slant

Depends on what you want. I have most of the above. I've tried the Superslant in L1++OC, L2++OC and L3SB. When the plates come back in stock I may pick up an L3++OC. At the moment the Superslant L2OC is very high on my list.

The ATT S2 was a revelation to me and is still one of my favourite shavers. I've not tried the S1. The X1, for me, fits more conceptually in the frame of "mild AC razor" than "slant" though it is slanted; tilted, not helical. Between the S2 and X1 I'll usually grab the S2. The X1 is my only AC razor, so I may not have blades for it sometimes. I'll acknowledge a bias toward helical slants instead of tilted slants, though I've used some nice tilted slants.

The Rex Konsul is a great razor, and also the most expensive razor I have bought for myself. Worth it? Well, I got a really smooth shave from a sub-$30 slant this morning. Yeah, I'd say it's worth it. I enjoy using the Konsul and the difference between it and the sub-$30 razor is that with the Konsul I'm pretty much guaranteed a lovely shave.

The sub-$30? It's this one:

1700528244799.jpeg

It's dead simple to thread a 7.5 cm M5 x 0.80 screw up from the bottom of the handle. This makes the razor safely "twist adjustable." A quarter turn looser really wakes this thing up. Plus as @Calyshaver notes, a cool green glow. :) Which brings up a different take on "premium." I've put in some time on the Fasan Double Slant and on the Merkur "Super Slant" and this razor shaves like those highly sought-after vintage items. Premium shave, not premium price -- subjective to be sure but you may find it so as well.

O.H.

Last edited:
Above the Tie's Slant will be returning soon. Undoubtedly one of the best slant designs ever produced.
if it goes back to the simple design it was I can see it doing well.

They got a lot of flack when they started “improving” their product and diversifying To more cost effective means for a wider audience. I understand they weren’t the hip new thing but they had a good market.

I have a first year S1 slant with the “non-parallel to the blade” top cap design, prior to them changing so it was parallel to the blade. Seems odd but works amazing. Tried the S2, just didn’t agree with me like most open combs.

I tried the newer heads that cover the edge of the blades. Added far too much mass.

Last edited:
Above the Tie's Slant will be returning soon. Undoubtedly one of the best slant designs ever produced.
Never tried their original. Looking forward to what comes out of this acquisition.

Can you leak some more details 😜?

To answer OPs question though…I’ve used 37c (my intro to slants and was decent), a Parker slant (had a bad experience will try again if i feel masochistic), Wunderbar (Current favorite for head shaving and my to go and about a L2/L3 superslant) Superslant L1(more feedback than Wunderbar want to try more aggressive plates and their OC ones. L1 I could use mindlessly…)

Hi,

It wasn't all that good for me. My comparison is the Fasan Red Dot Double Slant (as well as the generic Solingen made differential slant).

I bought an S2 and used it for two months and never did get it to shave anywhere near as well as the Fasan. I kept it for two years, and finally let it go in this year's auction. There was no reason to hang onto it and the auction is a good cause and the razor was out of production forever as far as we knew then.

It's great that it'll be returning for those that want one.

Maybe you can consider machining a Fasan replacement. I'd far rather have one made from stainless. :)

Same suggestion for the Solingen differential design.

Stan

Hello folks!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm familiar with quite a few of the ones mentioned in the thread. I'm especially very keen to pick up one of the PAA slants inspired by the old Fasan razors as suggested by @Calyshaver !

I will definitely grab one of those soon. I see they have at least three options when I last looked.. I think it's likely mostly colour difference only. Green, Blue and Red if I remember correctly.

But if I'm truthful I was really more keen on suggestions for luxurious, boutique/artisan slant options.. something in the line and price range of say.. maybe Tatara, Timeless, Blackland, Lambda or whatever. Let's say.. maybe in the £150 upwards sort of category.

I think the posts reinforces my suspicion that there's not really many slants in that category at all.. the most "premium" slant I've found is the Konsul and for some reason the adjustable slant doesn't really seem to appeal to me as much as I'd like. I don't know why that is as I'm sure it's a bonus and as I love "regular" adjustables. I think it's just that an adjustable slant isn't very "traditional" so to speak. 😁

However as I do love my Ambassador I may indeed avail of the upcoming sale and pick up a Konsul anyways.. I dunno. I just would have liked something different. To maybe try a different manufacturer.

As someone else asked I'm open to both modern and vintage options.. but yes, I'd been thinking mostly new.

Oh and as for Above the Tie, I don't know much about them or what sort of price range they were but I checked their site there wasn't much on it at all. It was just a page that said something like "We are now part of the Blackland family but our legacy continues" maybe not verbatim but something to that effect? I thought maybe the company had been bought over or merged with Blackland.. but I've no idea.

Many thanks to all!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hello folks!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm familiar with quite a few of the ones mentioned in the thread. I'm especially very keen to pick up one of the PAA slants inspired by the old Fasan razors as suggested by @Calyshaver !

I will definitely grab one of those soon. I see they have at least three options when I last looked.. I think it's likely mostly colour difference only. Green, Blue and Red if I remember correctly.

But if I'm truthful I was really more keen on suggestions for luxurious, boutique/artisan slant options.. something in the line and price range of say.. maybe Tatara, Timeless, Blackland, Lambda or whatever. Let's say.. maybe in the £150 upwards sort of category.

I think the posts reinforces my suspicion that there's not really many slants in that category at all.. the most "premium" slant I've found is the Konsul and for some reason the adjustable slant doesn't really seem to appeal to me as much as I'd like. I don't know why that is as I'm sure it's a bonus and as I love "regular" adjustables. I think it's just that an adjustable slant isn't very "traditional" so to speak. 😁

However as I do love my Ambassador I may indeed avail of the upcoming sale and pick up a Konsul anyways.. I dunno. I just would have liked something different. To maybe try a different manufacturer.

As someone else asked I'm open to both modern and vintage options.. but yes, I'd been thinking mostly new.

Oh and as for Above the Tie, I don't know much about them or what sort of price range they were but I checked their site there wasn't much on it at all. It was just a page that said something like "We are now part of the Blackland family but our legacy continues" maybe not verbatim but something to that effect? I thought maybe the company had been bought over or merged with Blackland.. but I've no idea.

Many thanks to all!
When you are looking at the PAA slants, don't miss the Filament. It shaves like a dream. I have a few top end razors and the Filament is right there with them, for me, of course.

ATT closed up its shop earlier this year. They sort of started the CNC stainless steel razor trend many moons ago, if I have my facts correct. I'm open to correction, if I have that wrong.

Shane, the owner of Blackland Razors decided to buy their company with its designs because he felt they were too important to the wet shaving community to see them gone for good.

Actually, the Monster Series slant geometries do differ although PAA does not address it in their marketing copy. The Filament has a milder twist than my El Fantasma and the Blue Phantom has a more aggressive twist than these both. So, there are performance differences, just FYI. Like @Phoenixkh described, I also prefer the Filament, but it does not glow like the ELF.

Also, you should skim through this thread as every imaginable slant is probably displayed and discussed in detail. Just skip ahead a few pages to get past the sign up sheets.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Actually, the Monster Series slant geometries do differ although PAA does not address it in their marketing copy. The Filament has a milder twist than my El Fantasma and the Blue Phantom has a more aggressive twist than these both. So, there are performance differences, just FYI. Like @Phoenixkh described, I also prefer the Filament, but it does not glow like the ELF.

Also, you should skim through this thread as every imaginable slant is probably displayed and discussed in detail. Just skip ahead a few pages to get past the sign up sheets.

I also have the Blue Phantom and the Crimson Ghost but I haven't tried them yet. I sort of bought them on a whim. I am serious, the Filament continues to surprise me every time I use it. As I've mentioned before, I'm a bit embarrassed when a $27 razor shaves as well as my ummmm, much more expensive razors.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I don't own the Rex Konsul, the most expensive slant known to me, but while the also not inexpensive RazoRock Superslants/Wunderbars cost more than say Merkur, Yaqi, DSCosmetics etc. slants, they are IMO showing better than the others what that "slant thing" wants to achieve. Maybe the cheap PAA "Monster" slants are also good, heard lots of good reports about them.

For Superslant and Wunderbar, the Wunderbar returned for a limited time, so you might only be able to get the Superslant plates. They are well worth it! The major difference between Superslant and Wunderbar is that the Superslant has more tactile feel and shaves steeper, while the Wunderbar shaves shallow and you might not feel much. Even if it cuts away skin. That's why I favor the Superslant (the L3++ OC plate is my favorite, the high L2+ to L3 range is according to Razorock comparable to the Wunderbar, personally I felt the L3 SB plate was a bit less efficient than the Wunderbar), it gives better warning and I like shaving steep.

I second the motion in favor of the ATT S-1 in stainless steel. Mine has the midsize handle (called Kronos, if I remember). It’s on the mild side but effective and very smooth. Pair it with a Kai, a Feather, or a GSB, and it’s as good as they come (but always YMMV).

I’m waiting for a titanium version from Blackland.

Top Bottom