What's new

Recommendations for a mild razor?

Great suggestions above!!

I suggest two more for consideration:
Vintage: consider a tech.
Modern: consider a Feather AS-D2

These are both fine shavers in the ’mild’ range!!

I was thinking about this in my recommendation, too. I'd recommend getting an inexpensive Tech first before splurging on an ASD2 (which is basically a stainless steel Tech, from what I understand). It's very different shaving experience than a 34C and requires better technique. Ask me how I know that! :D

Yates 'Merica is very efficient while still feeling very mild.

Razorock Lupo 72 is efficient while still feeling very mild. Also it is available with various plates so you can get a plate that is more aggressive if desired.

The vintage Schick Krona is both cheap and plentiful on eBay and it always delivers a nice smooth shave. It is mild. You won't find a bad word said about this classic razor

IMG20240604132531.jpg

My Goodfellas Smile Valynor is another smoothie. Nice and mild and pretty sexy IMHO.

IMG20240604130210.jpg

There is a reason the Merkur 34 is such a popular razor. It is a very good razor. If you are having fine shaves with it, that may be all you need.
Alas, like many others here, you may just want another razor for sake of diversity, acquisition for its own sake, or whatever.
So I will offer a few suggestions ...

I really like the Merkur 34, but among others, I also own a Razorock Lupo 0.72 which I can recommend (others here have already recommended Lupo). The .72 plate is quite a bit more aggressive than the Merkur 34, and you can get a still more aggressive plate (I think it's called .95), or another less so (forgot the number), you'll have to study up on what options are suitable for you.
The Lupo clamps down DE blades very well (no chatter here!), and is very nimble. I like to say that it feels like a surgical precision tool. Fantastic for touch ups. The Lupo is a top notch luxury razor, as I understand it the head is a replica of a 500$ Wolfman razor. (Lupo means wolf in latin). How Razorock can get away with doing this, I don't know, but if you can't afford a Wolfman, here is you chance to "almost" get one anyway, for a fifth of the cost of a genuine Wolfman.

Yet another razor I will highly recommend is the Merkur 37.
The Merkur 37 is quite similar to the Merkur 34 in design, but more aggressive. The main difference is that the 37 is a slant, which mellows out the aggression. It's more efficient than the 34, and yet it's also very smooth, because it's a slant (the torquing of the blade makes the cutting edge very steady and feeling more smooth). You can also get the same slant head with a longer handle if you like, then it's called Merkur 39 C -- the 37C has the same handle as the Merkur 34 (I personally love this handle).
The Merkur 37 is a classic and very popular slant, a bit of a "gold standard" among slants, that has a cult following (myself among them).

Last edited:
Mild razors I have used:

Ball-end Tech, pre-war Tech, Superspeed (40s, 50s, 60s), Feather ASD2, Game Changer 68P or 76P, stainless steel Timeless 68 (with safety bar).

The 76P being the most efficient without being too aggressive. The smoothest being the Timeless 68.

Finding a razor that suits you is finding the right balance of aggression and efficiency. The milder razors may require more "face time" than the more aggressive/efficient razors to achieve the same result, which may result in irritation.

An aggresive/efficient razor may require fewer strokes but a lapse in attention and poor technique can result in bloodshed.

The trick is finding the razor that works best for you, based on many factors including the closeness of the shave you seek, the amount of effort you are willing to expend on developing your technique, and the actual time spent during the shave.

Final thought: I never liked my 34C, and would never recommend it over any of the razors I listed above.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
There are lots of mild razors to confuse a person who is looking around for a nice one to try.

Vintage- Most Gillette super speeds TTO razors are generally mild IMO.
Modern- Razorock SLOC, Razorock old type + Razorock Game changer has a lot of gab variances made from 316 SSP
Inexpensive- Yaqi has some decent affordable razors, V1 Mellon head, SE Romulus SSP, SE Excalibur, SS tile, Zephyr......
There are lots of threads on B&B that also might help you discover mild razors also.

Hello everyone,

I've used a Merkur 34c for over a year now, and I really do like it. I recently purchased a Fattip piccolo and a Mühle R41, but I am finding them just too aggressive for my face... I'll try 2-3 more times each, but I think I need a more mild razor.

What sort of razor would you suggest is mild like a 34c, but also a step up in quality?

Looking forward for your advice.
Karve Bison. Very mild yet effective razor. Love mine. There's a wait time, but it's worth it. I own one and have gifted one. The performance I've experienced from the one I have, is that they're kinda the best kept secret in the wet shaving world. The aluminum safety razor corner of that world, to be more specific. I paid full retail and, after inspecting it and shaving with it, believe I got a damn steal. Great razor. Basically, the very best modern "entry level" razor I can think of.

Before buying more razors have you considered if using a pre-shave oil would resolve the situation?

Oil enables me to get close and comfortable shaves with more aggressive razors that I wouldn't otherwise be able to use. For convenience I prefer the water soluble type that washes off hands quickly. I had to try a few brands of oil to get one that works well for me. I also learnt not to be stingy and apply a fair quantity and spread it well. Less skin damage also improves appearance and reduces the need for aftershave balm - prevention is better than cure.

However if you do like the 34C look/feel and want to buy a higher build quality razor then maybe one of the stainless steel Razorock closed comb GameChangers with their HD handle.

Alex
Because of my very sensitive neck I always use preshave, although sometimes soap instead of oil. Will definitely check out razorock 👍

RazoRock Game Changer .76P or .84P is a good starter for the aggressiveness range you're going for. The .68P baseplate will probably be too mild for you. The 34C is NOT the mildest razor on the block. The Karve Overlander gets fantastic reviews here, if you want to spend more money.

By the way, I did the same 34C to R41 hop about a year ago, and I also found it a leap too far. After getting the Game Changer as a next step, I've gone down the vintage Gillette rabbit hole lately, but that's more for fun and enjoyment than because I need any of them to get a good shave.

A more basic question for @taiga : what do you mean by "quality"? Is there some aspect to your shaves with the 34C that left you unsatisfied? A "fancier" razor isn't necessarily going to give you a better shave (though some will). So much depends on your prep and technique.

Even with a zamac head, your 34C should last you many years before you'd see any wear and tear. Mine gave me about a decade of trouble-free service before I started seeing corrosion on the lower edge of the safety bar, probably due to a bad plating job.
Thanks for the advice. By quality I guess I mean more premium materials and perhaps more precise machining. I don't really have any problems with the 34c, although I did somehow get a nick on the edge of the head :eek2:

Because of my very sensitive neck I always use preshave, although sometimes soap instead of oil. Will definitely check out razorock 👍
Checkout a few oils too as they can provide significantly more protection than soap in my experience.

Also followup on the suggestions of others on the PAA Meta-4 it's such a good razor I bought a spare!

Checkout a few oils too as they can provide significantly more protection than soap in my experience.

Also followup on the suggestions of others on the PAA Meta-4 it's such a good razor I bought a spare!
I have Bader balm preshave oil which I like using, but I will definitely check out some others as well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks for the advice everyone. Lots of different options to look at... I did get a Rockwell 6s yesterday in the mail, so I'll start of by playing with the different plates first :adoration:
I have heard lots of positive reviews about the Rockwell 6S over the years, Enjoy your new razor!

I have Bader balm preshave oil which I like using, but I will definitely check out some others as well.
If you have not tried Noxzema as a preshave you may want to. It works very well, and is cheap. The scent could be better, but I can tolerate it. I find that it makes a significant difference in shave quality. Shave oils never worked as well for me.

The 6S is a great razor and you are going to have a lot of fun playing around with the different plates.

Top Bottom