What's new

Review: Le Savons des Volcans

I recently saw on another site a mention of a French artisan soap which interested me. My shave den does not need another soap and, frankly, the quality of soaps available at all price ranges is quite high. Nonetheless, I'm gratuitously attracted to the out of the way, eccentric, unique and little heard of items. Things that others don't have or have never heard of, but give me great pleasure. It's not a laudable quality and I don't recommend it, but that's what I like and it's too late to change.

Did the requisite googling on the interwebs and it looked like the best place to buy it was via their website here:

http://www.savonneriedubonberger.com/

The pitch is all natural ingredients as seen here:

Pas de colorant artificiel, pas de conservateur, pas de parfum de synthèse, trés riche en glycérine, trés doux et vitaminés
Des produits fait main made in Auvergne.

In addition, a key differentiating ingredient is Donkey's milk to which they attribute all sorts of virtues. In the absence of peer reviewed studies, I ignore those sorts of claims, but never having tried anything with Donkey's milk decided to tick this one off my list. I figure anyone who's willing to milk a donkey has earned at least a little of my business.

At the time, they listed their soap for 11 euros delivered which seemed reasonable and so I ordered some. After several weeks, I became concerned that my order was lost, but woke up to see an email from Karine telling me they'd just finished a fresh batch and would be shipping my order out soon. Judging from my packaging when it arrived about 3 weeks later, customs had their way with it before it reached me.

View attachment 318082

I never checked how large the volume of it was, but it's a rather small tin. It's 100 ml which equals just under 3.4 oz. The container is a lightweight plastic screw on container similar in size to the Klar Seifen, but better for travel because of the light weight.

Opening the container released an absolutely unique scent. I'm not a fragrance sophisticate, but smells first divide themselves to me into two very broad categories before being further subdivided. One category is an all natural category which describes something one might run into while cavorting with the natural world. The other is a manufactured fragrance. A scent which one would never find in nature, but has to be blended from nature into something new. For example, MdC fits into the former, but C&S O&C fits into the latter. I love them both, but they're different. The Volcans fits into the former category with MdC. The mint was clearly noticeable, but quite mild and laying under that was a strong "dairy" smell. Having milked my share of goats and the occasional cow, it was the same scent one gets from the milk right out of the udder. Perhaps not for everyone, but I love it.

I ran my finger across the soap and this was where it really differentiated itself. The Volcans is udderly (get it?) creamy. Amazingly so. Felt more like a moisturizing cream than like a soap. The other thing I noticed were the large bubbles on the top of it. They were only on the top layer, but were a clue as to what would come. The soap looked freshly made and I still wonder if letting it sit a few months might not be a good idea. You can get a sense of that from this pic:

View attachment 318089

The first shave with a new soap is always enjoyable because it presents the puzzle of figuring out what works. Because of the moist look of the Volcans, I used a relatively dry brush which turned out to be a mistake and loaded for about 20 seconds. I'd selected the BK4 because I wanted a smaller brush and was worried that something denser and stiffer would pick up too much soap. My first pass of lather was incredibly frothy with lots of big bubbles. My preference is for dense, yogurty lather and I just couldn't get that face lathering with this brush and that soap. Here's an example of what that looked like. In this pic, I loaded for about 15 seconds with a relatively stiff M&F and then bowl lathered for about 30 seconds in a little suribachi:

View attachment 318091

Instead of going back to the tin and loading more soap and adding more water, I just went with it. The lather went on a bit thicker by the time I was done with the painting strokes, but it was still frothier than I like. The scent, btw, was growing on me steadily and as I sit here now with a loaded brush next to my laptop am reminded of just how enjoyable it is.

The first pass with the straight was as comfortable as any of the other soaps I use. Keep in mind, however, that I am not an expert or nearly as fussy about my lather as others here and am satisfied with the performance of nearly everything I can get a decent lather and smell from. It seemed that what the Volcans might lack in cushion, it made up for in slickness. It's a really slick soap. Honestly, I couldn't detect any difference in how the cushioning was over my other soaps, but others might. It didn't "look" protective, but it seemed to do the job.

The second and third passes were better in terms of density, much better, but not on a par with C&S, for example. That didn't seem to matter, however, in terms of performance. I also noticed that I got a faint, very faint, menthol tingling on my face as the shave progressed. If you'd asked whether I would like that ahead of time, I'd have said no. I'm not a fan of menthol, though I've been recently converted to Floid Blue. I find most menthols too strong and overpowering, but this one wasn't and the feel on the skin was fantastic. Here's a pic of the lather as it looked for the later passes. You can compare that with what's left in the Suribachi:

View attachment 318095

I normally alum up after my rinsing off the lather from my last pass, but in this case I forgot to use the Alum. That's only happened once before and that was when I was on an MdC kick for about two weeks. Both the Volcans and the MdC leave my skin feeling so good after the shave, that I forget what is normally an automatic step for me.

The post shave feel of the Volcans is probably its most desirable quality. There's the faint tingling of the mint combined with a nice moisturizing feeling. Add in a scent to which I'm steadily becoming addicted and I think we've got a winner here. When summer comes, I can see this becoming a favorite, but it will be a year round member of my shave den.

The lather is quite stable. Here's a pic taken at least ten minutes after the one above:

View attachment 318098

So while it's "too frothy" according to my normal habits, it doesn't seem to fail in its task which is to give good protection to the skin. Nonetheless, I don't trust my judgment on this and so I sent off samples to three other members whose opinions I respect (hence the nearly empty jar) and they may choose to pop in on this thread and shed some real light on the product.

Meanwhile, I have more on the way.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I shaved with this for 4 days in a row before writing this. On subsequent shaves, I made sure to load more product and that did improve substantially the characteristics of the lather, but it was still pretty frothy on the first pass even on all the subsequent shaves.

Last edited:
Great review. I also am somehow drawn to these artisan soaps that are relatively obscure. I've had soaps with bubbly and foamy lather that performed and got the job done, but I tend to prefer the creamy and dense lather as well. Thanks for sharing!

Ben

I didn't mention it in the original review, but some of the references/translations I ran across when looking into this soap mentioned the use "*** Milk" in its ingredient list. As one might imagine, that slowed my roll for a while until I figured out what the problem was.

Minty Mitchell's Wool Fat.

I've used this soap one time, and that is my initial impression of it's performance. A big thank you to my good friend Mark for sending me a sample of this to try out and give my impressions on it.

The scent is very light and herbal in nature. This isn't a synthetic mint, but smells more like the real deal that has been muddled together with other fresh green herbs. Like Mark said in his initial assessment, it also has a light 'milky' quality to the scent as well.

The soap itself is extremely soft, too soft in fact for my liking. I took the sample that Mark sent me, smeared it into the bottom of a small ramekin the best I could and let it sit out overnight to firm up a bit so that I could load it without using it all in one shot.

This product performs VERY similar to MWF. It takes a fair bit of loading, is very prone to bubbling, tends to be on the slightly airy and fleeting side and water needs to be added carefully. Also like MWF, it doesn't produce mountains of lather but rather a smaller yield of soft, slippery goodness. Post shave feel is also very nice and slick, leaving my face feeling smooth.

Overall I think it is a nice soap. For under $20 to your door it doesn't break the bank and is a nice performer. Is it anything groundbreaking or game changing? No. However I wouldn't hesitate to put this soap in my top 7-8.

Tomorrow I'm going to load it like I hate it and kill this sample. We'll see if that changes anything.

Minty Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Tomorrow I'm going to load it like I hate it and kill this sample. We'll see if that changes anything.

Now that's funny. In point of fact, I think that's one of the things I failed to do because it was so soft, I was afraid of loading 4x what I needed. Also, I haven't used my MWF in at least 6 months so the comparison never occurred to me. Going to check that out right now.

Nice review Mark, thanks.

Have more on the way, Steve. Will send you a taste. The mint should help you get through those long, swelteringly hot North Dakota summers.

Last edited:
Nice write up, Mark. Entertaining and informative, what more could one want for a good read?

From what you have said, I think I'll stick to the MdC and pass on the ***.

Nice write up, Mark. Entertaining and informative, what more could one want for a good read?

From what you have said, I think I'll stick to the MdC and pass on the ***.

You just couldn't resist the rhyme could you?

The shaving soap stick gives a much better and dense lather.

I have one of those on order as well and will test. That's good to hear. Have you tried any of their other products, Tally-ho?

Last night I went back to MWF to test Matt's proposition that the Volcans was similar to MWF and in regards to the initial generation of frothy lather, he was spot on. This doesn't happen to the same degree with any of my other soaps, but it's absolutely true of the MWF.

On the other hand, the MWF dries out my skin dramatically and may be part of the reason it fell out of the rotation so long ago. The Volcans, oth, did not dry out the skin but rather felt nearly as effective as a mild moisturizer.

After a second use today, I've determined that this one isn't for me.

I loaded the hell out of this soap. Well over a minute with my 2XL 2-Band.

Still got light, airy and fleeting lather that doesn't want to hold and doesn't take water well at all. If you look at the pictures in Mark's first post, you'll see that the bubbles just never go away. Every time you try to incorporate even the smallest amount of water into the lather it bubbles up and falls flat.

The main difference between this soap and MWF besides scent is that eventually, you can get the Fat to thicken up and get a little yogurt-y. This one doesn't do that at all.

While I'm all about slickness, this one just doesn't hold enough water on my face to give me what I'm looking for.

If you like a very light, thin lather and don't mind bubbles this soap could work well for you. It smells great and leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth. I on the other hand require a bit more from my lather.

After a second use today, I've determined that this one isn't for me.

I loaded the hell out of this soap. Well over a minute with my 2XL 2-Band.

Still got light, airy and fleeting lather that doesn't want to hold and doesn't take water well at all. If you look at the pictures in Mark's first post, you'll see that the bubbles just never go away. Every time you try to incorporate even the smallest amount of water into the lather it bubbles up and falls flat.

The main difference between this soap and MWF besides scent is that eventually, you can get the Fat to thicken up and get a little yogurt-y. This one doesn't do that at all.

While I'm all about slickness, this one just doesn't hold enough water on my face to give me what I'm looking for.

If you like a very light, thin lather and don't mind bubbles this soap could work well for you. It smells great and leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth. I on the other hand require a bit more from my lather.

Matt,
This is one of the reasons I sent this to you. Knowing your lather preferences, figured you'd be a tough sell. I'm a sucker for a good scent, but you're relentless.

Matt,
This is one of the reasons I sent this to you. Knowing your lather preferences, figured you'd be a tough sell. I'm a sucker for a good scent, but you're relentless.

I am a bit of a lather snob, aren't I? :blushing:

It's a nice soap from a small mom and pop type deal. It smells very nice, nice packaging, price isn't an issue. I feel bad looking down my nose at it, but it needs some tweaking.

I have a feeling that some guys will think it's great and really like the lather and shave that they get from it. If it works for Mitchell's, why not this?

MWF barely manages to stay in my den. It's slickness, neutral scent and post shave feel are really all that save it from getting shipped out (Well, that and it's sweet *** ceramic dish) Most days though, it's really not even worth the agitation. The longer load time required, temperature sensitivity, water addition rate, etc. I can achieve a great lather from it, it's just way more labor intensive than most. I honestly hold a grudge against it for being such a fickle beast. It's like dating Miss Virginia. Yeah she's a beauty and when it's on, it's on. But it's just high maintenance and requires more work than others to achieve the same end result.

I would be saying the same for the SdV, but it just never reaches that creamy, wet yogurt/whipped cream consistency. Bubbles have no place in my lather.

The OP is an enormously generous member so I too got a chance to try the Volcanic Donkey. I think the description of the scent as being natural mint is perfectly accurate. They also make a cedar scent which I think will be more appealing to me. The consistency reminds me of a very dense cream like Castle Forbes. I've used it for the past two days by dipping & twirling the tips of my Rooney 1XL in the small container the sample came in and then face-lathering in the shower. I got an instant creamy lather that easily lasted through three passes. I would compare the lather favorably with the one I get from Nancy Boy Cream. It could easily mussel any number of products out of my rotation. Thanks Mark!
:shaving:

Yesterday, Face&Head sent me a taunting video illustrating the excellent non-foamy lather he got from the Volcans and though the words were polite and respectful, tone and intonation clearly demonstrated a disappointment in my skills as well as suspicion of my ability to accurately evaluate so simple a thing as a shave soap. I was chastised.

This morning, not really needing another shave but wanting one, pulled out the Volcans and took a completely different approach. Used my 16mm travel brush which is a TGN Finest and let it soak and then shook out nearly all the water. Loaded for about 15/20 seconds and noticed almost no foam. Wet my face again and then lathered.

Sure enough, gone was all that ultra foamy proto-lather. Not only that, I got three passes from the little 16mm TGN. The last pass was kind of thin, but for straight shaving that was fine and I had plenty of protection. So, I guess the key is less water, much less, for loading and only add as needed. This is also the first morning shave I've had in a long time and what a great scent for the morning. Invigorating without being rude.

I didn't mention it in the original review, but some of the references/translations I ran across when looking into this soap mentioned the use "*** Milk" in its ingredient list. As one might imagine, that slowed my roll for a while until I figured out what the problem was.

:lol:

Ben

Top Bottom