What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was pleasantly surprised when I disassembled it to clean, the blade popped right back to the top of the upside down cap for easy removal.

The L2++ base plate was delivered today. I really need at least one more shave with the L3, maybe two, to follow through and consolidate what I've learned so far. Then when I turn my attention to the L2++, it should be easier to quantify any differences I observe. That is my hope, at least.

After 2 shaves with the L2++ I decided that it was just not efficient enough for me, so I switched to the L3 for this morning's shave (I shave every morning). I started today's shave by lathering up with my Maggard SHD 2 band badger brush and Shannon's Haymarket Vetiver soap. The SuperSlant still had the Personna Red blade in it that I had used with the L2++ base plate for two shaves. I was a bit concerned that this razor was going to wind up on the BST, since I could feel no difference between the L3 and L2++. Once again the shave was extremely smooth, comfortable and effortless. I completed my 2 passes, did a bit of touch-up around my chin (this is my normal routine), rinsed and sampled the results.

Much to my surprise, the L3 is significantly more efficient for me. Today's shave produced an effortless BBS result without even a hint of irritation much less a nick, cut or weeper. I expect that I'll put the L2++ up for sale on the BST, as I can't see any likelihood that I will use it. The L3, however, is definitely a keeper!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My comments of the day on the L1++ are here.

2-9-23.L1++.Mike's.ZenithUnbleached.640.JPG

I may try the L3 again soon.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have borrowed a Super Slant L3 for the coming week. One of my work colleagues is an enthusiastic wet shaver and could not resist ordering this razor, although I had pointed him to one of the L2 plates when he asked me to advise him.... (best guess mixed with gut feeling since I haven't used the L2 or L3 😉 ) From what I understand, he rather prefers mid aggressive razors...

Anyway, the L2 heads were out of stock at the time and being patient seemed to be his Achilles heel....

Now you can guess what happened after he used the L3. He complained about the aggressiveness of the head. He also reported that the L3 was too efficient for his daily shaving needs.... ... Surprise, surprise. 🙈

Well, we shall see if I do better with the L3... 🤷‍♂️ I'm going to shave with it a few times in the coming week....

Cheers!

Last edited:
First shave with the L3...
What a beautiful and unique looking razor!
Shave was drama-free,effortless,efficient and smooth. almost BBS (I'm sure I'll get there when I get it dialed in)
Very comfortable and grippy handle.
One small con: one stroke of this razor on my cheek left it bone dry! no soap residue left even though I used PAA cube as pre-shave AND shaving soap on top of that...
I'm sure the soon-to-be-released L3 Open comb base plate will fix that problem.
No problem loading my Perma sharps.
No blade chatter.
Love it!

Cheers

Too bad I ordered an L2++ base a few days ago or I'd have jumped on that used one. I didn't want to wait for an L3 and figured it might be too aggressive for me anyway. My L1++ has been super for me but I'm sure I can handle the L2++. Glad you guys like the L3. I may still order an L3 or an OC when they are in stock depending on how I like the new one on the way. The superslant is quickly becoming my favorite razor.

20230211_114030-01.jpeg
Okay, shave #1 with the L3 is in the books.

Subsequent to two passes and some touchups on my trouble areas my skin is free of blemishes and feels like polished marble.

Let me have one or two more shaves with this razor before I share my thoughts. But the debut shave was rather easy and pretty nice!

I have now shaved 5 times with the SuperSlant; twice with the L2++ and 3 times with the L3. As I said in an eariler post on this thtead, I found the L2++ not efficient enough, but the L3 has been great for me. I've been using a RazoRock Bulldog handle, but today I thought I might try a lighter handle, so I took my Titanium Halo handle off of my Lupo .95 OC and put it on the SuperSlant. The Titanium Halo is quite long at 100 mm (vs. 90 mm for the Bulldog), but it is also quite light at 1.7 oz. (vs. 2.8 oz. for the Bulldog). While I love the light handle on the Lupo, I didn't love it on the SuperSlant. After the first pass, I switched back to the Bulldog. I hadn't given it much thought before, but it seems that I like heavier handles with heavier heads. I think it provides better balance - and there is quite a diference in the weight of the SuperSlant at 38 grams vs. the Lupo at 26 grams. I have another heavy stainless steel handle that I may try on the SuperSlant, but I've been getting such good results with the L3 on the Bulldog handle that I might just leave well enough alone.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
it seems that I like heavier handles with heavier heads.

So do I. One of my favourite combos is the Wunderbar with the Radio Knob handle. It's a chunk-a stainless, but it's balanced and does what I need it to do. Going the "other way" -- a light head and heavier handle -- also works for me with some of the alloy and plastic fantastics that, to me, just need some additional mass to work better. PAA's aluminum Starling V2OC Gem-format razor works well with a WCS 84S handle, and I like the RazoRock UFO on the PAA ABS plastic El Fantasma slant.

I wasn't a fan of RR's Bulldog, nor of the HD. The UFO they make is nicely knurled and very grippy. Works very well with my L3SB.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was on my second shave with my SuperSlant L today.. The first one wasn't all that pleasant.. with the L3 base plate. Today I started out with the L2++ and it was much better. I worked on the angle a lot... and found for me, it shaved a bit better: actually, much better. I guess I don't need the efficiency of the L3.

Now for the "however"s.... I compare all new razors with my 7 favorites. That might not be totally fair because I've only been at this for just under a year and I still have a lot to learn about technique. The SuperSlant doesn't feel "smooth" to me. It isn't that it drags or catches. I'm using a good pre-shave, along with Canada Shaving Soap and it always works well for me. Same SV 2.0 Manchurian brush. Nacet blade on its second use. But the shave wasn't smooth, even on the second and third pass. So WTG, XTG and ATG passes. I was really having trouble along one jaw line and on my chin. I could feel the stubble with my left hand, but couldn't seem to get the razor to catch and cut those areas smooth.

Rather than get razor burn, I picked up my ATT X1 and hit those problem spots with it...... in less than a minute, they were all perfect, by my standards.

So, I could use some advice here. I'm getting what for me are stellar shaves with my other razors. The easy way out is to return to them, but I think the SuperSlant has such potential, I'm am convinced I should figure it out. This time around, I got no cuts or even weepers, so I addressed that. I was using light pressure... but I had changed the handle to the Timeless Ti Crown I use on most of my other top razors. Would returning to a heavier Stainless Steel handle assist me? I have several of them from the razors.

If any of you have questions, suggestions, observations, etc., I'd surely appreciate it. The one observation I did make... when I look at the other razors I've come to enjoy, they all have scalloped safety bars... And I did notice, the SuperSlant bar is smooth and can wipe off the lather more. It's hard to believe that is the issue, but I noticed, it has been mentioned before.

I really would welcome anything thoughts.

I was on my second shave with my SuperSlant L today.. The first one wasn't all that pleasant.. with the L3 base plate. Today I started out with the L2++ and it was much better. I worked on the angle a lot... and found for me, it shaved a bit better: actually, much better. I guess I don't need the efficiency of the L3.

Now for the "however"s.... I compare all new razors with my 7 favorites. That might not be totally fair because I've only been at this for just under a year and I still have a lot to learn about technique. The SuperSlant doesn't feel "smooth" to me. It isn't that it drags or catches. I'm using a good pre-shave, along with Canada Shaving Soap and it always works well for me. Same SV 2.0 Manchurian brush. Nacet blade on its second use. But the shave wasn't smooth, even on the second and third pass. So WTG, XTG and ATG passes. I was really having trouble along one jaw line and on my chin. I could feel the stubble with my left hand, but couldn't seem to get the razor to catch and cut those areas smooth.

Rather than get razor burn, I picked up my ATT X1 and hit those problem spots with it...... in less than a minute, they were all perfect, by my standards.

So, I could use some advice here. I'm getting what for me are stellar shaves with my other razors. The easy way out is to return to them, but I think the SuperSlant has such potential, I'm am convinced I should figure it out. This time around, I got no cuts or even weepers, so I addressed that. I was using light pressure... but I had changed the handle to the Timeless Ti Crown I use on most of my other top razors. Would returning to a heavier Stainless Steel handle assist me? I have several of them from the razors.

If any of you have questions, suggestions, observations, etc., I'd surely appreciate it.

Kim,

frankly, I wonder if you are patient enough with investigating /evaluating your new razors. Switching razors or base plates after having had just one single shave is perhaps a bit too early?!
Ok, there are razors out there which won't work on your face even if you investigate them more in detail, but it appears the SuperSlant (both plates) might not be one of them.

I'd therefore advise you to testdrive these Superslant plates more often (with different blades loaded) before moving on... a minor adjustment wrt the shaving angle or loading a different blade might perhaps change your initial thoughts significantly...

Besides, you already have found 7 razors which serve you exceptionally well. You have gained a lot of experience in course of your journey. Nowadays, you choose your razors based on own personal experience made and/or recommendation given by others based on the razors you have in your den as a point of reference. This way, new razors you decide to try likely will be part of a "predefined peer group". Perhaps therefore you have reached a point where new razors won't offer a day and night experience due to this "basis for decision making". It's more about the fine differences at this point.

That's a good thing, btw, since the level of "unusable razors" will decrease further or stay very low.
Perhaps you'll manage to find a razor though which might blow all the other 7 razors out of the water. Perhaps you won’t. In any case I'd advise you to take your time with the L2++ and the L3 plate (your struggle with the L2++ plate regarding the chin area might be a hint you should try the L3 again ;).)

Finally, a scallopped top cap vs a regular one won't have a significant impact on your shaving experience, others than aesthetics. Blade gap, weight of the handle, shaving angles and blades, however, might. There's a lot to amend 😉

Regular disclaimer: I might be totally off 🤷‍♂️ 😎

Cheers 😀
Guido

Last edited:
I’ve had a few more shaves with the Superslant L3 and it continues to be very smooth for me and extremely efficient slicing my hair. But my skin is very soft and it’s a bit too much by the end of the shave. Even with a two-pass shave, going extremely gently, it is stressing my skin in some areas. Maybe I will get a L2 plate at some point.

I still enjoy using the L3 and I get excellent shaves and no significant aftershave sting if I stop when I begin to feel it is enough for my skin - and I don’t lack any closeness. I have to remember how efficient it is and use fewer strokes throughout the shave than I do with other razors - and the L3 doesn’t require as many strokes. But I still get the odd weeper, even with two gentle passes and not going over any spot twice. It will slice straight through any bump on my skin as well, without me feeling it.

So I’m getting extremely close and smooth-feeling shaves with a similar sheen on my skin that certain very efficient razors leave. The razor makes my shaves much quicker and I get a comfortable result. But I haven’t managed a completely bloodless shave yet, though I very rarely see any weepers using other razors that are also very efficient for me (e.g. my Wolfman WR2 1.55).

I’m wondering too whether slants make more of a difference on certain types of stubble. For me the extreme efficiency of the Superslant L3 is remarkable, but not everyone detects a big difference using a slant.

Kim,

frankly, I wonder if you are patient enough with investigating /evaluating your new razors. Switching razors or base plates after having had just one single shave is perhaps a bit too early?!
Ok, there are razors out there which won't work on your face even if you investigate them more in detail, but it appears the SuperSlant (both plates) might not be one of them.

I'd therefore advise you to testdrive these Superslant plates more often (with different blades loaded) before moving on... a minor adjustment wrt the shaving angle or loading a different blade might perhaps change your initial thoughts significantly...

Besides, you already have found 7 razors which serve you exceptionally well. You have gained a lot of experience in course of your journey. Nowadays, you choose your razors based on own personal experience made and/or recommendation given by others based on the razors you have in your den as a point of reference. This way, new razors you decide to try likely will be part of a "predefined peer group". Perhaps therefore you have reached a point where new razors won't offer a day and night experience due to this "basis for decision making". It's more about the fine differences at this point.

That's a good thing, btw, since the level of "unusable razors" will decrease further or stay very low.
Perhaps you'll manage to find a razor though which might blow all the other 7 razors out of the water. Perhaps you won’t. In any case I'd advise you to take your time with the L2++ and the L3 plate (your struggle with the L2++ plate regarding the chin area might be a hint you should try the L3 again ;).)

Finally, a scallopped top cap vs a regular one won't have a significant impact on your shaving experience, others than aesthetics. Blade gap, weight of the handle, shaving angles and blades, however, might. There's a lot to amend 😉

Regular disclaimer: I might be totally off 🤷‍♂️ 😎

Cheers 😀
Guido
It makes sense to me. And you get to try tons of blades again with your new razor to see if any of them work well. Blades that I put in the "not for me" column shined in new razors. YMMW as always and you could say "I only shave with Super Iridiums" (*put whatever blade you like here), but you would be missing out. Now I had blades that I knew after the first stroke they are 💩 (PAA and Merkur comes to mind), but most blades I can complete a shave with.

If any of you have questions, suggestions, observations, etc., I'd surely appreciate it. The one observation I did make... when I look at the other razors I've come to enjoy, they all have scalloped safety bars... And I did notice, the SuperSlant bar is smooth and can wipe off the lather more. It's hard to believe that is the issue, but I noticed, it has been mentioned before.

It's tough to say why your experience with the SuperSlant is so different than mine (and most others posting on this thread). I have used it every day for the past week and have had great shaves without even a hint of irritation. Your experience with the SuperSlant reminds me of mine with the Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS). Despite everyone else's positive reaction to that razor, I just couldn't get it to work for me, and I ultimately gave up and sold it on the BST.

Judging by the amount of stubble growth a day after using the L2++ I'm thinking I either need to work on my angle more, or grab an L3 plate when it becomes available again.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks, everyone. I'm not going to move on just yet. As @JAHE said, patience isn't my strong suit. The other razors that have risen to the top of my small collection have made it easy for me. I got great shaves from them right off the bat. It looks like I'll have to work a little more with the SuperSlant. It isn't that the shaves have been bad. I'm getting 12 hour shaves from it. It has taken more effort that usual... .with a bit more blood. I was surprised I had trouble getting the whiskers on my chin removed yesterday, that's all. The rest of the shave was working. I doubt I'm expressing things adequately. My face was getting smooth... but it didn't feel smooth getting there. I'm spoiled, perhaps. The other razors I've been using feel smooth on my face.. and leave my face smooth as well: two for two.

I might be off base here, as well. I've been using razors that I think fit into the "mild but efficient" category or at least, that is my impression. Does the SuperSlant fit into this category? I don't know enough to know. That could be at issue here: my lack of experience. As "they" say: experience is a dear teacher. We often don't know we don't know until we know. As I told @Butch Waxx , I think I'll get a few shaves with one of my other razors then circle back to the SuperSlant. The horse isn't dead yet... but could use a few days enjoying the pastures to recover.

Thanks, everyone. I'm not going to move on just yet. As @JAHE said, patience isn't my strong suit. The other razors that have risen to the top of my small collection have made it easy for me. I got great shaves from them right off the bat. It looks like I'll have to work a little more with the SuperSlant. It isn't that the shaves have been bad. I'm getting 12 hour shaves from it. It has taken more effort that usual... .with a bit more blood. I was surprised I had trouble getting the whiskers on my chin removed yesterday, that's all. The rest of the shave was working. I doubt I'm expressing things adequately. My face was getting smooth... but it didn't feel smooth getting there. I'm spoiled, perhaps. The other razors I've been using feel smooth on my face.. and leave my face smooth as well: two for two.

I might be off base here, as well. I've been using razors that I think fit into the "mild but efficient" category or at least, that is my impression. Does the SuperSlant fit into this category? I don't know enough to know. That could be at issue here: my lack of experience. As "they" say: experience is a dear teacher. We often don't know we don't know until we know. As I told @Butch Waxx , I think I'll get a few shaves with one of my other razors then circle back to the SuperSlant. The horse isn't dead yet... but could use a few days enjoying the pastures to recover.
I'm not sure what other razors you are considering "mild but efficient" so it's hard to say if I would include the SuperSlant in that group. My other favorite razors right now all have somewhat more blede feel than the SuperSlant, so I would say that the SuperSlant is smoother (milder?) than they are. Those razors are the Lupo .95 Open Comb, Karve Christopher Bradley with G Plate, Blackland Dart and Muhle Rocca. From an efficiency standpoint, I feel like I would put the SuperSlant in the same category as the Rocca, just a touch below the other three.

Top Bottom