What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

I’ll be curious to hear what you think. I used the 3 and 4 plates on my Rockwell 6s, and I couldn’t seem to get a comfortable, irritation-free shave from the Rex. Even on the lower numbers, it just had too much blade feel for my liking and I reluctantly sold it on. I loved the looks and feel of it in my hand. It’s an incredibly well-built razor....just not built for MY face, apparently.
Well, guess I'll find out. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow and so my first shave with it will be Friday morning.

Well, guess I'll find out. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow and so my first shave with it will be Friday morning.

Not trying to discourage you. You’ll probably love it. Many people do. I badly wanted to love it, too....it just wasn’t meant to be.

This hobby is fun precisely because we're each so unique. I really respect this razor. It's substantial, well engineered and beautiful. And it's not my cup of tea.

This razor is well made out of the highest quality 316 stainless. It has the kind of precision that high end razors typically have. It screws together in a way that locks the blade in place perfectly, with no wiggle and equal exposure on both sides. Back when I liked hefty razors I would have really enjoyed this one. For years I shaved with a Futur. Over time, my tastes have changed and now I enjoy nimble and elegant razors. This one feels rather clunky by comparison. But I loved that Futur once upon a time and this razor is by far better. It's better made in every respect and, though I'm no engineer, it seems to me it's designed better too. When one adjusted the Futur from 1 to 6.5, the only thing that seemed to change was the blade gap. With the Rex, both the blade gap and the angle of attack seem to change.

Adjustables are great for newbies trying to figure out what level of aggression works best for them and also for guys who like to change things up -- from day to day or from pass to pass or from one part of one's face to another. I'm not one of those guys. I like to select a razor each morning based on a lot of factors, more emotional than rational, but in part on how much aggression is called for, and then stick with it for an entire shave -- focusing more on pressure and blade angle than mechanical adjustments to the razor itself.

I used to be fine with big heads that are hard to maneuver under one's nose. Now I don't like it so much, even though I was able to shave every last whisker.

Also, I like very aggressive razors so I turned this one all the way up to 6.5 and it wasn't quite enough. My favorite razors are my Charcoal Goods Level 3 (SB), my Ikon Tech, and most of all my 106 year old Mark Cross (loaded in a manner that makes it super aggressive, smooth and maneuverable). I'm spoiled by these amazing razors. I own a few and have used several other high end razors -- mainly due to the largess of a couple of shave brothers (gentlemen on this site). The Rex is as high quality as any of those razors. (FWIW, I don't think a Wolfman is better than an ATT or a Timeless or a Charcoal Goods -- to me they're all similar, each with unique qualities that make it more appealing to some.) This one, the Rex, is right up in that class. It's just not quite what I'm looking for. (For the same reason, I rarely touch either of my ATTs anymore.) Really glad I tried it though. Otherwise, I'd never have known.

Last edited:
This hobby is fun precisely because we're each so unique. I really respect this razor. It's substantial, well engineered and beautiful. And it's not my cup of tea.

This razor is well made out of the highest quality 316 stainless. It has the kind of precision that high end razors typically have. It screws together in a way that locks the blade in place perfectly, with no wiggle and equal exposure on both sides. Back when I liked hefty razors I would have really enjoyed this one. For years I shaved with a Futur. Over time, my tastes have changed and now I enjoy nimble and elegant razors. This one feels rather clunky by comparison. But I loved that Futur once upon a time and this razor is by far better. It's better made in every respect and, though I'm no engineer, it seems to me it's designed better too. When one adjusted the Futur from 1 to 6.5, the only thing that seemed to change was the blade gap. With the Rex, both the blade gap and the angle of attack seem to change.

Adjustables are great for newbies trying to figure out what level of aggression works best for them and also for guys who like to change things up -- from day to day or from pass to pass or from one part of one's face to another. I'm not one of those guys. I like to select a razor each morning based on a lot of factors, more emotional than rational, but in part on how much aggression is called for, and then stick with it for an entire shave -- focusing more on pressure and blade angle than mechanical adjustments to the razor itself.

I used to be fine with big heads that are hard to maneuver under one's nose. Now I don't like it so much, even though I was able to shave every last whisker.

Also, I like very aggressive razors so I turned this one all the way up to 6.5 and it wasn't quite enough. My favorite razors are my Charcoal Goods Level 3 (SB), my Ikon Tech, and most of all my 106 year old Mark Cross (loaded in a manner that makes it super aggressive, smooth and maneuverable). I'm spoiled by these amazing razors. I own a few and have used several other high end razors -- mainly due to the largess of a couple of shave brothers (gentlemen on this site). The Rex is as high quality as any of those razors. (FWIW, I don't think a Wolfman is better than an ATT or a Timeless or a Charcoal Goods -- to me they're all similar, each with unique qualities that make it more appealing to some.) This one, the Rex, is right up in that class. It's just not quite what I'm looking for. (For the same reason, I rarely touch either of my ATTs anymore.) Really glad I tried it though. Otherwise, I'd never have known.
Great Informative Review! Enlightened. Hopefully when it’s my turn, it will work out for me... I really like the look of this razor. Thank you.

I received my Rex Ambassador yesterday and shaved with it this morning. Was also my first time using a pre shave cream (Proraso) so that may have helped. Had a Polsilver blade in - second day for the blade. After reading all the comments on here, I kept the setting low. Staying below #2. Had maybe the best shave I've had. Close to BBS and when I used the alum block afterwards, very little sting on my neck area which often comes close to a burning sensation. Looking forward to using the Rex again tomorrow morning. The experience was quite smooth with little drag and very efficient.

9/13/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (????-????)
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (completed)
4. @JWK1 (completed)
5. @amateriat (completed)
6. @valthun (completed)
7. @ram57 (completed)
8. @Chef Glenn (completed)

Reserve List:
1. @SolidSnake03 (completed testing)
2. @DCP (dropped out per request)
3. @cgr86 (dropped out per request)
4. @Parallax (completed)
5. @Badger in the Sun (en route too)
6. @‘Bout Time (on deck)
7. @BBS-1 (in the hole)
8. @MC Shaving
9. @vadim
10. @jldallas
11. @johnwick
12. @Olegausany
13. @ryinzana
14. @pdieten
15. @Zen Shaver
16. @Schinny
17. @Chaddy187
18. @Calm_Shaver
19. @P@tsfan6484

*Purchased a Rex.

I will leave the list intact as it were and we’ll just go by ear. Whomever is up next contact will be made and if there is no reply, we’ll move on to the next name on the list and so forth until we get someone to participate. We’ll see how it goes....

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

So, I’ve been following this thread for a while now and have appreciated all the comments from the persons giving the Rex a test ride. I’ve also noticed there are only a small number who have decided to purchase the Rex despite that many of the reviews have skewed positive if not glowing. I have shaved with two kinds of adjustables—a Gillette Slim/Fat Boy and a Merkur Progress (I have the Mergress). At this point, I cannot imagine an adjustable beating the Mergress, but yes, YMMV. So, price point aside, for those who have tried the Rex, would you say it’s the best adjustable you have used even if price has prevented you from purchasing? Do you prefer another adjustable? Thanks again for your comments.

So, price point aside, for those who have tried the Rex, would you say it’s the best adjustable you have used even if price has prevented you from purchasing? Do you prefer another adjustable? Thanks again for your comments.

No. I’d say that I loved the look, the design, and the feel of it in my hand, but it’s the only DE razor I’ve ever shaved with that’s given me consistent razor burn, even on the lowest settings. For adjustable razors, I prefer the Gillette Super Adjustables (aka Black Beauty).

9/17/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (????-????)
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (completed)
4. @JWK1 (completed)
5. @amateriat (completed)
6. @valthun (completed)
7. @ram57 (completed)
8. @Chef Glenn (completed)

Reserve List:
1. @SolidSnake03 (completed testing)
2. @DCP (dropped out per request)
3. @cgr86 (dropped out per request)
4. @Parallax (completed)
5. @Badger in the Sun (in hand testing)
6. @‘Bout Time (on deck)
7. @BBS-1 (in the hole)
8. @MC Shaving
9. @vadim
10. @jldallas
11. @johnwick
12. @Olegausany
13. @ryinzana
14. @pdieten
15. @Zen Shaver
16. @Schinny
17. @Chaddy187
18. @Calm_Shaver
19. @P@tsfan6484

*Purchased a Rex.

I will leave the list intact as it were and we’ll just go by ear. Whomever is up next contact will be made and if there is no reply, we’ll move on to the next name on the list and so forth until we get someone to participate. We’ll see how it goes....

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

I hesitated to join this pass around because the Rex is totally different than what I normally use and what I like.

For the last three years, my daily shaver has been a vintage, non-adjustable, open-comb, lightweight razor (Gillette RFB #77). The Rex, of course, is modern, adjustable, close-comb and nearly twice as heavy as my RFB (108 vs 58 g).

I was prepared for disappointment. But to my surprise, I really like it. I found it extremely smooth. At the 2 setting, I got no blade feel at all. No irritation. No weepers. With two passes and a touch up, it was an acceptably close shave. I could easily go with that every day.

The sweet spot for me was around the 2.75 setting. I got a close shave without much loss of comfort. Above 3 was the tipping point where I started getting weepers unless I used a light touch. And when I did that, I missed spots.

I did find the heaviness and thick handle cumbersome at first. But by the third shave I was used to it. I like the deep knurling on the handle. It's the least slippery razor of any I've used. I thought the large head might make it hard to reach under my nose, but that was not an issue.

As others have mentioned, the fit and finish of the Ambassador is impeccable. Blade setting changes are smooth and precise. Changing the blade is easy. The design is superb.

Would I buy this razor? I'm on the fence about it. It's not only the cost, but I think the adjustability is wasted on me. I don't think I'd ever change the setting. If I could find a non-adjustable SS razor that had the same smoothness and efficiency as the Rex set at 2.75, I'd buy that.

Thank you to @GlazedBoker for organizing this. And thank you to the folks who added soaps and blades to the box. There's some interesting stuff in there. I added a couple items I thought people might like to try.

I'll send the box out this afternoon or tomorrow morning to @'Bout Time, who is next on the list.

I hesitated to join this pass around because the Rex is totally different than what I normally use and what I like.

For the last three years, my daily shaver has been a vintage, non-adjustable, open-comb, lightweight razor (Gillette RFB #77). The Rex, of course, is modern, adjustable, close-comb and nearly twice as heavy as my RFB (108 vs 58 g).

I was prepared for disappointment. But to my surprise, I really like it. I found it extremely smooth. At the 2 setting, I got no blade feel at all. No irritation. No weepers. With two passes and a touch up, it was an acceptably close shave. I could easily go with that every day.

The sweet spot for me was around the 2.75 setting. I got a close shave without much loss of comfort. Above 3 was the tipping point where I started getting weepers unless I used a light touch. And when I did that, I missed spots.

I did find the heaviness and thick handle cumbersome at first. But by the third shave I was used to it. I like the deep knurling on the handle. It's the least slippery razor of any I've used. I thought the large head might make it hard to reach under my nose, but that was not an issue.

As others have mentioned, the fit and finish of the Ambassador is impeccable. Blade setting changes are smooth and precise. Changing the blade is easy. The design is superb.

Would I buy this razor? I'm on the fence about it. It's not only the cost, but I think the adjustability is wasted on me. I don't think I'd ever change the setting. If I could find a non-adjustable SS razor that had the same smoothness and efficiency as the Rex set at 2.75, I'd buy that.

Thank you to @GlazedBoker for organizing this. And thank you to the folks who added soaps and blades to the box. There's some interesting stuff in there. I added a couple items I thought people might like to try.

I'll send the box out this afternoon or tomorrow morning to @'Bout Time, who is next on the list.

Nice assessment, I agree on a lot of points, especially the setting range. I believe Rex has a 3 piece version coming mimicking around setting 3, might be worth checking out.

Top Bottom