What's new

Review: Le Savons des Volcans

No, no, no. We need a contrarian on the thread. Unanimity is too boring.

Too late! But fear not, I'm sticking to my guns

My sample has been balled up and sitting on the shelf for a few days and has gotten much harder, which is a great thing. It was way too soft when I first got it.

Instead of smashing it back down and loading it that way, I chose to wet my face and the little soap ball and use it like a stick and loaded it directly on my face. Took a very well shaken M&F L7 to it and added water in very small amounts very frequently.

I was rewarded with a lather that was right along the lines of what I usually prefer. It thickened up nicely and was good and slick.

However. That being said I still stand by my opinion that this one performs very similarly to, but not quite as well as MWF.

"*** Milk" in its ingredient list. As one might imagine, that slowed my roll"
That is funny as $h!+. :lol: I'm in tears. That wouldn't SLOW my roll but make me come to a dead stop, reverse while flooring it!

Last edited:
Fantastic review Mark though I could have stopped reading here and been perfectly content:

"...but never having tried anything with Donkey's milk decided to tick this one off my list. I figure anyone who's willing to milk a donkey has earned at least a little of my business..."

One of the best lines I've read in a very long time - and very true!

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread. I love soaps like this that are off the beaten path, so to speak. I ordered some. I was a bit challenged with the French, but sorted it out, and the customer service was excellent, though in French, of course. It is now on the way and I look forward to using it.

Thanks for starting this thread. I love soaps like this that are off the beaten path, so to speak. I ordered some. I was a bit challenged with the French, but sorted it out, and the customer service was excellent, though in French, of course. It is now on the way and I look forward to using it.

You're welcome. When you got the soap, be sure to post your thoughts. Also, you may want to avoid my mistake and do the initial loading with a shaken, not stirred, brush. That seems to have solved my over-foaming issue.

There seems to be a problem with these soaps drying, the manufacturer has acknowledged, have nothing to do with the stick, it is advisable to leave them open for drying.

Well, I have the stick and both scents in the bowl. My soaps are all hard and not soft. The stick is a bit harder than the soap in both bowls. I guess that they have sent the soap to early. When I ordered the soaps Karine wrote me that I will have to wait 2 weeks until the actual batch has dried.

I have no problems in getting a very creamy thick lather with all three versions of the soap. It is actually one of my favourite soaps. And I don't like the MWF because of its

Well, I have the stick and both scents in the bowl. My soaps are all hard and not soft. The stick is a bit harder than the soap in both bowls. I guess that they have sent the soap to early. When I ordered the soaps Karine wrote me that I will have to wait 2 weeks until the actual batch has dried.

I have no problems in getting a very creamy thick lather with all three versions of the soap. It is actually one of my favourite soaps. And I don't like the MWF because of its

Once my new batch arrives, I'll use the stick and let the rest dry. Give that a whirl. Like you, I'm moving on from MWF. Compared to this soap, it dries out my skin. I've kept it around because I love the ceramic container, but now that I think about it, the container would work just as well for the Volcans.

The fresh batch of Volcans arrived. While the packaging doesn't compare with MdC's, it all arrived in fine shape and since nothing is glass, that kind of 99.999% safety is probably unnecessary.

View attachment 321959

Karine included another bar of the Thé d'Aubrac soap. The previous bar I'd already used up and it's fabulously creamy soap. I tend to soap up with anything at hand and am not fussy about what I use in the shower, but this really was wonderful stuff. You can also see the shaving stick in the bottom of the package.

View attachment 321960

Note that the tub is different from the previous tub. No idea why. A plastic container with a screw on lid and a press fit plastic piece between the soap and the lid. It's a handy, durable little container. The soap itself has the same foamy surface as the previous tub which I think must be a function of some gassing off in the curing process as the foam is just on the surface.

The stick is wrapped in paper. It's much drier than the tub soap and quite hard. Not sure how I'll store it. On an unrelated note, whoever designed the paper in which it's wrapped did a great job. My daughter is a graphic designer and I'm going to save the wrapper for her; it's that impressive.

View attachment 321961

The stick seems to be a much milder scent than the tub. Cleaner with less of the dairy element in it. This is also the first time I've had the Cidre Citron (cedar lemon) and first impression is that it's fabulous. While I like big obvious scents (and women...hello there Sophia Vergara), this one is subtle and really nice. I get more lemon than cedar, though the cedar hit me right away when I initially opened the box. The lemon smell is like what you get from lemon meringue pie rather than from lemon peel if that makes any sense to anyone.

Not sure which I'll use tonight, but it'll be either the cedar or the stick.

Update on the Volcans:

Meant to write this days ago. I'm terribly impressed by this soap. Followed BrentS example and smooshed some of the stick into a bowl and lathered directly from the bowl. This time, no annoying overfoamy proto-lather but all good useable stuff. The scent is a little milder in the stick form, though the tubs are mild in themselves, but the creaminess and slickness are all there with that gently menthol tingle.

The closest thing in feel and performance to the Volcans is the Panna Crema (namaste)which I just tried a few days ago. Had the scents not been so different, I couldn't have told the soaps apart.

Edit: I mentioned how much I liked the packaging design and that I was going to show it to my graphic designer daughter. Without getting into the specifics, which I'm too stupid to understand anyway, she patiently explained to me how horrible the design actually was and about a half dozen newbie mistakes that even the simplest minded professional designer would have avoided. Talk about feeling humbled. My advice to all of you is to never listen to my aesthetic judgment in these matters ever again.

Last edited:
I've been using mine in rotation with my new Pannacrema and Mike's Hungarian Lavendar and just love it. I load from the tin starting with a relatively dry brush, and add drips of water to the brush as i load to get a thick consistency on the brush before face lathering. It has an earthy mint scent to it and the slip/glide/feel is top notch. And it has donkey milk in it. MdC has been elbowed out of the way a little in past week but a jar of the fougere is on the way so MdC will get some face time again but these are all great products.

Update on the Volcans:

Meant to write this days ago. I'm terribly impressed by this soap. Followed BrentS example and smooshed some of the stick into a bowl and lathered directly from the bowl. This time, no annoying overfoamy proto-lather but all good useable stuff. The scent is a little milder in the stick form, though the tubs are mild in themselves, but the creaminess and slickness are all there with that gently menthol tingle.

The closest thing in feel and performance to the Volcans is the Panna Crema (namaste)which I just tried a few days ago. Had the scents not been so different, I couldn't have told the soaps apart.

Edit: I mentioned how much I liked the packaging design and that I was going to show it to my graphic designer daughter. Without getting into the specifics, which I'm too stupid to understand anyway, she patiently explained to me how horrible the design actually was and about a half dozen newbie mistakes that even the simplest minded professional designer would have avoided. Talk about feeling humbled. My advice to all of you is to never listen to my aesthetic judgment in these matters ever again.

Top Bottom