What's new

Red Tip v Undated Aristocrat: The more aggressive is the ?????

I have a fresh Red Tip and a somewhat worn undated (40s, I guess) Gold Aristocrat. I believe both are in good working condition.

I find the Aristocrat much more aggressive... but the Red Tip is supposedly a heavy beard ~aggressive shaver.

Which do you find to be the better shaver for a heavy beard? (BTW, this is not for me... I want to figure out which one to give as a gift to a DE convert.)

Thank you.

Jerry10016

Jerry --

I have a no-date, no-notch Aristocrat, a D-1 Red Tip, and an A-4 Red Tip. I think the Aristocrat shaves a little bit more aggressively than either of the Red Tips.

I'd have to give my vote to the un-notched American Aristocrat being the more aggressive of the two. It has a different blade tray and blade angle that I have a harder time adjusting to.

I'd have to give my vote to the un-notched American Aristocrat being the more aggressive of the two. It has a different blade tray and blade angle that I have a harder time adjusting to.

I agree, but I also feel that the Aristocrat really isn't very aggressive, and I have several shaver grade Aristocrats that I use.

-- John Gehman

I find that my notched no date code Aristocrat more aggressive then my C-4 red tipped. Either there's variations in razors or the shavers perception. The Aristocrat is my favorite nonadjustable razor, it has the best grip and balance of any razor I own.
BTW. I can't use Feathers in either of these razors but Derbys and Ips work really well.

Thank you for your replies.

So far the consensus is that the no-notch Aristocrat is the more aggressive of the two.

MTgrayling said that there is a difference in the blade tray/angle of the Aristocrat... and impliedly that that leads to the need for a different technique....what is the technique?

My sense is that a less tight angle of attack..... say 35 degrees rather than 30 degrees ... the blade head being held more close to the horizontal might be the answer.

Any advice appreciated.

Jerry10016

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

I agree. My '47, un-notched Aristocrat is more aggressive than my C1 Red Tip.

Top Bottom