What's new

Showdown: Pearl Flexi vs Rex Ambassador

Shave-Off today. Pearl Flexi vs Rex Amabassador

2nd use Voskhod blade, Proraso White, and my 26mm synthetic Harlequin brush.

I haven't used the Flexi for a while, so decided to do a shave-off between it and the Ambassador. I alternated the same blade between the razors, and had both set to 3 for the WTG pass and then dropped down to 2 for the XTG and clean-ups - my normal routine and settings for these razors.

The Flexi is so much heavier than the Ambassador, and that weight is all in the handle. The two razors therefore feel extremely different despite their similar designs and head geometry. I found myself being much more tentative with the Flexi, especially around my chin, and the blade feel on 3 was noticeably more than with the Ambassador.

The Ambassador is smoother and better balanced. It feels less clumsy than the Flexi, and easier and more comfortable to use. Despite the handling differences, no real difference in closeness after the first pass. On the XTG pass, and on setting 2, the Flexi was smoother, but more fight against gravity still made it feel unwieldy, and I nicked myself going across the top lip. Not badly, but akin to other nicks I've had from the Flexi. Mine doesn't have the blade alignment issues the earlier models had, but the balance is so much different to all my other razors, it's just not comfortable to use when doing upstrokes or cross strokes.

The Ambassador did a fine job on the second pass. No nicks or complaints. The Flexi feels more aggressive to me on 3, although on setting 2, I didn't perceive one to be more aggressive than the other.

In terms of shave quality, the razors are comparable. In terms of handling, very different, and my preference is for the Ambassador, simply because it has much better balance and is lighter. Both razors are solidly built, and I think the Flexi offers extremely good value for money. But having experience with lots of different razors now, I know what I like to have in my hand - and it's something that's well-balanced and a little on the lighter side.

So the Ambassador earns its rotation place, while sadly the Flexi must drop out, unless I'm really in the mood for something weighing the same as a girder.

IMG_0478 Large.jpeg

Nice comparison shave. I have always heard that the Ambassador is much more blade forward than the Flexi, and that, there ore, the Flexi is actually smoother. I take it that wasn't your experience. I guess it is mostly because of the weight of the Flexi.

Nice comparison shave. I have always heard that the Ambassador is much more blade forward than the Flexi, and that, there ore, the Flexi is actually smoother. I take it that wasn't your experience. I guess it is mostly because of the weight of the Flexi.
Thank you. All mileages will vary, and I know some people prefer the Flexi over the Ambassador, largely because of the weight. Use what's right for you!

Interesting review, I only have the Rex and not a Flexi, and the Rex has a significant amount of blade feel compared to many other razors. I'm surprised the Flexi has more, as the possible misconception is it's a bit milder than the Rex. Blade feel or not, it does deliver great shaves. Once OCtober is finished, I'll have mine back into the rotation, possibly even as early as 11/01.

The blade feel may be different between the two razors on higher settings. Definitely more blade feel for the Flexi on 3, but on 2, no difference between Flexi or Ambassador. This feel may be reversed on higher settings, so the impression some have regarding the Flexi could well be correct.

Interesting read, I have experienced it the other way around. The Flexi had quite alot less blade feel to me. I did use both razors on the upper end of their adjustment wheel. Can't recall if the lower settings turned things around, but it almost seems unlogical.

Seeing those two next to eachother really shames the Flexi though, I really hate that satin look.

I liked both my Flexi and my Ambassador's performance. But I haven't lost sleep over selling the Pearl. Seeing the Ambassador in pictures always causes me heartache. It's the one that got away for me. I still dream about her and will continue to tell everyone just how great it is.

Dont let it go!

Good review! I've been interested in the flexi but the QC issues have put me off every time its in my cart. I do love a chunky razor though

From my experience, Pearl QC seems to be quite good. I have their Flexi, Blaze, and Hammer razors. All three seem spot on in terms of quality as well as fit and finish.

I enjoy the Flexi. It's hefty and gives a very nice shave.

From my experience, Pearl QC seems to be quite good. I have their Flexi, Blaze, and Hammer razors. All three seem spot on in terms of quality as well as fit and finish.

I enjoy the Flexi. It's hefty and gives a very nice shave.
I'm not saying that all Pearl shaving razors aren't good quality, maybe I got an unlucky razor
However I was very disappointed

I know these are both Gibbs-style adjustables, but I don't think they deserve much direct comparison. One is a really blade-forward razor and one is much less so, not to mention one is stainless and one is brass. They're very different razors. I don't see a lot of comparisons between the Yaqi TFC and either of these others, although it's as much a contender as the others listed here after all. (That is, it's also a Gibbs-style adjustable razor with little else in common with the others.)

I was particularly turned off by Matt's (of Razor Emporium and Rex) review and comparison of the two. The absolute disrespect shown for his competition when he knocks over the Flexi is just really distasteful and if I didn't already have an Ambassador I likely wouldn't have purchased it after seeing that. I agree that the Ambassador is a better razor, but I don't like the ugliness on display in that video.

Last edited:
I know these are both Gibbs-style adjustables, but I don't think they deserve much direct comparison. One is a really blade-forward razor and one is much less so, not to mention one is stainless and one is brass. They're very different razors. I don't see a lot of comparisons between the Yaqi TFC and either of these others, although it's as much a contender as the others listed here after all. (That is, it's also a Gibbs-style adjustable razor with little else in common with the others.)

I was particularly turned off by Matt's (of Razor Emporium and Rex) review and comparison of the two. The absolute disrespect shown for his competition when he knocks over the Flexi is just really distasteful and if I didn't already have an Ambassador I likely wouldn't have purchased it after seeing that. I agree that the Ambassador is a better razor, but I don't like the ugliness on display in that video.
I also agree. Despite what Matt says, there's clearly some sour grapes in that review, and as I've said continually through my summary, the Flexi represents extremely good - nay phenomenal - value for money. You get a good razor (note that I don't dislike the Flexi; I just prefer razors with better balance), well-built, with a stand, and with 50 blades. The Willy's blades, despite the name, are actually pretty good, and get a frequent use in my Leaf razor for head shaves. I know the Flexi had alignment issues on earlier iterations, but these have been addressed in the later models. Mine came from Fendrihan, and they carry an assurance that the alignment issues have been rectified for the version they sell.

For the record, I picked up my Ambassador for CAD $175 from a Facebook offer, so it's pre-owned, but came in full original packaging, and barely used. It's an S4, so fourth quarter of last year. For the Pearl Flexi, I paid about CAD $80 from Fendrihan.

Yes I agree that the Flexi is a very good razor, but I must admit that I don't own one any longer. It's just too heavy for me, as I've been drifting toward lighter razors for a couple years now. I also prefer a more aggressive blade feel, so I didn't reach for it as often as I would have liked.

The Rex on the other hand, I did keep. It's a great razor, but what's interesting is that I received a serial number that's actually meaningful to me by pure chance. Even if I stop using the Ambassador entirely, I'm still keeping it because of the serial number. I know that might seem silly, and maybe it is. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom