What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

B0AD581D-A026-408A-B4A7-FF0A70DDD359.jpeg
Hmm .... found this in my drafts ...... guess I didn’t actually send it yesterday ...

It’s here! :thumbup:

I must say, perhaps like others, I’m impressed with the overall quality, sleek design, and feel of this razor. I am very pleasantly surprised (I guess I didn’t do much homework first) that it is not a TTO but a 2-piece. And I really like the way the end knob disengages from the top cap post but remains in the handle. Very cool.

I also love the finish and deep knurling.

So here’s my kit for tomorrow. Might try out some of the other goodies in the box later this week. Thanks to those who included them!

Alright ....... first shave impressions.

Enjoyed loading up a fresh Gillette Platinum blade. Nice tight fit, no wiggle, and no ears (love that!).

Set it at 3. Figured I’d start in the middle.

Like others have said, super smooth shaving experience. Enjoyed a nice subtle audio feedback track. Hardly felt the blade at all, but I could tell it was working. Might have come close to a weeper on my chin (normal problem area) because I was somewhat lulled into being a little cavalier with a new razor. But in the end, just a little sensitive spot.

I found it a bit hefty, but perhaps that’s because I’ve been shaving with an aluminum PAA Starling V2 OC lately. No trouble getting up under my nose ..... my favorite razors are the Gillette Old and New types with nice thin heads ..... so I was worried about that. Obviously this one is thicker, but turned out to be no problem.

I was afraid this was going to happen. I’m really trying to curb my RAD. Almost dropped out of the passaround and pretty much had my expectations set to not love it. But if the next few days go as well as today, I’m probably going to feel that I “need” one of these.

Alright ....... first shave impressions.

Enjoyed loading up a fresh Gillette Platinum blade. Nice tight fit, no wiggle, and no ears (love that!).

Set it at 3. Figured I’d start in the middle.

Like others have said, super smooth shaving experience. Enjoyed a nice subtle audio feedback track. Hardly felt the blade at all, but I could tell it was working. Might have come close to a weeper on my chin (normal problem area) because I was somewhat lulled into being a little cavalier with a new razor. But in the end, just a little sensitive spot.

I found it a bit hefty, but perhaps that’s because I’ve been shaving with an aluminum PAA Starling V2 OC lately. No trouble getting up under my nose ..... my favorite razors are the Gillette Old and New types with nice thin heads ..... so I was worried about that. Obviously this one is thicker, but turned out to be no problem.

I was afraid this was going to happen. I’m really trying to curb my RAD. Almost dropped out of the passaround and pretty much had my expectations set to not love it. But if the next few days go as well as today, I’m probably going to feel that I “need” one of these.

I know how bad RAD gets. At first, it was the Razorock Game Changer, then the Rockwell 6c, now the Rex Ambassador. Each time, I thought I had purchased the cure. Already find myself looking at the Haircut and Shave Stainless Steel H&S NO75. There doesn't seem to be a cure.

Yup

Realized I forgot to complete my shave description from this morning.

Did my usual 3-pass: North to south, Ear to nose, South to north

Got a fairly typical result for the Gillette Platinum. About an 8 on my 1-10 scale. I rarely get a 9 ... and I’ve never gotten a 10 .... ever. So good result today.

Gonna crank it up to 4 tomorrow and see what happens.

9/23/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (????-????)
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (completed)
4. @JWK1 (completed)
5. @amateriat (completed)
6. @valthun (completed)
7. @ram57 (completed)
8. @Chef Glenn (completed)

Reserve List:
1. @SolidSnake03 (completed testing)
2. @DCP (dropped out per request)
3. @cgr86 (dropped out per request)
4. @Parallax (completed)
5. @Badger in the Sun (completed)
6. @‘Bout Time (in hand testing)
7. @BBS-1 (on deck)
8. @MC Shaving (in the hole)
9. @vadim
10. @jldallas
11. @johnwick
12. @Olegausany
13. @ryinzana
14. @pdieten
15. @Zen Shaver
16. @Schinny
17. @Chaddy187
18. @Calm_Shaver
19. @P@tsfan6484

*Purchased a Rex.

I will leave the list intact as it were and we’ll just go by ear. Whomever is up next contact will be made and if there is no reply, we’ll move on to the next name on the list and so forth until we get someone to participate. We’ll see how it goes....

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

Second shave today ......

Cranked it up to 4. Still totally amazed at how smooth it feels. I was a bit more attentive today, but still had one close call on the corner of my lip. Just a twinge. No blood. Need to respect this razor.

4-pass shave today (North-South, Ear-Nose, Nose-Ear, South-North) because I have a meeting on Wednesday nights and would rather not do a touch-up. Giving the result a 9 out of 10. Tempted to go with 9.5, but trying not to give in to emotion.

I noticed during the between-pass rinses that it was removing far more stubble per pass than any of my 30 razors (straights, injectors, single edges, double edges, slants). I was quite surprised after the first pass, and could probably get by on just 1 with this razor. Can’t say that about any of the others.

I really love this thing. Afraid I might have to get one.

Will choose between going on up to 5 or dropping down to 2 tomorrow. Hmmm ........

For my third shave with the Rex I went on up to 5. Normal 3-pass routine.

Glad I did, but won’t do it again. Felt some bite on my neck, couple weepers (more like seepers .... real minor, quickly gone) just under lip, and plenty of alum feedback.

Real smooth result but irritation lasted a while.

Still really like the razor, but the weight is beginning to trouble me. It might be a little heavier than I prefer, and the initial rush might be subsiding.

Setting of 2 today. Ultra-smooth, but not so close. Too mild for me.

So ........ I’m traveling this weekend and don’t want to have the Rex with me. I’ll be back on Monday for a final spin and plan to have it in the mail by EOD Mon. I’m thinking I’ll try one of the soap samples in the box and maybe a 4-3-2 style 3-pass (just for fun).

It has been a real pleasure to play with this razor for a while. As others have said, I’m glad I had the chance so if I decide one day to buy it, I’ll be doing so with accuarate knowledge. Thanks @GlazedBoker!

Final shave with the Rex this morning.

Went with a 3-pass using a 4-3-2 setting progression using the Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk Jamestown Gentleman sample.

Delightful shave. Maybe because I’m back from a weekend of travel with my Braun 9293s electric razor and haven’t had a smooth face for a couple of days. But still ...... ultra smooth experience and final result.

The Rex is back on my “get one someday” list.

It is currently soaking. Will pack it up and ship it out to BBS-1 by end of day.

Razor arrived today. First shave with it will be tomorrow. I want to get anywhere from the 3 to 6 shaves in before sending it off.

First shave was at about 2 1/2 setting. Shave was with a Bic blade, 5 passes. Razor is pretty mild but very efficient at this setting. I got a BBS shave with no problems. Tomorrow I will up the setting to 3 1/2 or 4.

10/3/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:
1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (????-????)
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (completed)
4. @JWK1 (completed)
5. @amateriat (completed)
6. @valthun (completed)
7. @ram57 (completed)
8. @Chef Glenn (completed)

Reserve List:
1. @SolidSnake03 (completed testing)
2. @DCP (dropped out per request)
3. @cgr86 (dropped out per request)
4. @Parallax (completed)
5. @Badger in the Sun (completed)
6. @‘Bout Time (completed)
7. @BBS-1 (in hand testing)
8. @MC Shaving (on deck)
9. @vadim (in the hole)
10. @jldallas
11. @johnwick
12. @Olegausany
13. @ryinzana
14. @pdieten
15. @Zen Shaver
16. @Schinny
17. @Chaddy187
18. @Calm_Shaver
19. @P@tsfan6484

*Purchased a Rex.

I will leave the list intact as it were and we’ll just go by ear. Whomever is up next contact will be made and if there is no reply, we’ll move on to the next name on the list and so forth until we get someone to participate. We’ll see how it goes....

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

Today's shave was set at 3 1/2 still mild and efficient but a little bit sharper of a cut, few minor nicks and a BBS shave but this time there was some irritation afterwards unlike when set at 2 1/2.

Today's shave was set at 3, good middle ground between the previous 2 settings. This would most likely be the setting I'd use if I was shaving with this razor on a regular basis. I am going to put in one more shave tomorrow, then my final thoughts on the razor along with shipping it out to @MC Shaving on Monday.

Today's shave was set at 3, good middle ground between the previous 2 settings. This would most likely be the setting I'd use if I was shaving with this razor on a regular basis. I am going to put in one more shave tomorrow, then my final thoughts on the razor along with shipping it out to @MC Shaving on Monday.

Nice that you found the compromise to get a decent shave. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom