What's new

Review Wholly Kaw Fern Concerto - Donkey Milk - Synthetic Menthol

You should have known it was coming! Anybody who I've talked to should know how much I love Wholly Kaw soap, so the reason I'm doing a review is because the synthetic menthol piqued my interest in this soap. I actually didn't own a tub of the standard tallow version but I did sniff it in a sample I ordered way back when. Side note, I actually plan on doing some reviews on some soaps I've been experimenting with recently, not oft talked about but certainly deserve the attention.

So here's the 'terms' of my review, I don't take scent into account what so ever, scent is as personal a thing as blades. I give some weight to lather as far as holding up, but I do not prefer 1 type of lather over another, meaning fluffy or dense or something in between. I give most of my weight to post shave feel numero uno and slickness second. Basically if the ends (post shave) justify the means (1 type of lather over another), I'm good.

To the review:
This was touted as a special release donkey milk version of the Fern Concerto, the kicker was it was made with synthetic menthol. You will still get the cooling effect of menthol but your eyes won't be watering, ok I've never even heard of synthetic menthol, I was interested. Could something possibly unseat my beloved Margaritas in the Arctic?

The prep:
Shower, soak brush, the usual

The gear:
0808172225.jpg

WK Fern Concerto donkey milk soap with synthetic menthol. Matching splash. Timeless .68 SC with dimpled handle loaded with a Gillette Platinum blade (2), Shavemac 26mm x 50mm 2016 ATG brush. Truth be told this brush is new to me and I am not familiar with it just yet, it did affect things a bit but no biggie. Fine Accoutrements lather bowl.

It begins:
With a soaked brush I squeezed out the excess water, gave it 1 shake and began my customary 30-40 sec load. I am not a heavy loader I don't like wasting my favorite products, ymmv. I had a good amount of proto lather to work with and I began my lather. I add water slow to WK, it has a finer water window than most of the artisans these days imo. I did push the lather a touch too far which I think the new brush was a factor, it is an insanely dense knot and held alot more water than I am accustomed to. Nevertheless, the lather came out nice n' creamy. I am a night shaver so without the aid of daylight it's hard to get that creamy sheen on the lather but I did my best, it's there!
0808172205.jpg

0808172206.jpg

The shave:
This brush hold a ton of lather! Swirled and painted on the lather and it was falling off in gobs. When it went on I began to feel the cooling sensation, eyes burning? Nope....as advertised. I am very familiar with this soap and it performed as I expected, very very slick, nick free, weeper free shave. 2 passes, BBS, it's a wrap.

Post shave:
This is where Wholly Kaw shines, over an hour later, no balm, no splash, no witch hazel, no nothing - I have no tightness what so ever and my skin feels absolutely radiant. It's hard to even describe, ever felt quality silk sheets? Yeah something like that....

Final thoughts:
This was advertised as primarily a soap with synthetic menthol that won't burn your eyes out of your skull. It delivered fully on that promise. I would guesstimate the menthol intensity is on par with Margaritas in the Arctic from Stirling. It is also a donkey milk release and I described how my skin felt. To use a scale this is most definitely a Tier 1 soap for me. (for refrence I like, own and use Nuavia, Mike's, L & L, Valobra, Saponificio Varesino, B & M, Stirling, experimenting with some others, etc) Did it unseat MITA as my favorite menthol? TBD, I got strep from my kids and my nose isn't functioning properly lol. Performance absolutely, scent, I need a few days to clear up my schnoz.

Hope this was helpful!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on this, I've been intrigued to see what the deal is on the product since I heard about the release.
To be honest I wasn't sure what the goal of synthetic menthol was: Cooling feel during the shave but not after? Cooling feel but no smell? Cooling smell with no feel? I'm not a huge menthol fan but have really been wanting to try out WK's stuff so this is just so darn interesting... glad to hear that you like it.

Thanks for the info on this, I've been intrigued to see what the deal is on the product since I heard about the release.
To be honest I wasn't sure what the goal of synthetic menthol was: Cooling feel during the shave but not after? Cooling feel but no smell? Cooling smell with no feel? I'm not a huge menthol fan but have really been wanting to try out WK's stuff so this is just so darn interesting... glad to hear that you like it.
The purpose of the synthetic menthol was to give the cooling effect of menthol minus the eye watering. It set out what it aimed to do

Fantastic review and one I've been curious about, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll do another review of another soap soon, taking a review night off so I can use my other new WK donkey offering, Dance of Agrumes. Both came yesterday and it was like trying to pick you favorite kid on which one to use but the synthetic menthol was pulling my curiosity strings too hard.

It was late when I posted this, but I am a huge fan of this synthetic menthol. It was nice and chilly and my eyes weren't watering through the shave which was a nice touch

Nice review, hope you feel better! WK soaps are top tier for sure. The lather has that shiny quality to it a lot like Turtleship soaps. I do wish some of the Wholly Kaw scents were a bit stronger but most scents are well blended and performance is excellent. Its good that they keep working on their formula to make the soap even better, more artisans should follow suit and keep trying to upgrade their product.

Nice review, hope you feel better! WK soaps are top tier for sure. The lather has that shiny quality to it a lot like Turtleship soaps. I do wish some of the Wholly Kaw scents were a bit stronger but most scents are well blended and performance is excellent. Its good that they keep working on their formula to make the soap even better, more artisans should follow suit and keep trying to upgrade their product.
If you ordered the Dance of Agrumes there shouldn't be any problems with scent strength! I like stronger soaps but I actually have no complaints with scent strength with most of WK soaps. There was only 1 I couldn't smell at all and it was Monaco Royale.

If you ordered the Dance of Agrumes there shouldn't be any problems with scent strength! I like stronger soaps but I actually have no complaints with scent strength with most of WK soaps. There was only 1 I couldn't smell at all and it was Monaco Royale.

Haven't had a chance to smell Dance Of Agrumes yet but it sounds like a nice scent. The WK lighter scents that come to mind are Washington's Blend and Spice Route, both were very light around a 3-10. Fougere Boquet is the strongest scent IMO and is a interesting mix of scents.

Haven't had a chance to smell Dance Of Agrumes yet but it sounds like a nice scent. The WK lighter scents that come to mind are Washington's Blend and Spice Route, both were very light around a 3-10. Fougere Boquet is the strongest scent IMO and is a interesting mix of scents.
Have to agree on Spice Route, I forgot all about that one. I actually like Washington's Blend where its at, I would put it about 6.5-7 on strength. Spice Route I would put around a 3

Another great review, DEdestroyer77. I've been loving the Man from Mayfair SE. Great face feel after the shave.

That's a good review and I will second your opinion on post shave being #1 on rating a soap. Hell, slickness doesn't even mean a whole lot to me as almost every soap is slick enough to shave with.

Top Bottom