What's new

28mm knot in a 28mm handle

I bought some inexpensive resin handles and knots from Boti. Not knowing better, I got the same size knot as handle, assuming that was the right sizing. The knots can fit in the holes, but just barely and only with a lot of pushing. I won't need any glue! ;)

Is there anything I can do to help out the situation, short of buying smaller knots and tossing these? I don't need much room, is there a very easy way to bore out the hole just a bit?

I guess I learned some lessons today. Please help me make the best of it, thank you!

I bought some inexpensive resin handles and knots from Boti. Not knowing better, I got the same size knot as handle, assuming that was the right sizing. The knots can fit in the holes, but just barely and only with a lot of pushing. I won't need any glue! ;)

Is there anything I can do to help out the situation, short of buying smaller knots and tossing these? I don't need much room, is there a very easy way to bore out the hole just a bit?

I guess I learned some lessons today. Please help me make the best of it, thank you!
I don't have any experience with this, but can you use some sandpaper to sand the inner radius and create some space?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Easy fix, get some sanding paper and carefully open up the hole a bit. Normally the nominal size of the knot is the diameter of the glue plug, however, all knots swell a bit above this, normally 1-2 mm (although I had knots that were 5 mm+), so a 26 mm knot would be the better fit for a 28 mm handle. If the sanding paper does not work, or it takes a long time, a dremel may work faster if you need to remove a bit of material in the hole.

I routinely use a Dremel drum sander to obtain a better fit. It is easy to control and isn't aggressive so you can open the hole up a bit, test fit, then open some more if needed. With a little patience you can also open up a handle to accommodate a larger knot if the handle is fat enough. I have opened up an 18mm handle to accommodate a 20mm knot, a 22mm handle to accommodate a 26mm knot, and a 24mm handle to accommodate a 28mm knot.

Thank you all, I did some sanding by hand and I can tell it is opening up. At first the plastic cup barely fit in, now that fits in easily, but the knot gets wider above the cup, so I need to open it up more. I want to sink these knots a bit more to get some more backbone.

Top Bottom