What's new

Rex Ambassador: Does anybody NOT love it?

So, I got a new Rex for a good price a few weeks ago. I think I've used it 5 times with a couple of different blades.

I'm usually not on the fence this long after acquisition. There's something about the geometry that's causing me to catch the corner of the blade on my lip. I've never had this happen with anything else. It seems to shave fine, but I have tons of stuff that doesn't give me this challenge.

All that said, I think I want to keep giving it a chance, but I'm not sure when to let go, and move on.

Did any of you sell yours, and did you regret it or not?

Giving the top cap. A nice hand polish helped a bit. I found that lower settings are still really efficient. Finding the angle took quite a few shaves, and my lather needs to be very wet. However, the Rex is easily one of my best shavers and I’m glad I took the time to learn it.

Perhaps try setting 1.5 or 2 for a few shaves and see how it goes.

Giving the top cap. A nice hand polish helped a bit. I found that lower settings are still really efficient. Finding the angle took quite a few shaves, and my lather needs to be very wet. However, the Rex is easily one of my best shavers and I’m glad I took the time to learn it.

Perhaps try setting 1.5 or 2 for a few shaves and see how it goes.

Good tips! Planning on it. I think I noticed more problems when I went from 2 to 3. I guess I didn't consider going lower than 2. :lol:

I don’t know what the blade gaps are, but 2 on the Rex feels like: plate 4 on my 6s, setting 5 on my Fatboy, and the Karve C plate.

2.4 or so WTG and 1.5 ATG seems to be my sweet spot. I can shave on 3 if careful, anything past that is too much! I am sure the super aggressive razor guys like the higher settings.

As I never had used a Rex before take my advice with a little grain of salt... If it was me —>“There's something about the geometry that's causing me to catch the corner of the blade on my lip.”... That would be an immediate red flag and look for another DE razor Asap. No DE razor is worth catching the lip, just my 2 cents. There are far better razors out there I’m sure.

As I never had used a Rex before take my advice with a little grain of salt... If it was me —>“There's something about the geometry that's causing me to catch the corner of the blade on my lip.”... That would be an immediate red flag and look for another DE razor Asap. No DE razor is worth catching the lip, just my 2 cents. There are far better razors out there I’m sure.

Fwiw, I’m auditioning it in the office sans blade, and I think it’s actually the corner of the top cap catching me. So I guess that’s better than the blade.

And of course I can’t edit the op.

Fwiw, I’m auditioning it in the office sans blade, and I think it’s actually the corner of the top cap catching me. So I guess that’s better than the blade.

And of course I can’t edit the op.
That’s a big difference if it’s the top cap catching the lip. Hopefully you can get it to work for you. It’s definitely quite the challenge even with the top cap being the problem. I hope you find a strategy as it sounds very annoying to say the least.

I purchased a REX during its initial release, had several issues which Matt addressed by sending me a new razor after several attempts to fix the issues. The N series had none of the problems I had with my initial one, but level 3 was not efficient enough for me to get a consistent 3 pass BBS and when I dialed to 4 the shave lost a lot of its smoothness. I may not have used it long enough, but this was my experience.

Interesting that you should post this thread today, as I just sold my Rex last week after only owning it for a short time. I really, really wanted to the like it, as it is such a cool, beautifully built razor. Unfortunately, I just could not get a comfortable shave with it, even on the lower numbers. Too much blade feel for my taste, I think. So, I moved it on and replaced it with a Timeless SS .95SB. Wow! I’ve only had a couple shaves with it, but right out of the gates, I find the Timeless to be a smooth shaving razor, and very efficient. Despite my best efforts, the Rex was just not a good fit for me.

Interesting that you should post this thread today, as I just sold my Rex last week after only owning it for a short time. I really, really wanted to the like it, as it is such a cool, beautifully built razor. Unfortunately, I just could not get a comfortable shave with it, even on the lower numbers. Too much blade feel for my taste, I think. So, I moved it on and replaced it with a Timeless SS .95SB. Wow! I’ve only had a couple shaves with it, but right out of the gates, I find the Timeless to be a smooth shaving razor, and very efficient. Despite my best efforts, the Rex was just not a good fit for me.

Funny thing, I’m getting ready to sell a timeless .95 because there isn’t enough blade feel.

I’m giving Rex another shot in the morning with a new Gillette blue platinum.

Funny thing, I’m getting ready to sell a timeless .95 because there isn’t enough blade feel.

Too funny. I guess that’s what makes markets (much less overused saying than YMMV).

Yeah, I thought about that, but if a razor that’s adjustable from 1-6 only works for me on 1 or 1.5, well, it’s just not the razor for me.
If it helps I use mine at 1.5 when I do a 3 pass shave, or 4.5 when I just do a single WTG pass. I wouldn't go ATG on higher settings since the blade feel is too much for me.

Yeah, I thought about that, but if a razor that’s adjustable from 1-6 only works for me on 1 or 1.5, well, it’s just not the razor for me.

Don't forget about the 6.5 setting! That's what I've used every time I've used my Rex. I enjoy it very much. We're all different.

I am in the same boat, in that i tried to love my N3 Rex but i couldn't get a smooth comfortable shave. The better shaves were when the dial was set at its lowest possible but for the price, i moved it on for a Karve, which i am 100% happy with. Hey i even bought the Stainless Steel one too!

I don't regret selling the Rex at all. Its now owned by a semi-popular Youtuber actually. He loves it and it goes to show YMMV after all.

Have you tried a Kai blade in your timeless? It's my go-to, it might worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.

I love my adjustables so when the Rex came out I followed its development closely and decided to find a Gibbs. Well I never even tried the Rex as I love my Gibbs adjustable as it works great for me.

So, I took everyone's advice, and rocked it on 1.5 or so. It definitely changed the feel big time. The blade exposure seems lower. More like a Rockwell. It made for a more pleasurable shave. I still haven't decided to sell yet, but today gives me hope it may stay.

proxy.php

Top Bottom