What's new

Recommend a good quality Badger Brushes under $30.00 USD

Last Brush I bought was EBay made in India Six bucks, special.

Works poor, but it was filling need.

So many brands of Badger Brush’s, name on handle seems to effect price.

Hope I get a few recommendations to check out.

Thx.

Yaqui Moka Express 2 band badger. It is one of my favorite brushes and is currently on sale at Ali Express for $28.13 after using a $5 discount coupon. That's including shipping to the US.
@DesertIguana Here's the link to that. I'm in the UK but I've adjusted the link to USD and shipping.

Looks a good brush.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832678195200.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!GBP!£33.45!£21.73!!!!!@0b0a0c5216798009392738422e5a33!10000015441657497!btf&_t=pvid:17c64464-3851-41af-8b28-488cb98e070c&afTraceInfo=32864509952__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1679800939&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.mainProduct&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

You can get this one down to budget if you subscribe and get a discount coupon. They also have plenty of Pure Badger choices.

A good quality badger brush under $30 doesn't exist.
Not so. I picked up a Yaqi 2-Band and a Silvertip during a past sale for $17 and $20 CAD respectively and I currently see a $16 2-Band on Aliexpress. They're both excellent brushes that perform well past what I paid for them. While they're going to get shown up by artisan brushes with fancier looking custom handles, they are definitely of sufficient quality that I'd recommend them. I would go as far as to say they'd be excellent for a first time badger brush user to start out.

I have been using this badger brush 3 times a week since 2012. Have never had any issues with it. You can’t go wrong with it. You don’t pay for the brand and it’s really high quality and great customer service. As I understand that’s Canadian $ price on the website

Can send some photos of this brush after +1500 uses. Given that I put quite some pressure, twisted it, put it into the hottest water, it’s still in quite good shape

You can get this one down to budget if you subscribe and get a discount coupon. They also have plenty of Pure Badger choices.
The Maggard's s an extremely capable badger brush for daily use. While it's only 22mm it is pretty dense.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do not understand the "mm" ratings?
mm is millimeter - the normal unit of measurement for the knot diameter and loft. Because the area of a circle is pi times the radius squared, a 27mm knot is significantly larger than a 22mm knot. Most people favour a loft around twice the diameter - much higher and the knot tends to be floppy. There are other factors such as the density of the hair and the backbone, or stiffness, of the hair. Each factor is a matter of personal taste - I like a small knot, up to about 24mm, with a short loft around 48mm, medium density, and firm backbone. I like a bit of scrub and strongly dislike very soft brushes, especially with gelled tips 👍

mm is millimeter - the normal unit of measurement for the knot diameter and loft. Because the area of a circle is pi times the radius squared, a 27mm knot is significantly larger than a 22mm knot. Most people favour a loft around twice the diameter - much higher and the knot tends to be floppy. There are other factors such as the density of the hair and the backbone, or stiffness, of the hair. Each factor is a matter of personal taste - I like a small knot, up to about 24mm, with a short loft around 48mm, medium density, and firm backbone. I like a bit of scrub and strongly dislike very soft brushes, especially with gelled tips 👍

As I like to say most days I learn something. Thx.👍

I consider a Badger brush a luxury item so price is only one factor. I would go with a Synthetic and save up for a Badger. Whe ready you can contact Rudy Vey on this forum and he will guide you to a Badger that is truly high value and a joy to use.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If you could add a few dollars, I'd recommend this boar brush. The Zenith quality and face feel is wonderful.... but if you are looking for totally soft, this isn't your brush. For me, it's the best boar I have... though matched by two other Zenith boar brushes with different handles. The tips are soft and it has that gentle scrub I desire in a brush. You can feel it but it doesn't rip off your skin. ;)

Solid copper handle that develops a patina I personally think is beautiful, but we know beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You can buy a reasonable badger on sale at West coast shaving, My badger brushes all work well and happy with them all.
The brush you bought is a pure badger brush I'm thinking and they are tough bristles and some fellows like them for the scrub I'm thinking.
I recommend a 2band or 3band (Silver tip) badger brush. The 2 band is a good overall brush for most shaving needs and the 3 band silvertip are more gentler luxury knots. West coast shaving also sells Yaqi and other brand name badger brushes, buy the $29.90 US 24mm 2 band badger Mountain lake badger and they have a discount code for 20% off sale store wide.
(Archived Photo below, these are all excellent badger brushes IMO, Mountain lake 2 band badger is on the far right.
Yaqi #1 badger brushes.jpg

Have some great shaves.

I would look at Stirling's Brushes for an excellent price to quality ratio.

Top Bottom