What's new

Review: Le Savons des Volcans

I received my sample of this soap from Mark. I'd have to say I'm very impressed with it. Very good lather and skin care and provided an excellent shave.

Anyone know if it is possible to order a combination of sticks and refills at the prices they have at the bottom? Debating whether to use google translate or try to get a hold of someone that speaks French. Also, someone mentioned a price of under 12 euro delivered, but I'm seeing a price of 15.35 euro. Anyone know if they raised prices recently?

Lastly, and hoping not to hijack the thread, I read that someone said it compares favorably to PannaCrema, but can anyone compare to Calani?

Thanks Everyone!

I bought both the stick and the tub (menthe). Both hard (though the stick is harder). Wonderful scent and lather. A keeper in my rotation.

Anyone know if it is possible to order a combination of sticks and refills at the prices they have at the bottom? Debating whether to use google translate or try to get a hold of someone that speaks French. Also, someone mentioned a price of under 12 euro delivered, but I'm seeing a price of 15.35 euro. Anyone know if they raised prices recently?

Lastly, and hoping not to hijack the thread, I read that someone said it compares favorably to PannaCrema, but can anyone compare to Calani?

Thanks Everyone!
In face feel and texture, the PC and SdV are the most similar. Soft, moisturizing and creamy lather. The Calani is equally good, but not having used it for a while I can't recall the difference. Harder puck for sure and loads more slowly, but the lather has great staying power.

As for the scent, the SdV is earthier in that the menthol smells like mint and the cedar/lemon smells lemon whereas the Canali and PC are "inspired" scents and not directly connected to an identifiable smell. I find all of them excellent.

i ordered tubs and sticks individually. Google translate is your friend if you don't speak French.

In face feel and texture, the PC and SdV are the most similar. Soft, moisturizing and creamy lather. The Calani is equally good, but not having used it for a while I can't recall the difference. Harder puck for sure and loads more slowly, but the lather has great staying power.

As for the scent, the SdV is earthier in that the menthol smells like mint and the cedar/lemon smells lemon whereas the Canali and PC are "inspired" scents and not directly connected to an identifiable smell. I find all of them excellent.

i ordered tubs and sticks individually. Google translate is your friend if you don't speak French.
Many thanks Mark!

Quick Update: Yes, Good translate is definitely my friend. Just ordered 2 mint sticks, 3 citrus/cedar refills, and 3 rosemary/lavender refills to split with a couple buddies. Karine was so easy to deal with.

Last edited:
I received my sample of this soap from Mark. I'd have to say I'm very impressed with it. Very good lather and skin care and provided an excellent shave.

My sample from Mark is on deck tomorrow.

Going to lather the Donkey Soap with my Stupid Kent brush and report back tomorrow!

I got to use a sample that Mark sent me today...I went into the test blind and still don't know and will keep using it a few days before I check the cost and ingredients.

Not sure if it's tallow, lanolin, shea or veggie.

first off, it was very easy to lather. pressed my sample into a soap dish, loaded for 30sec with my Kent brush, over my scuttle and got lots of lather.

it did tend to get a bit airy and break down a bit from the hot brush scuttle, so tomorrrow i'll skip the heat and just use a dry scuttle or none at all. i made sure to use a drier brush, as was recommended and got great, thick, creamy 1st pass, but the next 2 needed a bit of work on my face to get those results (likely breakdown from scuttle).

As you can see in my last pic, even though it was a bit airy in the scuttle, it thickened right up when I face lathered it.

3 passes were irritation free, no nicks or cuts and the scent was very nice. Musty and minty, almost like toothpaste. not as nice as the NB minty scent, but pleasant and not synthetic or overpowering.

finished with some AI and walking thru the house, there was definite cooling and during the shave I could feel it as well.

here are some pics from day 1.

Ready to lather:
View attachment 327664

30 sec of loading
View attachment 327665

after pass 2
View attachment 327666

Last edited:
well, I just had my 2nd shave and read Marks initial post on his lathering and experience with it, and I am in the same boat.

I prefer my lather thick and creamy like Greek yogurt, but never got it in my 2 days with this soap until my last pass today. I squeezed my brush of all the lather in it, went at my sample with a near dry Kent brush for 20sec or so, and got thick and creamy lather for the final pass. Leaving almost no water in the brush, did leave the slickness down a bit, so it was a tradeoff.

the 2 shaves I got from this soap were excellent. even though i was using a drier brush, and loading for 30sec, i got lather for 3 passes and 1 left on face during sink cleanup. scent was great, minty and earthy/musty all at the same time. the lather on pass went on creamy, but a few places it would start to break down before I could shave over them. i still got an irritation free shave without having to reapply lather as it was still there, just not in it's initial state it had been put on in.

post shave feel was fantastic. cold rinse to the the last layer off and I could feel the tingly and coolness kicking in. reached for my 444 and AI, rubbed and applied. zero sting, but coolness after I left the room and walked down the hallway.

overall, it performed well, but I just can't get over the bubbly lather. I'm sure I'd be able to dial it in more if I had a tub, but for now, I'll leave this one out of my den in full tub form.

removing the scuttle from Day 1 helped, but the lather still broke down a bit, and I prefer my lather to hold plenty of water and go on creamy and stable.

Thanks again to Mark for sending a sample up to Canada. Even though it's snowing out today, April 21, I still enjoyed the menthol/cooling kick it gave me.

Mark, did you send Bruce a sample from the first or second batch?

The first batch wasn't great at all. Airy, bubbly, unremarkable lather similar to MWF for me. The soap was too soft and hadn't been allowed to cure long enough.

The second batch on the other hand performs much better than the first.

Mark, did you send Bruce a sample from the first or second batch?

The first batch wasn't great at all. Airy, bubbly, unremarkable lather similar to MWF for me. The soap was too soft and hadn't been allowed to cure long enough.

The second batch on the other hand performs much better than the first.

I'm not sure and wasn't aware of batches. I was advised to put mine in the fridge when I got it, as when it landed it was very soft and moushy.

The plot thickens....

This was from the second batch, not from the first. When I shipped it up to Bruce, the weather here was quite hot and hence the suggest that he chill it before trying to take it out of the wax paper I'd wrapped it in.

I think Bruce's review was spot on though I hadn't noticed the degradation in lather. I've taken up straight shaving and when my attention wanders, I tend to cut myself and so I wouldn't notice if the lather dried out unusually quickly.

But you're right, Matt. I think the first batch was different from the second though that could be a matter of perception as well.

It still shaved fine and as i said, post shave feel and cooling was very pleasant.

I know straight razor guys like a thinner lather, so it might be better for those.

I havent played around with too many soaps that are not fully established and done all the testing.

This one was good, but not one that would makes its way into my den yet.

So, got a few uses in. So far, I've used the mint stick 3 times and the rosemary/lavender once. I'll agree with the moisturizing comments that have already been made, very moisturizing and keeps my face soft.

Finally hit the lather sweet spot today with the rosemary/lavender. I'd pressed the puck into a round plastic container (the ones with the snap-click lids). A little bit of water on top of the puck while I got ready. Shook out water from the brush (Rudy Vey R7 with 24/49 D01 2-band) that had been soaking. Poured the water from the soap into the bowl. Loaded with the almost dry brush. After about 30 seconds, began mixing in the bowl and produced that thick, yogurty lather that has a shimmering/sparkling almost reflective quality to it. Enough for 4 passes and more.

Up tomorror, mandarin/cedar...

For those thinking about ordering, the mint stick and mint refill puck are different types of mint. Stick is spearmint (like wrigley's gum), whereas puck is peppermint.

I am confused, how do you order again? And how do you know what you are ordering?

I only found this website: http://www.savonneriedubonberger.com

:blink:

Yup, looks like the look I was making when I first tried to make sense of it. Start off by clicking on "Acheter nos produits en ligne" right below the donkey picture in the center. Essentially, the easiest way to order is on the lower right since that includes the products with shipping already added. Let's you choose between 1-10 soaps in containers or just refills. Once you order, Karine will email you and ask for the breakdown of what you want. For just the refills, I believe the most economical option is 8. That worked for me because I had two more people to split the order with.

As was mentioned to me, google translate is your friend. Unfortunately, you have to type a lot of the stuff in manually because many of their text links are actually pictures. Good luck and let us know what you think.

Yup, looks like the look I was making when I first tried to make sense of it. Start off by clicking on "Acheter nos produits en ligne" right below the donkey picture in the center. Essentially, the easiest way to order is on the lower right since that includes the products with shipping already added. Let's you choose between 1-10 soaps in containers or just refills. Once you order, Karine will email you and ask for the breakdown of what you want. For just the refills, I believe the most economical option is 8. That worked for me because I had two more people to split the order with.

As was mentioned to me, google translate is your friend. Unfortunately, you have to type a lot of the stuff in manually because many of their text links are actually pictures. Good luck and let us know what you think.

Thanks! I think I clicked on that link before but never realized what I was looking at though lol.

I'll have to try some out now since I know how to order

Got this one back into rotation after a brief hiatus. "Accidentally" used more water than normal, so loaded a little longer. Got the whip creamiest, slickest, most wonderful smelling lather I've had in a while. Probably 6 passes worth (which is not easily contained in a medium Robert Becker scuttle). Seriously, lathered easier than Mike's, MWF, or my Palmolive/Arko blend do for me.

Hello!

Almost 3 years without any further entry to this LSdV thread and now, the soap makers do no longer produce this so much beloved stuff.....:c17:

Cheers
Chris

Top Bottom