What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

Final thoughts on the Rex before shipping it off to @MC Shaving . For a mild razor at least until the 3 setting this razor performs excellent for the way I shave, which is 5 passes. BBS shave every time with minimal to no cuts or irritation depending the setting. I didn't feel the need to go above 3 since it was already getting the job done for me.

The razor also seems to be well built and one thing I noticed that this razor does well in comparison to others is hold excess water in the razor head. You won't have issues with your cream/soap drying out half way through a pass. Bottom line it is well built and performs to the highest level one would expect for a shave.

End result for the price of this razor new at retail you wouldn't feel cheated for what this razor costs which is $249 normally. If you are okay with dropping that type of money on a razor then go for it. Do I think it is worth $249 the answer is no, but I don't think any razor is worth this price new since anyone can knock this razor or any razor off for that matter at a price point well under $100 if they do a 3D printed razor. The performance here is not dependent on the build quality but on the head geometry which is not a price dependent factor with razors. With all that said I would buy this razor if I can find a good deal on the secondary market, price drop on retail or sale that is under $200.

I have received the razor, will have my first shave Friday with a follow up Monday. Fair skin so grows lite. Will turn around in a week to get some quality shaves.

Last edited:
10/9/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:
1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (????-????)
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (completed)
4. @JWK1 (completed)
5. @amateriat (completed)
6. @valthun (completed)
7. @ram57 (completed)
8. @Chef Glenn (completed)

Reserve List:
1. @SolidSnake03 (completed testing)
2. @DCP (dropped out per request)
3. @cgr86 (dropped out per request)
4. @Parallax (completed)
5. @Badger in the Sun (completed)
6. @‘Bout Time (completed)
7. @BBS-1 (completed)
8. @MC Shaving (in hand testing)
9. @vadim (on deck)
10. @jldallas (in the hole)
11. @johnwick
12. @Olegausany
13. @ryinzana
14. @pdieten
15. @Zen Shaver
16. @Schinny
17. @Chaddy187
18. @Calm_Shaver
19. @P@tsfan6484

*Purchased a Rex.

I will leave the list intact as it were and we’ll just go by ear. Whomever is up next contact will be made and if there is no reply, we’ll move on to the next name on the list and so forth until we get someone to participate. We’ll see how it goes....

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

Hi everyone, I have used the Rex a few times already and finally able to do a mini review in this post. I"m doing a mini review because so many of you have shared experiences that I can attest to, plus I have a full review on another platform, that is unable to be shared on the forum.

The build is quality, good weight. I'm not convinced it's worth the $250 price tag. With that, it is a good razor, that should cost more then average or better than average razors.

I have light whiskers that take a few days to grow in so using the REX on a setting greater than 3 would not be the norm for me.. Though on a three, I can feel the razor doing it's job, so I would have to defer to those with heavy beards to give the razor justice on the higher settings.

I will say that 2-3 setting is my sweet spot. I absolutely love the smooth glide on a 2. I almost couldn't feel the razor, yet I saw it chop those whiskers without a problem. I used some Art Of Shaving preshave oil for the first shave and no preshave for the second. Both were very close in performance. Thanks for the member that included the pumpkin head soap, its was a nice seasonal shave. I used Uncle Jon's pumpkin Spice Soap for the second round. Astra blues and Wilkinson blades pair well. No nick's or irritation to report which makes me one happy shaver.

One more shave tomorrow before it goes out Thursday to the next in line. Thanks for letting me be a part of this pass around and for all of you that added some goodies to try along the way.

Last edited:
10/21/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:
1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (????-????)
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (completed)
4. @JWK1 (completed)
5. @amateriat (completed)
6. @valthun (completed)
7. @ram57 (completed)
8. @Chef Glenn (completed)

Reserve List:
1. @SolidSnake03 (completed testing)
2. @DCP (dropped out per request)
3. @cgr86 (dropped out per request)
4. @Parallax (completed)
5. @Badger in the Sun (completed)
6. @‘Bout Time (completed)
7. @BBS-1 (completed)
8. @MC Shaving (completed)
9. @vadim (in hand testing)
10. @jldallas (on deck)
11. @johnwick (in the hole)
12. @Olegausany
13. @ryinzana
14. @pdieten
15. @Zen Shaver
16. @Schinny
17. @Chaddy187
18. @Calm_Shaver
19. @P@tsfan6484

*Purchased a Rex.

I will leave the list intact as it were and we’ll just go by ear. Whomever is up next contact will be made and if there is no reply, we’ll move on to the next name on the list and so forth until we get someone to participate. We’ll see how it goes....

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

Here is my review after shaving with the Rex razor last week. Overall, I was impressed by the build quality. Everything feels well made and the finish is attractive. I liked how the bottom knob is captive in the handle but drops down a good bit to enable cleaning.

Some minor annoyances: I'd prefer the setting knob to have detents to make it easier to align the collar with specific settings. I imagine that adding detents and aligning the indicator may make the razor more complicated and possibly less reliable; however, if it is possible, it would improve the usability for me. I also noticed that when I first installed the blade, the baseplate was not perfectly aligned--a gentle touch with my fingertip was enough to align everything; however, this type of finickiness drove me away from using adjustable (and some slant) razors. The thing I love about standard 3-piece stainless steel razors is how consistent and durable they are. Vintage Gillette razors always seemed fragile and inconsistent to me.

I prioritize smoothness in my razors, so I started shaving with the Rex just above the lowest setting. I shaved using a Polsilver SI blade. I was able to get a comfortable and close 2-pass shave. I repeated the shave during the remainder of the week with equally good shaves. The razor was always comfortable and I never felt the need to try shaving at higher settings. However, that brings me to another big reason why I wouldn't buy an adjustable razor--I always shave with a single setting, so the adjustability feature would be lost on me. I've already found other razors that are just as smooth and comfortable for me.

Thanks to @GlazedBoker for making the Rex razor available and running the pass-around. I appreciate the opportunity to try this razor. It was a nice razor but I don't think it offered a shave that was significantly better than other razors I already own. But I do think it's a good razor to have in the marketplace since it fills a gap that some would appreciate.

Here is my review after shaving with the Rex razor last week. Overall, I was impressed by the build quality. Everything feels well made and the finish is attractive. I liked how the bottom knob is captive in the handle but drops down a good bit to enable cleaning.

Some minor annoyances: I'd prefer the setting knob to have detents to make it easier to align the collar with specific settings. I imagine that adding detents and aligning the indicator may make the razor more complicated and possibly less reliable; however, if it is possible, it would improve the usability for me. I also noticed that when I first installed the blade, the baseplate was not perfectly aligned--a gentle touch with my fingertip was enough to align everything; however, this type of finickiness drove me away from using adjustable (and some slant) razors. The thing I love about standard 3-piece stainless steel razors is how consistent and durable they are. Vintage Gillette razors always seemed fragile and inconsistent to me.

I prioritize smoothness in my razors, so I started shaving with the Rex just above the lowest setting. I shaved using a Polsilver SI blade. I was able to get a comfortable and close 2-pass shave. I repeated the shave during the remainder of the week with equally good shaves. The razor was always comfortable and I never felt the need to try shaving at higher settings. However, that brings me to another big reason why I wouldn't buy an adjustable razor--I always shave with a single setting, so the adjustability feature would be lost on me. I've already found other razors that are just as smooth and comfortable for me.

Thanks to @GlazedBoker for making the Rex razor available and running the pass-around. I appreciate the opportunity to try this razor. It was a nice razor but I don't think it offered a shave that was significantly better than other razors I already own. But I do think it's a good razor to have in the marketplace since it fills a gap that some would appreciate.
Great review! As a reader I appreciate the honesty about the things that you don't care for.

I am amazed that this is still going strong! It not only attests to the generosity of the threads found, @GlazedBoker , but also to the members of Badger & Blade. This forum has the greatest folks on the internet.

Ok, I've resisted so far, but my curiosity has gotten the better of me. I'm interested in joining the reserve list if you're planning to keep this going a bit longer, Gus.

My time with the Rex has come to an end. First, special thanks to Gus, @GlazedBoker for an opportunity to join the tour, many many months after it's inception. I agree with @emwolf , the generosity found in this thread amongst others makes B&B one of the best places on the internet.

Things I like:

-
A brushed stainless look, slightly utilitarian. This razor has now seen I don't know how many users and shaves, but it still looks new. A testament to the fine folks on B&B for taking care of someone elses property but also kudos to Rex for the finish. It isn't a highly polished razor and doesn't try to be. That's okay.

-Further, I like the two piece design over the butterfly, and the fact that the blade edges are covered. Overall, it seems to be an adjustable razor that for all intents and purposes has very few moving parts (a good thing) while being easy to clean.

-Handle: Terrific length, and the best knurling I've experienced on a razor.

Don't like:

-Safety bar has some "rocking movement" side to side, especially at higher settings. This causes the blade alignment to be off. A simple push up with the thumb is all that's needed to right the ship, and it's unknown based on my limited use if alignment fluctuated during the shave. The safety bar is attached to the dial collar and there's some play in it allowing the bar to rock side to side. It's unknown to me whether this has developed after dozens of uses, if it shipped this way, or if it's a design flaw. Regardless, I don't feel it negatively impacted the shave.

-Lack of blade support: I have a thick, coarse beard and have the most success with razors of a "rigid design", where the blade is clamped close to the edge. The Rex is not one of them. My ATG passes with the Rex struggled and I suspect this was at least part of the cause.

-Price: I'm a proud owner of expensive razors. The Rex to me is a $200 razor and not $250. The quality of materials and the adjustable nature of it were a noble effort and I would imagine over time it's makers will find efficiencies in the manufacture process. Personally, I'm not a buyer until it's sub $200.

The Shaves:

Typically shaving every day, I began shave one on a day and a half growth and a setting of 4. All shaves are three passes WTG, XTG and finally ATG. For my first shave using setting 4 ATG and XTG, I found the Rex to be exceptionally efficient, having a very "blade forward" feel, similar to that of using an open comb razor. For the final pass I lowered the setting to a 2 and finished up with an excellent result.

Subsequent shaves on daily growth I found my sweet spot for the setting to be between 2 and 3, never needing to go above. All passes WTG and XTG were very efficient. Where the Rex struggled for me versus my other favorite razors was the against-the-grain pass. This was consistently rough and the razor seemed to struggle a bit. The result of the shaves were not poor and my skin remained in good condition, but I feel the lack of blade support is an issue here for my face. Generally, I did not find this razor to be especially "smooth" on the face.

Final Thoughts:

I am on the fence about whether I'd purchase one. As mentioned above, I think a price point of sub $200 would be required. The shaves, frankly, were very good. Limited irritation and lasting closeness. But they weren't all that enjoyable as compared to my favorites as a result of the lack of "smoothness" and blade feel the razor provides. This is all personal preference, applicable to me. Others who are more accustomed to OC razors and the preference of blade feel would likely appreciate more what the Rex has to offer. I applaud Rex for taking a bold step in designing and producing this razor. I would imagine we'll see more like it in the future as a result of it's apparant success, which is a terrific result.

Last edited:
My time with the Rex has come to an end. First, special thanks to Gus, @GlazedBoker for an opportunity to join the tour, many many months after it's inception. I agree with @emwolf , the generosity found in this thread amongst others makes B&B one of the best places on the internet.

Things I like:

-
A brushed stainless look, slightly utilitarian. This razor has now seen I don't know how many users and shaves, but it still looks new. A testament to the fine folks on B&B for taking care of someone elses property but also kudos to Rex for the finish. It isn't a highly polished razor and doesn't try to be. That's okay.

-Further, I like the two piece design over the butterfly, and the fact that the blade edges are covered. Overall, it seems to be an adjustable razor that for all intents and purposes has very few moving parts (a good thing) while being easy to clean.

Don't like:

-Safety bar has some "rocking movement" side to side, especially at higher settings. This causes the blade alignment to be off. A simple push up with the thumb is all that's needed to right the ship, and it's unknown based on my limited use if alignment fluctuated during the shave. The safety bar is attached to the dial collar and there's some play in it allowing the bar to rock side to side. It's unknown to me whether this has developed after dozens of uses, if it shipped this way, or if it's a design flaw. Regardless, I don't feel it negatively impacted the shave.

-Lack of blade support: I have a thick, coarse beard and have the most success with razors of a "rigid design", where the blade is clamped close to the edge. The Rex is not one of them. My ATG passes with the Rex struggled and I suspect this was at least part of the cause.

-Price: I'm a proud owner of expensive razors. The Rex to me is a $200 razor and not $250. The quality of materials and the adjustable nature of it were a noble effort and I would imagine over time it's makers will find efficiencies in the manufacture process. Personally, I'm not a buyer until it's sub $200.

The Shaves:

Typically shaving every day, I began shave one on a day and a half growth and a setting of 4. All shaves are three passes WTG, XTG and finally ATG. For my first shave using setting 4 ATG and XTG, I found the Rex to be exceptionally efficient, having a very "blade forward" feel, similar to that of using an open comb razor. For the final pass I lowered the setting to a 2 and finished up with an excellent result.

Subsequent shaves on daily growth I found my sweet spot for the setting to be between 2 and 3, never needing to go above. All passes WTG and XTG were very efficient. Where the Rex struggled for me versus my other favorite razors was the against-the-grain pass. This was consistently rough and the razor seemed to struggle a bit. The result of the shaves were not poor and my skin remained in good condition, but I feel the lack of blade support is an issue here for my face. Generally, I did not find this razor to be especially "smooth" on the face.

Final Thoughts:

I am on the fence about whether I'd purchase one. As mentioned above, I think a price point of sub $200 would be required. The shaves, frankly, were very good. Limited irritation and lasting closeness. But they weren't all that enjoyable as compared to my favorites as a result of the lack of "smoothness" and blade feel the razor provides. This is all personal preference, applicable to me. Others who are more accustomed to OC razors and the preference of blade feel would likely appreciate more what the Rex has to offer. I applaud Rex for taking a bold step in designing and producing this razor. I would imagine we'll see more like it in the future as a result of it's apparant success, which is a terrific result.
+1 Excellent review. Thank You

Things I like:

-

Don't like:

The Shaves:

Final Thoughts:

As good as it gets. Well done...... :thumbup1:

Top Bottom