What's new

Reknotting this handle

Just came into this handle. I quite like the feel of it and wouldn't mind throwing a fresh knot in. Only thing is, there is no base in this brush. I have never reknotted a brush in this style. What is the procedure? It unscrews readily enough. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20190715_220222.jpg
    20190715_220222.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 20190715_220236.jpg
    20190715_220236.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 20190715_220241.jpg
    20190715_220241.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
I might epoxy a washer/coin into the knot cup. Then when dry spread epoxy on the knot side of the washer and press the knot through the opening. Alternately, hold the knot through the opening and spread epoxy around through the bottom side of the knot cup, using enough to form a plug inside the cup.

Silicone can be used instead of epoxy to hold the knot in place. More forgiving but less durable.

I've also have made a shelf coming up from the handle as @GAW9576 suggests, but the knot cup was straight walled, so the washer in cup wouldn't have been easy to accomplish in that case.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Keith, I've used 5 min epoxy on my Rubberset brushes. You can make a stand out of PVC for the knot to sit in. Then you can place the ferrule on top of the PVC at you chosen loft. Then mix up the epoxy and wait a few minutes for it to get gooey, then spread it with a lollipop stick. You'll want the epoxy to get to the gooey stage before applying, so you doesn't drip down to the hair. It has been explained in the Rubberset 400 club if you want to go read through the massive thread.

Kind regards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you. It was just strange as anything how this brush had the old hair set in. I wouldn't even call it a knot, more a very long plug of straight bristles that had to be a bodge job.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thank you. It was just strange as anything how this brush had the old hair set in. I wouldn't even call it a knot, more a very long plug of straight bristles that had to be a bodge job.
Interesting. It wasnt like this Rubberset 400 knot, was it?
proxy.php

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I made a shelf in a hollow handle but filling it most of the way with silicone.
This is what I prefer to do. By removing the ferrule, you can load it with a knot from the inside out. For tight fits, I have found wrapping the knot with a rubberband keeps it compact. I’ve also used a small balloon to compress the bristles together while loading it. Once the desired depth is set, back fill with silicone. It should last a long time or until you decide to remove the knot.

Top Bottom