What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

I would love to try the Rex Ambassador if you've got room for one more. I did participate in the last passaround as well.

proxy.php

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor
2. @Dave in KY
3. @Graydog
4. @NJDJ
5. @JTshaves
6. @ED3054
7. @Sharp_Obsession
8. @Keto

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262
2. @Grundi
3. @dezmil
4. @Clay S
5. @simon_zzz
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @Heron

2 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 20-22 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Reserve List:

1. @PJO
2. @Odenihy

3. @dfoulk
4. @Clark Finestead
5. @bobmsp

Get your shave on people..... :shaving:

Thanks for doing this awesome pass around Gus. I really enjoy my Rex and I am sure most will love the chance to try it out thanks to you.

Gentlemen, the razor has arrived soundly and so far one shave has been done. Let me say first off a major thanks to Gus, aka @GlazedBoker for hosting probably one of the most kingly DE razor passarounds ever. Thank you my good sir!! This type of generosity is what helps people make decisions and so far of the three razor passarounds I've participated in I ultimately ended up purchasing two razors because of it (Rockwell 6s; Parker Variant, both of which I still love)! Will this one be any different? Glad you asked! Let me tell you about it thus far with only one shave completed and more to come this week.

Initial Thoughts:
My initial thoughts are very positive, so much so that one may question the validity of my review with only one shave so far. But have you ever used a razor that once you started using, perhaps even before the shave was done, that you just knew it was going to be a phenomenal razor? I know @Esox has had that experience after the very first stroke! Well guys, this is such a razor for me! I have another thread opened titled How SMOOTH is the Rex Ambassador? In that thread I was seeking for the answer that I now know. I sort of had a feeling it would be and knew where to aim my expectations based on other people's feedback. But I needed to know for myself, and now I can confidently answer my own question--it is INCREDIBLY SMOOTH!! Holy smootherator is the smoothness of this thing smoothly smooth! What I mean by that is super-comfortable, easy to use, no irritation, not prone to biting, forgiving if technique is off, a mindless shaver, a cruise control type of razor, just so smooth and wonderful feeling both during and after the shave! At the right settings, the razors that I currently have that are like that are the Rockwell 6s/c, Karve, Parker Variant, and Slim on 6, all with either GSB or 7 o'clock blacks.

Razor Impressions:
I love the fact it is machined out of 316L stainless steel. It just exudes quality and robustness. That is one of the major things I like about this razor--not only the comfort level of use, but also the durability aspect. Instant heirloom quality that can be passed down for generations. I tend to like a weightier razor and I think this one just hits so many sweet spots--nice weight and balance, slimmer head profile for easy maneuverability, and excellent grippy pattern on the handle. It is also quite aesthetically pleasing as well. One thing I noticed is that the blade tabs are completely covered so there's no chance of nicking an earlobe or a nostril (some prefer such a design, I like it but don't have to have it). I think on this particular razor it works very well into the overall head design. Very nicely done. I also noticed that on the safety bar itself, there is a nice beveled angle that works very good together with the downward angle from the top cap. And I'm no expert on geometry, but I think the razors that I consider very "smooth and comfortable" all have that similar design element. The adjuster dial did not move during the shave and firmly stayed put. All of the laser engraving of the numbers and name are very cleanly done as well.

Shave Experience:
I typically do a 3 pass shave with very little buffing done only in a few tough spots. And it is always the XTG and ATG passes that reveal to me whether the razor is truly smooth or not for me. This one passed with flying colors! After lathering B&M Reserve Classic, I started on my right side and had the razor on setting 1. I did a full downward stroke to the bottom of my neck and I could tell this was a little too mild for me. So I turned the dial to setting 2 and repeated that same stroke. I kept it at 2 for the entire shave, and I must say that at the end it was mostly BBS everywhere except a couple tough places where it was a very good DFS I'd say. Absolutely no irritation, no warmness, no redness, nothing! It was sublime! With adjustables I like to start off low and then work my way up on the settings so in the next report I'll use the 2.5--3 setting. This first shave already has convinced me of what a fine shaver it is, and that was only on setting 2! This one definitely has the potential to be a den clearing machine that will leave other razors in the dust or to be sold off on the BST.

All I can say so far is two words-- I can say WOW and I can say it backwards! Like I said, some may question the validity of such a high praising review with only one use, but I have a feeling that this is one of those very good razors "that you just know" right from the get-go. More good shaves ahead!

2018-08-21 10.16.27.jpg

Oh boy, You sir and Gus are killing my wallet. Thanks for the initial review and very thorough. Looking forward to the rest.

Oh boy, You sir and Gus are killing my wallet. Thanks for the initial review and very thorough. Looking forward to the rest.

I know what you mean! Gus has much respect from me, but not so much with SWMBO! This time around I'm having to sell things off to build up a fund for the Rex.

Gentlemen, the razor has arrived soundly and so far one shave has been done. Let me say first off a major thanks to Gus, aka @GlazedBoker for hosting probably one of the most kingly DE razor passarounds ever. Thank you my good sir!! This type of generosity is what helps people make decisions and so far of the three razor passarounds I've participated in I ultimately ended up purchasing two razors because of it (Rockwell 6s; Parker Variant, both of which I still love)! Will this one be any different? Glad you asked! Let me tell you about it thus far with only one shave completed and more to come this week.

Initial Thoughts:
My initial thoughts are very positive, so much so that one may question the validity of my review with only one shave so far. But have you ever used a razor that once you started using, perhaps even before the shave was done, that you just knew it was going to be a phenomenal razor? I know @Esox has had that experience after the very first stroke! Well guys, this is such a razor for me! I have another thread opened titled How SMOOTH is the Rex Ambassador? In that thread I was seeking for the answer that I now know. I sort of had a feeling it would be and knew where to aim my expectations based on other people's feedback. But I needed to know for myself, and now I can confidently answer my own question--it is INCREDIBLY SMOOTH!! Holy smootherator is the smoothness of this thing smoothly smooth! What I mean by that is super-comfortable, easy to use, no irritation, not prone to biting, forgiving if technique is off, a mindless shaver, a cruise control type of razor, just so smooth and wonderful feeling both during and after the shave! At the right settings, the razors that I currently have that are like that are the Rockwell 6s/c, Karve, Parker Variant, and Slim on 6, all with either GSB or 7 o'clock blacks.

Razor Impressions:
I love the fact it is machined out of 316L stainless steel. It just exudes quality and robustness. That is one of the major things I like about this razor--not only the comfort level of use, but also the durability aspect. Instant heirloom quality that can be passed down for generations. I tend to like a weightier razor and I think this one just hits so many sweet spots--nice weight and balance, slimmer head profile for easy maneuverability, and excellent grippy pattern on the handle. It is also quite aesthetically pleasing as well. One thing I noticed is that the blade tabs are completely covered so there's no chance of nicking an earlobe or a nostril (some prefer such a design, I like it but don't have to have it). I think on this particular razor it works very well into the overall head design. Very nicely done. I also noticed that on the safety bar itself, there is a nice beveled angle that works very good together with the downward angle from the top cap. And I'm no expert on geometry, but I think the razors that I consider very "smooth and comfortable" all have that similar design element. The adjuster dial did not move during the shave and firmly stayed put. All of the laser engraving of the numbers and name are very cleanly done as well.

Shave Experience:
I typically do a 3 pass shave with very little buffing done only in a few tough spots. And it is always the XTG and ATG passes that reveal to me whether the razor is truly smooth or not for me. This one passed with flying colors! After lathering B&M Reserve Classic, I started on my right side and had the razor on setting 1. I did a full downward stroke to the bottom of my neck and I could tell this was a little too mild for me. So I turned the dial to setting 2 and repeated that same stroke. I kept it at 2 for the entire shave, and I must say that at the end it was mostly BBS everywhere except a couple tough places where it was a very good DFS I'd say. Absolutely no irritation, no warmness, no redness, nothing! It was sublime! With adjustables I like to start off low and then work my way up on the settings so in the next report I'll use the 2.5--3 setting. This first shave already has convinced me of what a fine shaver it is, and that was only on setting 2! This one definitely has the potential to be a den clearing machine that will leave other razors in the dust or to be sold off on the BST.

All I can say so far is two words-- I can say WOW and I can say it backwards! Like I said, some may question the validity of such a high praising review with only one use, but I have a feeling that this is one of those very good razors "that you just know" right from the get-go. More good shaves ahead!

View attachment 906480

Terrific review!

QUESTION: If you also happen to have a Karve in your stable, could you possibly at some point compare the two razors? I ask only because the Karve is another hot razor with a “smooth” reputation (and a Karve should be heading my way today, if the shipping schedule is to be believed). I realize it is sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison because the Rex is an adjustable. But as long as you are out there experimenting. . . .

Patti

UPDATE- 8/21/18
Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (in hand testing)
2. @Dave in KY (on deck)
3. @Graydog (in the hole)
4. @NJDJ
5. @JTshaves
6. @ED3054
7. @Sharp_Obsession
8. @Keto

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262
2. @Grundi
3. @dezmil
4. @Clay S
5. @simon_zzz
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @Heron

2 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 20-22 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Reserve List:

1. @PJO
2. @Odenihy
3. @dfoulk
4. @Clark Finestead
5. @bobmsp
6. @DCRIII

Get your shave on Gents..... :shaving:

Terrific review!

QUESTION: If you also happen to have a Karve in your stable, could you possibly at some point compare the two razors? I ask only because the Karve is another hot razor with a “smooth” reputation (and a Karve should be heading my way today, if the shipping schedule is to be believed). I realize it is sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison because the Rex is an adjustable. But as long as you are out there experimenting. . . .

Patti

I'll try to do a comparison between the Rex & Karve after my time with it is through. I do really like both of them though in terms of smoothness.

My Son had the same experience when he used my Rex after one shave he had to get one and he said it was beacause it was so smooth. Great first impression review

Top Bottom