What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

Sorry for posting this late. 2nd shave was actually last night.

And... it was a brutal one. One of the worst shaves in a while.
proxy.php

• 2 days growth
  • Pass 1 WTG: Setting 2.5
  • Pass 2 XTG: Setting 2
  • Pass 3 XTG/ATG: Setting 2
Thoughts: To me, this one would be considered a bad shave because of 3 weepers, which I haven't gotten in a long time. Actually had to break out the alum block that hasn't seen any action for several months.

Overall, all passes felt harsh. Blade feel was high.

The next shave might be with a different blade (Derby Extra? Voskhod? Personna Lab Blue?). Or, might give the face an extra day of rest before another shave.

Sorry for posting this late. 2nd shave was actually last night.

And... it was a brutal one. One of the worst shaves in a while.
proxy.php

• 2 days growth
  • Pass 1 WTG: Setting 2.5
  • Pass 2 XTG: Setting 2
  • Pass 3 XTG/ATG: Setting 2
Thoughts: To me, this one would be considered a bad shave because of 3 weepers, which I haven't gotten in a long time. Actually had to break out the alum block that hasn't seen any action for several months.

Overall, all passes felt harsh. Blade feel was high.

The next shave might be with a different blade (Derby Extra? Voskhod? Personna Lab Blue?). Or, might give the face an extra day of rest before another shave.

Yes, an extra day or two to for your face to heal & whiskers to grow sounds like a good move. Then I might start at 2 or 1.75 for all passes.

12/22/18

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (in hand testing)
6. @Feynmansbongos (on deck)
7. @emwolf (in the hole)
8. @Odenihy

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk
2. @Clark Finestead
3. @bobmsp
4. @DCRIII
5. @dmshaver
6. @Mataddor
7. @mozartman
8. @boilerphan

Reserve List:
1. @Ray Settanta
2. @cyberdog
3. @CzechCzar
4. @Cut Throat
5. @herbert7890
6. @JWK1
7. @amateriat

Get your shave on people...... :shaving:

Yes, an extra day or two to for your face to heal & whiskers to grow sounds like a good move. Then I might start at 2 or 1.75 for all passes.

Yea, probably going to give it another day. Also, will take that advice to drop the setting even further.

Thinking back, I may have been a little too confident with the second shave since the first shave was pretty good. Gonna slow it down as well.

3rd shave was actually the night before: I didn't give it an extra full day because I realized I have limited time with the razor and could squeeze in an extra shave before having to send it out.

The comfort of this particular shave was back on track after a not-so-pleasant shave two days earlier.
proxy.php

• 2 days growth
  • Pass 1 WTG: Setting 2
  • Pass 2 XTG: Setting 1.75
  • Pass 3 XTG/ATG: Setting 1.75
Thoughts: Dropped the settings throughout and the shave was much less harsh -- no weepers or nicks. This is the last shave with the GSB -- going to use a Personna Lab Blue next. First time using the glissant base (?) via the Hallows sample and I think it lacks something in comparison to the Reserve line...

3rd shave was actually the night before: I didn't give it an extra full day because I realized I have limited time with the razor and could squeeze in an extra shave before having to send it out.

The comfort of this particular shave was back on track after a not-so-pleasant shave two days earlier.
proxy.php

• 2 days growth
  • Pass 1 WTG: Setting 2
  • Pass 2 XTG: Setting 1.75
  • Pass 3 XTG/ATG: Setting 1.75
Thoughts: Dropped the settings throughout and the shave was much less harsh -- no weepers or nicks. This is the last shave with the GSB -- going to use a Personna Lab Blue next. First time using the glissant base (?) via the Hallows sample and I think it lacks something in comparison to the Reserve line...

Regarding the soap, I agree completely! Reserve is absolutely top tier for me.

12/26/18

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (in hand testing)
6. @Feynmansbongos (on deck)
7. @emwolf (in the hole)
8. @Odenihy

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk
2. @Clark Finestead
3. @bobmsp
4. @DCRIII
5. @dmshaver
6. @Mataddor
7. @mozartman
8. @boilerphan

Reserve List:
1. @Ray Settanta
2. @cyberdog
3. @CzechCzar
4. @Cut Throat
5. @herbert7890
6. @JWK1
7. @amateriat
8. @valthun

Get your shave on people...... :shaving:

Had to get the Rex in today as it has been a while since my last shave with it. Just an excellent 2.5 pass shave that left my face super smooth and hardly any irritation at all. A real easy BBS finish with this razor. A good slick and cushiony lather and it’s a wrap. I’ve learned not to go over twice on the same spot without re-lathering. Remember that and it’s smooth sailing with the Rex.

0270A47B-0CD5-4A9A-8194-9626ACA11ADD.jpeg

The X-mas shave (last shave with the Rex):

proxy.php

• 2 days growth
  • Pass 1 WTG: Setting 1.75
  • Pass 2 XTG: Setting 1.5
  • Pass 3 XTG/ATG: Setting 1.5
Thoughts: Probably the most comfortable shave so far with the Rex. I assume it is the combo of the lower settings plus a blade that's not too sharp.

Overall, the Rex is a high-quality razor. It just doesn't provide the super smooth shave that I get with the Rockwell 6S.

Glad to have had the opportunity to try it out though!

The razor has been cleaned with a bit of soap and a soft-bristle brush, then swished in some alcohol. It is on the way to @Feynmansbongos plus a sample soap/splash set from Oz Shaving added to the goodies.

The X-mas shave (last shave with the Rex):

proxy.php

• 2 days growth
  • Pass 1 WTG: Setting 1.75
  • Pass 2 XTG: Setting 1.5
  • Pass 3 XTG/ATG: Setting 1.5
Thoughts: Probably the most comfortable shave so far with the Rex. I assume it is the combo of the lower settings plus a blade that's not too sharp.

Overall, the Rex is a high-quality razor. It just doesn't provide the super smooth shave that I get with the Rockwell 6S.

Glad to have had the opportunity to try it out though!

The razor has been cleaned with a bit of soap and a soft-bristle brush, then swished in some alcohol. It is on the way to @Feynmansbongos plus a sample soap/splash set from Oz Shaving added to the goodies.

Good stuff amigo. Thank you for participating and posting your thoughts. Excellent write ups.....

As a child in the 90’s I was warned at school to never share a razor and to always be weary of strangers on the internet. Now in my 30’s I find myself sharing razors with strangers on the internet...On to the review!

Everything arrived packaged neatly in the box and there are definitely a few samples I’m going to try. There was unfortunately a minor aftershave leak so I was greeted with a strong pumpkin blast when I opened the box.

For my first shave I wanted to stick with something familiar and try to start on a more mild setting.

Soap: Razorock Plague Doctor
Splash: Razorock Plague Doctor
Setting: 2
Blade: New GSB
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket

Not pictured: Thayer’s Witch Hazel, PAA Ice Preshave, and one scornful wife

My initial impression was that the craftsmanship was beyond reproach. It feels solid and comfortable in the hand. It has some weight to it but it’s impeccably balanced.

I lathered up and went through my standard two pass shave. I know I’m in the minority but I’ve found what works for me is one pass down and one pass up, nothing fancier than that. That works out on me to be WTG/ATG on my face and chin and XTG/XTG on my neck.

This thing absolutely devours lather leaving nothing in its wake. I had about 3 days growth anticipating this shave and I was shocked by how smooth and efficient it was. On the second pass I started to feel a bit uncomfortable and a slightly more intense burn from the splash indicated that I had irritated my neck a bit. I do think this is due mostly to getting used to the razor and old habits.

Overall I’d say it was a great shave and I’m really looking forward to the next few with the Rex.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a child in the 90’s I was warned at school to never share a razor and to always be weary of strangers on the internet. Now in my 30’s I find myself sharing razors with strangers on the internet...On to the review!

Everything arrived packaged neatly in the box and there are definitely a few samples I’m going to try. There was unfortunately a minor aftershave leak so I was greeted with a strong pumpkin blast when I opened the box.

For my first shave I wanted to stick with something familiar and try to start on a more mild setting.

Soap: Razorock Plague Doctor
Splash: Razorock Plague Doctor
Blade: New GSB

Not pictured: Thayer’s Witch Hazel, PAA Ice Preshave, and one scornful wife

My initial impression was that the craftsmanship was beyond reproach. It feels solid and comfortable in the hand. It has some weight to it but it’s impeccably balanced.

I lathered up and went through my standard two pass shave. I know I’m in the minority but I’ve found what works for me is one pass down and one pass up, nothing fancier than that. That works out on me to be WTG/ATG on my face and chin and XTG/XTG on my neck.

This thing absolutely devours lather leaving nothing in its wake. I had about 3 days growth anticipating this shave and I was shocked by how smooth and efficient it was. On the second pass I started to feel a bit uncomfortable and a slightly more intense burn from the splash indicated that I had irritated my neck a bit. I do think this is due mostly to getting used to the razor and old habits.

Overall I’d say it was a great shave and I’m really looking forward to the next few with the Rex.
proxy.php

Great post and pic.... :thumbup1:

For my second shave I wanted to keep the same setup to see how well the Rex can adjust to different soaps. I was happy to see the leviathan sample as B&M hasn’t worked well with my hard water in the past and I’ve never been particularly happy with the slickness.

Soap: B&M Leviathan
Splash: Thayers Lavender
Blade: GSB

I smeared some Leviathan into my sample dish and lathered up. I hadn’t used Leviathan before but it was on the list of scents I’ve been wanting to try and it didn’t disappoint. I loved the scent and it actually lathered better than the B&M I’ve tried in the past.

The shave was uneventful which is normally a good thing when it comes to dragging a razor across your face. I noticed what others have mentioned before, the lather clearing and the slight drag. I believe this was the source of the irritation during my first shave. I have a tendency to overlap my strokes a bit, but with the Rex there doesn’t seem to be enough residual slickness for overlap. It may have also been more noticeable this time since I didn’t use a preshave.

I forced myself to slow down and make sure I wasn’t hitting any spots without lather. That seemed to prevent the irritation for the most part.

One thing i noticed after both shaves was that I had remaining stubble in a few known problem areas. Not surprising given the mild setting and that I’m only making two passes. My next shave I plan to up the level a few notches and see how I do with a more aggressive setting.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

For my second shave I wanted to keep the same setup to see how well the Rex can adjust to different soaps. I was happy to see the leviathan sample as B&M hasn’t worked well with my hard water in the past and I’ve never been particularly happy with the slickness.

Soap: B&M Leviathan
Splash: Thayers Lavender
Blade: GSB

I smeared some Leviathan into my sample dish and lathered up. I hadn’t used Leviathan before but it was on the list of scents I’ve been wanting to try and it didn’t disappoint. I loved the scent and it actually lathered better than the B&M I’ve tried in the past.

The shave was uneventful which is normally a good thing when it comes to dragging a razor across your face. I noticed what others have mentioned before, the lather clearing and the slight drag. I believe this was the source of the irritation during my first shave. I have a tendency to overlap my strokes a bit, but with the Rex there doesn’t seem to be enough residual slickness for overlap. It may have also been more noticeable this time since I didn’t use a preshave.

I forced myself to slow down and make sure I wasn’t hitting any spots without lather. That seemed to prevent the irritation for the most part.

One thing i noticed after both shaves was that I had remaining stubble in a few known problem areas. Not surprising given the mild setting and that I’m only making two passes. My next shave I plan to up the level a few notches and see how I do with a more aggressive setting.

proxy.php
Great review!!

As you move up to a more aggressive setting, the Rex's infinite adjustment really helps you find a setting that's still mild enough but helps in those problem areas. Love the infinite adjustability.

For residual slickness, the Rex does remove quite a bit with each pass. I found that Williams went toe-to-toe nicely with the Rex.

Top Bottom