What's new

Recommend a good quality Badger Brushes under $30.00 USD

Omega 599 was $40 when I picked it up and blooms out nicely larger than it’s measurements. And it’s my bagger traveler because it packs quite small.

If Whipped Dog is still open, building a silvertip with him might still be close to $30.

I would avoid pure badger personally because I find them annoyingly prickly tipped.

If you’re handy, and have a handle to work with, it’s not as hard as it seems to pick up a knot and set it in your handle yourself, once you know what kind you like and at what loft works for you with that hair type

Thank s again 4 Great Info.👍

I would confirm that $30 can get you a great badger brush!

Yaqi would be my top choice.
I've used nearly all their badger brushes, their two band and silvertip are just awesome and superb value for money!

A decade ago, these brushes were available to us for $80+!!

Apshaveco has a badger/boar mix brush for about $35 it's called Apluxury.
At WhippedDog you can get a decent Silvertip badger for just under $40 depending on handle you choose.

You can buy a reasonable badger on sale at West coast shaving, My badger brushes all work well and happy with them all.
The brush you bought is a pure badger brush I'm thinking and they are tough bristles and some fellows like them for the scrub I'm thinking.
I recommend a 2band or 3band (Silver tip) badger brush. The 2 band is a good overall brush for most shaving needs and the 3 band silvertip are more gentler luxury knots. West coast shaving also sells Yaqi and other brand name badger brushes, buy the $29.90 US 24mm 2 band badger Mountain lake badger and they have a discount code for 20% off sale store wide.
(Archived Photo below, these are all excellent badger brushes IMO, Mountain lake 2 band badger is on the far right.
View attachment 1627370
Have some great shaves.
I have a Mountain Lake and not only does it provide a really nice lathering experience, but it is a really nice looking addition to my stable! You will not be disappointed!!!

Yaqi or Dscosmetics or Oumo for badger brushes.

If I were you and had 30 usd to spend I would buy a nice boar brush + a nice synthetic. 2 brushes that would cover all your needs.

Zenith boar (bleached)

Yaqi Caramel

My main brushes are 3 . A Zenith boar, a Yaqi synthetic (used 80% of time) and Yaqi Moka. I am just lazy to sell the rest of the brushes that are not being used and I have 2-bands, silvertip that are in a box.

I have purchased quite a few brushes and many knots from ACE. Yesterday I took delivery on this one, and highly recommend it. I shaved with it this morning. It is $5 above your limit, but well worth it.

Currently I have over 50 brushes in my rotation. Most of them were either inexpensive or ones I made myself, to keep the costs down. This 26 mm $35 silvertip badger brush is very comparable to my Kent BK 8. Not identical, but very comparable.

If the extra $5 is enough to keep you from the purchase, I'll send you the $5 when you post a picture with the brush lathered up. This offer if for the OP only.

My first good brush was a Stirling Finest at just over 30 dollars. Highly recommended.

I bought a VDH boar brush at a pharmacy 20 years ago for about $4. It’s still available for about twice that price. I use mine almost everyday

I bought a VDH boar brush at a pharmacy 20 years ago for about $4. It’s still available for about twice that price. I use mine almost everyday
Note that this is a different brush from those sold more recently by VDH. The newer ones are poorly made frequently losing hairs and falling apart after a few months of use. I quickly went through two of these VDH boar brushes that came with shaving kits (mug, soap and brush) 3-4 years ago. The knots disintegrated and fell out of the handle.

Many fellow B&Bers have reported similar issues with their more recently purchased VDH boar brushes.

I currently use three under $15 brushes. Two Razorock plissoft synthetics (Monster and Big Bruce 26mm knots) and a Blondie boar (rebranded Zenith 80N with a 26mm knot) that perform and hold up very well. Up to 4 years of regular use on these brushes so far. Italian Barber often offers these for under $10 on sale so you could get all three and stay within your budget.

Top Bottom